A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need y'alls expetiese please

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need y'alls expetiese please

today I was In the drive through and shut my car off with it being in drive, so I put it in park with the car off. I went to go turn the car on and it would not crank. No noise after turn key.

all of the light on dash work everything works but the crazy thing is when I turn the key to turn on it will only let me try starting it once like it won't let me turn it multiple times just once then I have to turn it to acc then try starting again with no luck doesn't start. Disconnected battery, fuses, tried to jump the car. No luck. In my 10+ years working on cars I've never seen something like this. The only code was p0706 and I cleared it and no luck.

my car is a 2004 Audi a6 2.4 Quattro with 153000 miles. New water pump timing belt thermostat plugs

HAS ANYBODY EVER RUN INTO THIS ISSUE IF so please help me it's my only car
Old 01-21-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Ddrt9786
today I was In the drive through and shut my car off with it being in drive, so I put it in park with the car off. I went to go turn the car on and it would not crank. No noise after turn key.

all of the light on dash work everything works but the crazy thing is when I turn the key to turn on it will only let me try starting it once like it won't let me turn it multiple times just once then I have to turn it to acc then try starting again with no luck doesn't start. Disconnected battery, fuses, tried to jump the car. No luck. In my 10+ years working on cars I've never seen something like this. The only code was p0706 and I cleared it and no luck.

my car is a 2004 Audi a6 2.4 Quattro with 153000 miles. New water pump timing belt thermostat plugs

HAS ANYBODY EVER RUN INTO THIS ISSUE IF so please help me it's my only car
you can only try one time then must turn all they way back to acc to try again is normal my a6 does this also cold weather can cause a starter that's going bad to give up the ghost lol try a voltage drop test to the starter
Old 01-22-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mac Nina Richardson
you can only try one time then must turn all they way back to acc to try again is normal my a6 does this also cold weather can cause a starter that's going bad to give up the ghost lol try a voltage drop test to the starter
starter is fine
Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the ECU doesn't recognize that the car is in Park. You might try turning the key on, then run the shifter up and down the gears. Does the display show Park, Rev, Neutral and Drive? Just a thought...I don't think I've ever shut mine off in Drive, but hard to believe it kills the car. You kind of lost me when you say it will let you try to start. If it makes no noise, how do you know whether it's trying or not.....?

Last edited by meternerd; 01-22-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just looked up P0706 and it's Transmission Range Sensor, so I'd bet that's why it won't crank. Not sure how you reset it. Clearing the MIL doesn't always clear the fault. You may be able to "adapt" it if you have VCDS.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by meternerd
I just looked up P0706 and it's Transmission Range Sensor, so I'd bet that's why it won't crank. Not sure how you reset it. Clearing the MIL doesn't always clear the fault. You may be able to "adapt" it if you have VCDS.
I cleared the code with my scan tool but still won't crank over. What if I bypass the ignition switch and try starting it with the starter and how would I do that?

I was also thinking about resetting the way to see if it would get rid of that code completely.

and it does display prone when key is turned.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mac Nina Richardson

what is a voltage drop test???? When I turn the key the volts drop wayyyy down especially if I turn the lights on and try to turn it
Old 01-25-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ddrt9786
I cleared the code with my scan tool but still won't crank over. What if I bypass the ignition switch and try starting it with the starter and how would I do that?

I was also thinking about resetting the way to see if it would get rid of that code completely.

and it does display prone when key is turned.
I have no idea what "resetting the way" and display "prone" means. But...if your voltage drops significantly, that means the the starter is trying to turn but is bound up, or you have a wiring fault in the start circuit, or you have a battery connection problem, (positive or ground). Sounds to me like a starter problem. Resetting the code only clears the memory, but does not do anything to fix the problem that gave you the code in the first place. If it's a range sensor problem, it shoudn't try to start at all. You should still hear some kind of click if it's trying to start. Hard to tell what's going on by your description. Have you had your battery tested?

Trying to start by bypassing things can create more problems than they solve.....immobilizer, ECU inputs, etc. I wouldn't start connecting jumpers if it was me....
Old 01-25-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

The voltage drop test is what it sounds like you have already done. Hook a good voltmeter up at the battery. Watch what it does when you hit the key. The battery voltage on the meter should only drop a couple of volts, 3 or 4 at the most. If you don't have a meter then observe the headlights when cranking. They should dim a little but if the dim a lot then your battery voltage is low. The starter should not draw the battery down a lot unless the starter is dragging, binding up, or shot. Based on your post on Jan. 23rd, I would say you need a starter. Something is putting an extra load on the starter and not allowing it to turn. Or it could be a lack of battery power. A wet cell battery loses approximately 80% of its cold cranking amperage if the ambient temperature drops to the single digits Fahrenheit. (0 to +10F)
Old 01-26-2018, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was trying to type ECU but auto correct made it something else. And prone was supposed to be PRND

I read somewhere that resetting the ecu would maybe work