TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Comparing '18 S5 Sportback, '18 RS3, and '18 TT RS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Comparing '18 S5 Sportback, '18 RS3, and '18 TT RS?

As the title says, I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has compared, researched, and driven the 2018 S5 Sportback, RS3, and TT RS. I bought the S5 Sportback fully loaded a week ago, but when I started my new car search, I was partial to the new TT RS. The Audi dealer didn't have a TT RS, only a TT S. Although I was initially interested in the TT S, I knew in buying it I would have been making a compromise over the fact that it wasn't a TT RS. So I looked at the beautiful, Tango Red S5 Sportback that sat right next to the TT S, and all the options, safety features, and overall technology made me choose it. But I would like to have something a little quicker, more responsive, more exclusive, and more of an aggressive, semi-exotic look. I would appreciate anyone else's thoughts on this.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

All great cars. RS3 is a Car & Driver 10 best. There are several threads on various forums and magazine articles about RS3 vs TTRS. Track and straight line performance is very similar with the TTRS getting the edge due to its lower weight and cg. Other considerations: RS3 has four doors, four useable seats (rear seats in a TT are cruel and unusual punishment for anything other than small kids) and is $10K less than the TTRS so a better bang for the buck. The RS3 trunk is very small at 10 ft3. The TTRS has the more useful hatchback and more distinctive styling. You will get "What's that?" questions frequently when driving any TT and none in an RS3. The A3 platform is Audi's most popular seller in the US while the TT is the smallest (except for the R8), averaging about 2000/year so the TT is relatively scarce if you like to have something unusual. Also, the TTRS has the virtual dash while the RS3 does not.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
All great cars. RS3 is a Car & Driver 10 best. There are several threads on various forums and magazine articles about RS3 vs TTRS. Track and straight line performance is very similar with the TTRS getting the edge due to its lower weight and cg. Other considerations: RS3 has four doors, four useable seats (rear seats in a TT are cruel and unusual punishment for anything other than small kids) and is $10K less than the TTRS so a better bang for the buck. The RS3 trunk is very small at 10 ft3. The TTRS has the more useful hatchback and more distinctive styling. You will get "What's that?" questions frequently when driving any TT and none in an RS3. The A3 platform is Audi's most popular seller in the US while the TT is the smallest (except for the R8), averaging about 2000/year so the TT is relatively scarce if you like to have something unusual. Also, the TTRS has the virtual dash while the RS3 does not.

Good comparison....and you can get the Technology Pkg on the RS3 which will have the virtual dash. I do want to second the fact that you will get tons of question about "what is it" with the TTRS....and quite a few will actually know and give up thumbs up everywhere.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
As the title says, I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has compared, researched, and driven the 2018 S5 Sportback, RS3, and TT RS. I bought the S5 Sportback fully loaded a week ago, but when I started my new car search, I was partial to the new TT RS. The Audi dealer didn't have a TT RS, only a TT S. Although I was initially interested in the TT S, I knew in buying it I would have been making a compromise over the fact that it wasn't a TT RS. So I looked at the beautiful, Tango Red S5 Sportback that sat right next to the TT S, and all the options, safety features, and overall technology made me choose it. But I would like to have something a little quicker, more responsive, more exclusive, and more of an aggressive, semi-exotic look. I would appreciate anyone else's thoughts on this.
I have both a 2018 S5 Sportback and a 2018 TT-RS. The S5 is a great highway cruiser that fits 4 adults comfortably with a decent amount of get-up and go when needed. The TT-RS on the other hand is an aggressive sports car with a unique look. It is a lot quicker, more responsive, more exclusive than my sportback by far. I chose the TT-RS over the RS3 since I didn't need another 4 door and really liked the looks of the TT-RS.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Grand Touring Sedan (S5 & RS3) vs. Sports Coupe (TTRS) discussion. First decision to be made is your most-intended use, to include whether you regularly need four doors/four adult room or not.

Last edited by Huey52; 01-22-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

All great responses, so thank you all. I especially like the poster who owns both a '18 S5 Sportback and an '18 TT-RS. You would know best! I don't have a regular need to transport four adults around, nor do I need four doors. I just need enough storage space for my son and I to stow our backpacks for the daily drive to school and work, as well as the weekly grocery run. If I need to transport something large, or have to take the whole family, we use my wife's SUV. So I don't really need all the extra space of the S5, but it's a nice to have thing. At this point, though, since my S5, with only 350 miles, is still considered a used car, I could only get around $60K, if that, as it is fully loaded. The TT-RS, on the other hand, would still be more expensive, even is also new. So I would be going into a negative equity situation.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Grand Touring Sedan (S5 & RS3) vs. Sports Coupe (TTRS) discussion. First decision to be made is your most-intended use, to include whether you regularly need four doors/four adult room or not.
I agree completely. Those of us who buy a TT don't consider the lack of rear seat passenger room to be a deficiency, as we don't intend the car to be a conveyance for three or four people. If you need rear passenger room and four doors, the better choice is obvious, as stated by Huey52.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
All great responses, so thank you all. I especially like the poster who owns both a '18 S5 Sportback and an '18 TT-RS. You would know best! I don't have a regular need to transport four adults around, nor do I need four doors. I just need enough storage space for my son and I to stow our backpacks for the daily drive to school and work, as well as the weekly grocery run. If I need to transport something large, or have to take the whole family, we use my wife's SUV. So I don't really need all the extra space of the S5, but it's a nice to have thing. At this point, though, since my S5, with only 350 miles, is still considered a used car, I could only get around $60K, if that, as it is fully loaded. The TT-RS, on the other hand, would still be more expensive, even is also new. So I would be going into a negative equity situation.
I agree 100% that financially it would be a bad decision to sell your new S5 and buy a TT-RS. I was just pointing out that the TT-RS checked all the boxes and then some that you listed. Even though the two cars are very different I appreciate what each one was designed to be. When I've driven one for awhile and then drive the other one I'm not disappointed in the least that the S5 isn't as fast or the TT-RS isn't as comfortable. I think Audi did a great job designing/producing each for what they aimed for.

P.S. Tango Red S5 Sportbacks ROCK!
Old 01-22-2018, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audphile
I agree 100% that financially it would be a bad decision to sell your new S5 and buy a TT-RS. I was just pointing out that the TT-RS checked all the boxes and then some that you listed. Even though the two cars are very different I appreciate what each one was designed to be. When I've driven one for awhile and then drive the other one I'm not disappointed in the least that the S5 isn't as fast or the TT-RS isn't as comfortable. I think Audi did a great job designing/producing each for what they aimed for.

P.S. Tango Red S5 Sportbacks ROCK!
Yeah, I'll probably just have to hang on to the S5. Not a bad situation to be in, but I've always had that need for speed, ha-ha. But the way, I see you are in Maryland. What part? I grew up in PG County.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This issue comes up more than I would have thought. This is one area dealers do a disservice to buyers. Every car under the sun feels great on the 5 minute drive around the block. I’m sure that’s the plan. Makes the process easy on them because you buy it and it’s no longer their problem.

Enough with the ranting. Have you thought about a Porsche Cayman or a BMW M2? Could get either for around $60k (used Cayman) and they are likely to have the dynamics and ability to reach extra illegal speeds you crave.

Quick Reply: Comparing '18 S5 Sportback, '18 RS3, and '18 TT RS?