A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

7K Thoughts and puzzles

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7K Thoughts and puzzles

We just turned over 7,000 miles on our 2017 allroad Prestige and are definitely enjoying the ride. Superb fuel economy, too. Still on the OEM Contis for now and even though we are in Colorado we have had no snow here on the front range (Colorado Springs), so no experience with that. We're headed to Breckenridge for skiing soon so will see how it goes. HANDLING has been criticized, but so far I am fine with it coming from an X3. Around town I keep it set to Auto for a better ride on rough pavement plus the transmission shifts are better suited to high traffic or stop and go situations. Dynamic is a good setting otherwise. DRIVER ASSIST is ok, but not great. The adaptive cruise is convenient. We have a second home downtown Denver and spend quite a bit of time on I25 where it is nice to have the feature. The lane assist is pretty annoying at times, but I do use it now and again. The system is not as smart as I'd like for it to be in anticipating slowdowns, etc. Between here and Denver the allroad is really just a point A to point B car although and exceptionally nice and comfortable one. Where it shines is on mountain roads where cruise is not desired. NAV is pretty worthless in my opinion. I asked for directions to the Restore which is about 4 miles and the system insisted I needed to go to Austin TX. We use our iPhones. We really like the B&O sound -- much better than the X3 and the media capability is quite nice. Room and comfort are first rate from our experience. We have not found Audi Connect or Serius worth subscribing to -- just our preference. Our salesman in Denver promised to help me find a solution to the trailer hitch problem but never stepped up to do it. The service writer suggested going to UHaul! Invisihitch is now providing a solution, so all is good. Now PUZZLES: When I shut off the engine it automatically goes to Park and many times it sets the parking brake as well. I like that. Sometimes it goes to Park but does not set the brake. I thought maybe there was a setting for that. Both Audi NA and the dealer are puzzled. As far as they know it is not programmed to set the brake at all and there is no setting for it. Odd. Frequently I plug in my phone and the car does not recognize it so does not launch Apple Play. Sometimes the Nav system does not know the sun is out and keeps the darkened screen. Last Sunday we got into the car while running errands and it would not start. It did not recognize the key. We had both keys with us. It said to refer to the owners manual which showed a picture of where to place the key in the center console. The picture was not quite accurate and the light in the car was not good, so we could not find the exact spot. I called roadside assistance but all they can do is tow -- they have no knowledge of the cars. No customer service on Sunday. Using a flashlight I searched for the exact spot to place the key to reactivate it and found it, but the indication is not a label, but an icon cast into the console lining -- black on black so not really visible without good light. This was not a pleasant experience. So a few discrepancies here and there, but overall a spectacular vehicle and did I mention we love driving this car.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EEMan
We just turned over 7,000 miles on our 2017 allroad Prestige and are definitely enjoying the ride. Superb fuel economy, too. Still on the OEM Contis for now and even though we are in Colorado we have had no snow here on the front range (Colorado Springs), so no experience with that. We're headed to Breckenridge for skiing soon so will see how it goes. HANDLING has been criticized, but so far I am fine with it coming from an X3. Around town I keep it set to Auto for a better ride on rough pavement plus the transmission shifts are better suited to high traffic or stop and go situations. Dynamic is a good setting otherwise. DRIVER ASSIST is ok, but not great. The adaptive cruise is convenient. We have a second home downtown Denver and spend quite a bit of time on I25 where it is nice to have the feature. The lane assist is pretty annoying at times, but I do use it now and again. The system is not as smart as I'd like for it to be in anticipating slowdowns, etc. Between here and Denver the allroad is really just a point A to point B car although and exceptionally nice and comfortable one. Where it shines is on mountain roads where cruise is not desired. NAV is pretty worthless in my opinion. I asked for directions to the Restore which is about 4 miles and the system insisted I needed to go to Austin TX. We use our iPhones. We really like the B&O sound -- much better than the X3 and the media capability is quite nice. Room and comfort are first rate from our experience. We have not found Audi Connect or Serius worth subscribing to -- just our preference. Our salesman in Denver promised to help me find a solution to the trailer hitch problem but never stepped up to do it. The service writer suggested going to UHaul! Invisihitch is now providing a solution, so all is good. Now PUZZLES: When I shut off the engine it automatically goes to Park and many times it sets the parking brake as well. I like that. Sometimes it goes to Park but does not set the brake. I thought maybe there was a setting for that. Both Audi NA and the dealer are puzzled. As far as they know it is not programmed to set the brake at all and there is no setting for it. Odd. Frequently I plug in my phone and the car does not recognize it so does not launch Apple Play. Sometimes the Nav system does not know the sun is out and keeps the darkened screen. Last Sunday we got into the car while running errands and it would not start. It did not recognize the key. We had both keys with us. It said to refer to the owners manual which showed a picture of where to place the key in the center console. The picture was not quite accurate and the light in the car was not good, so we could not find the exact spot. I called roadside assistance but all they can do is tow -- they have no knowledge of the cars. No customer service on Sunday. Using a flashlight I searched for the exact spot to place the key to reactivate it and found it, but the indication is not a label, but an icon cast into the console lining -- black on black so not really visible without good light. This was not a pleasant experience. So a few discrepancies here and there, but overall a spectacular vehicle and did I mention we love driving this car.
I have the same comments on the NAV and CarPlay. Sometimes CarPlay just disappears in the middle of a drive. Generally unplugging and replugging it, sometimes multiple times, gets it back on. Same issues with intermittent parking brake activation- so I always check it.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with the auto parking brake is that it only activates when the car is on an incline. Otherwise, Park is enough to hold the car in place. I basically never touch it... if the car decides it needs it, cool, otherwise no biggie.

