A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wash- misty windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wash- misty windows

When I go through a "Touchless" car wash here in Anchorage my interior windows get so moist that I can barely see to drive. I've never had this problem with any of my other Audis. I usually just open the windows (NICE in this weather) and the problem is solved. Something tells me that Angela Merkel's A8 driver doesn't have to do this after every wash. . . Maybe I sweat a lot. . . Answers?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

You should check all the usual water ingress paths. Given various D4 posts in past year, honestly maybe check the most appalling one first--is the front windshield glued in properly? Search if not familiar w/ issue. Perhaps with thick towel covering forward part of console first and another in hand to mop up, first have an assistant try spraying front upper center of windshield right above inside mirror while you are inside to watch. If any water, immediately stop, mop up and head to your nearest glass shop for either a refitted or new windshield. If by chance replaced before, look for your install warranty to make good.

After that, perhaps check cowl drains next. You need to pull up the plastic cover in cowl area under the hood and behind motor. Clean out that whole underneath area if you see plant and other debris. If you park under trees or recall leaves or needles on your car more than rarely, expect to find plant crap in there. I use an air nozzle to blow the crap out. On D4 you have to remove wiper arms to get it fully off, but maybe you can get it open enough to inspect and get air nozzle in while blowing junk out. I undo both sides and then either have it off or have assistant hold far side open while I blow the air in the near side. Then reverse and repeat half a dozen times. Another area is sunroof drains, but a hunch is that is less likely; usually obvious water dripping down inside if those are plugged. Final are heater core drains, but I would expect those to act up more not just at car washes. More noticeable in summer with some A/C. Not as common to see issues there as the others.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by N2AK
When I go through a "Touchless" car wash here in Anchorage my interior windows get so moist that I can barely see to drive. I've never had this problem with any of my other Audis. I usually just open the windows (NICE in this weather) and the problem is solved. Something tells me that Angela Merkel's A8 driver doesn't have to do this after every wash. . . Maybe I sweat a lot. . . Answers?
Check if your climate control system is on when going through the carwash. If your fans are set to draw in exterior air, you may simply be filling your car with the hot, moist air from the carwash. That will fog your windows.

The simple solution is to turn off the fan, or set it to recirculate interior air while going thorough the carwash.