Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

DIY Brakes - kits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Brakes - kits?

Dealer wants ~$2200 for brakes so I plan on tackling them myself.
Would like to buy everything in one go, looks like ECS Tuning has complete kits - anybody with any experience or recommendations?

Option #1 - $970
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...7l6698302kkt7/
Featuring StopTech Slotted rotors and EBC Redstuff pads

Option #2 - $1346
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...7l6698302kkt6/
Featuring EBC GD Series Dimpled & Slotted rotors and EBC Redstuff pads

Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

I used FCPeuro and ordered Zimmerman discs, Textar pads, all bolts, sensors and caliper slide kits for around $650. FCP has a lifetime warranty, that I figure I'll be using to replace all of that every other year or so from the consensus here on how often the Q7 eats brakes. So pay once, and live forever!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Built4Sin
I used FCPeuro and ordered Zimmerman discs, Textar pads, all bolts, sensors and caliper slide kits for around $650. FCP has a lifetime warranty, that I figure I'll be using to replace all of that every other year or so from the consensus here on how often the Q7 eats brakes. So pay once, and live forever!
They have a lifetime warranty on wear items? Sounds like a great deal
Old 01-19-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep lots of people use them specifically for that; I just placed an order with them a few weeks ago that has yet to be delivered, (UPS lost it). With that I was going to try the system out, all the wiper blades, fuel filter, oil filter, interior and exterior air filters... All replaced less the shipping back to them in the OE boxes, I last replaced in July. But looks like I have another week or two until that happens...
Old 01-19-2018, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep lots of people use them specifically for that; I just placed an order with them a few weeks ago that has yet to be delivered, (UPS lost it). With that I was going to try the system out, all the wiper blades, fuel filter, oil filter, interior and exterior air filters... All replaced less the shipping back to them in the OE boxes, I last replaced in July. But looks like I have another week or two until that happens...

This seems like a great deal. I did the same with autozone with my previous cars. Rotors only covered for 2 years though...

Also, if anyone figures out a trick for removing the rear caliper bolts (without a lift) let me know. I have tried several times to no avail. I just ordered a 1/2 M16 bit to get less flex with all the extensions to see if that helps bit without the ability to get any leverage I'm not sure if it will help.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How do you warrant for a lifetime a wearable item such as brakes? So if the pads wear down and are no longer functional fcpeuro just gives you a new set? Has anyone exercised this warranty?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Its on there site. I'll post a thread here when I get mine and do it for future reference.

1. My take is you order the original part, later you decide to replace it and order another new part. You then request an RMA for the old part and they refund the new part you ordered cost.
Or #2 you could RMA and return the original part and wait to receive the new part. I'm running with option 1 so I can avoid down time.

They do it with anything they sell, except aerosol canned products. Others are returning things like used oil! I'll try that next time, this order included oil, but that'll be changed 5-6 months from now.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please provide links to these
Old 03-25-2018, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Q7AudiJay
How do you warrant for a lifetime a wearable item such as brakes? So if the pads wear down and are no longer functional fcpeuro just gives you a new set? Has anyone exercised this warranty?
The lifetime warranty is for DEFECTS normal wear is not covered. and wear from improper installation is not covered etc etc etc.
Basically there is no scenario where a break shoe is going to fail that you are going to prove it was the shoes fault likewise for a drum. I could go on explaining why that is but I dont feel like typing for an hour, lol.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bspurloc
The lifetime warranty is for DEFECTS normal wear is not covered. and wear from improper installation is not covered etc etc etc.
Basically there is no scenario where a break shoe is going to fail that you are going to prove it was the shoes fault likewise for a drum. I could go on explaining why that is but I dont feel like typing for an hour, lol.
Wrong. https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/returns-and-exchanges

Looks like you're in luck. August time frame I ordered, a fuel filter, oil filter, cabin filter, front and rear Q7 wiper blades, and engine air filters (1 for the Q7 & 1 for the BMW).

I then ordered another set of the above with some other stuff and sent back the used items below on their RMA and days later was refunded the entire price of each of the items, a hair under $150. I was a little skeptical like most of you so here you are. I'll probably do the brakes around Jan 1 of next year, by that point we should have about 20k on them. I haven't sent oil yet, but when the next change comes I'll be doing all of the above again with oil tossed in!

Quick Reply: DIY Brakes - kits?