Agree with NAV and CarPlay. And I'm really unhappy with a feature that I'm sure most people don't even use... I still buy music on CD ('cause I'm old!) and thought the idea of being able to rip CD's directly to the car's hard drive sounded great. For some crazy reason that no one can explain, music imported via that method gets loaded in ALPHABETICAL ORDER not the order of tracks on the CD. Are you serious?!?!?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if you rip the CD from your computer onto the SD card and then insert it into the car, would that shift the order of the tracks?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIIVIO
What if you rip the CD from your computer onto the SD card and then insert it into the car, would that shift the order of the tracks?
That does, in fact, work. Just dumb that a feature they created to be helpful is basically useless!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by archrenov8
I have the same comments on the NAV and CarPlay. Sometimes CarPlay just disappears in the middle of a drive. Generally unplugging and replugging it, sometimes multiple times, gets it back on.
I've actually avoided using Carplay becasue its known to be finicky. I believe this is an Apple thing though (not an Audi thing). I simply stream Spotify over the bluetooth connection and so far and have had zero issues. Have not really even used Carplay.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:58 PM
BSW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also in CO, (boulder county) so we had some rather finicky icy conditions on labor day and the car performed admirably in slick conditions, especially given the stock tires which i usually don't expect much from. Not like dedicated snows like i've had on other cars, but perfectly survivable for 98% of conditions.

Carplay: Pandora is hit and miss, though it seems to have improved lately, sometimes it finds my stations, sometimes not. Unfortunately it seems that with the last iOS update they introduced a new bug where if you listen to or respond to a text via siri (voice) it won't go back to the radio unless i unplug it. kind of an annoyance since it might happen repeatedly. No problems with it randomly disappearing though.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbrown
My experience with the auto parking brake is that it only activates when the car is on an incline. Otherwise, Park is enough to hold the car in place. I basically never touch it... if the car decides it needs it, cool, otherwise no biggie.

Agree with NAV and CarPlay. And I'm really unhappy with a feature that I'm sure most people don't even use... I still buy music on CD ('cause I'm old!) and thought the idea of being able to rip CD's directly to the car's hard drive sounded great. For some crazy reason that no one can explain, music imported via that method gets loaded in ALPHABETICAL ORDER not the order of tracks on the CD. Are you serious?!?!?
I'll second the parking brake setting automatically on an incline.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pbrown

I have had a situation once or twice where I thought the car was turned off and in park, but wasn't, and as I started opening the door, the car was rolling (in gear). Not good. So since we have this electronic, rather than mechanical gear selector, I make sure that the parking brake is engaged before I open the door.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also just hit 7K in Colorado. Overall very pleased with the car. I agree Apple CarPlay is very finicky and I gave up on it after a few weeks. One other MMI feature I find annoying is that it always reverts to radio station list after the car is turned off. I always like it on my preset list and have to change to that manually every time. Another minor annoyance I noticed the other day is the owner's manual won't fit in the tiny glove box. I tried different orientations for 10 minutes and finally gave up and stuck it under the passenger seat. I love the in dash Google Earth but not sure I will pay for it after the trial ends. The navigation is nowhere near as good as phone-based Google Maps, it significantly overestimates travel time and traffic delays and does not always show better routes that Google finds. These are just minor gripes, the car itself has performed flawlessly and I have yet to find anything needing warranty repair. Is the 10,000 mile oil change free?

Quick Reply: 7K Thoughts and puzzles