Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

5 tires in 7500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 tires in 7500 miles

Sorry i posted this earlier in The wrong thread.
New to the forum. I lease a 2017 s3 with low profile pirelli pzero tires. Three front right tires got bubbles. One front left tire sidewall blew out and another i had a tear below the sidewall where the tire touches the outer rim and that tire was one day old. No issues with the rear tires and i always keep the psi at the recommended 44psi. Is anyone else having issues with their tires? Can this be a manufacturer defect or an issue with the cars suspension? I drive very carefully and I’m really confused. 5 tire replacements is alot of money.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I would think the likelihood of 5 bad tires in a row would be rather small. My best guess is that the car keeps getting driven over road hazards that damage the tire. A bubble in the sidewall for example is the result of a tear or hole in the inner liner of the tire, generally caused by an impact strong enough to damage the tire, but not necessarily strong enough to be noticed by the driver. Buy your tires from somewhere with road hazard insurance such as Tirerack and then you don't have to keep paying for replacement tires. It can't hurt to inspect the suspension and wheels. It's not unheard of for dealerships to forget to take out the shipping blocks during PDI. Shipping blocks are plastic pieces that keep the springs from compressing during shipment, so that the cars don't bobble around on rough sea and bang into each other. If they are left in, then the ride would be very rough and you would also have large wheel gaps. If you suspect a bad tire from the factory, you can always pursue a warranty claim with Pirelli. It's also possible that the place who installed your tires doesn't know what they are doing and damage the tires in storage or during installation. You may wanna source the next tire somewhere else and have it installed by another shop to rule out installation issues.

Also, where do you live? The P Zero is a summer performance tire. Not many places in the US where you can drive such a tire safely at this time of the year. Below 45 degrees summer rubber compound gets hard and brittle and is easy to damage.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-21-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhoops44
Sorry i posted this earlier in The wrong thread.
New to the forum. I lease a 2017 s3 with low profile pirelli pzero tires. Three front right tires got bubbles. One front left tire sidewall blew out and another i had a tear below the sidewall where the tire touches the outer rim and that tire was one day old. No issues with the rear tires and i always keep the psi at the recommended 44psi. Is anyone else having issues with their tires? Can this be a manufacturer defect or an issue with the cars suspension? I drive very carefully and I’m really confused. 5 tire replacements is alot of money.
44 psi sounds high. Is this what it says in the door jamb sticker? If so, that pressure is for a fully loaded car. For the correct tire pressures for 1 to 2 passengers, consult your car's owner's manual.

Since your 2017 S3 is leased and is still covered under warranty, I am wondering if you attempted to claim it against the tire manufacturer's warranty. It might be prorated but you should not be paying 100% out of your own pockets to get these defective tires replaced.

It is quite possible for all three tires to have defects especially if they all have sequential serial numbers which means they were all manufactured in the same batch. If you sourced tire #4 and 5 from the same supplier then it may be possible these later tires that also became defective were all part of the same batch of tires.

Last edited by plat27265; 01-21-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
I would think the likelihood of 5 bad tires in a row would be rather small. My best guess is that the car keeps getting driven over road hazards that damage the tire. A bubble in the sidewall for example is the result of a tear or hole in the inner liner of the tire, generally caused by an impact strong enough to damage the tire, but not necessarily strong enough to be noticed by the driver. Buy your tires from somewhere with road hazard insurance such as Tirerack and then you don't have to keep paying for replacement tires. It can't hurt to inspect the suspension and wheels. It's not unheard of for dealerships to forget to take out the shipping blocks during PDI. Shipping blocks are plastic pieces that keep the springs from compressing during shipment, so that the cars don't bobble around on rough sea and bang into each other. If they are left in, then the ride would be very rough and you would also have large wheel gaps. If you suspect a bad tire from the factory, you can always pursue a warranty claim with Pirelli. It's also possible that the place who installed your tires doesn't know what they are doing and damage the tires in storage or during installation. You may wanna source the next tire somewhere else and have it installed by another shop to rule out installation issues.

Also, where do you live? The P Zero is a summer performance tire. Not many places in the US where you can drive such a tire safely at this time of the year. Below 45 degrees summer rubber compound gets hard and brittle and is easy to damage.
Thank you superswiss for the quick response. Everything you’ve mentioned has clarified the issues I am running into. The tires are summer tires and the last 3 tires that needed to be replaced were driven in temperatures below 45 degrees. Would i be able to see the shipping blocks by looking under the wheel well? I have all the tires warranted through mavis tires and pay $65 per replacement u less their is wear in the tread then i paid more. My audi delaership was no help even though pirelli was willing to work with them on replacements. Mavis has been the best allowong me to warranty all tires. Im goin to conaider gettig all seasons. Didnt want too because it was a lease but im considering it now.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by plat27265
44 psi sounds high. Is this what it says in the door jamb sticker? If so, that pressure is for a fully loaded car. For the correct tire pressures for 1 to 2 passengers, consult your car's owner's manual.

Since your 2017 S3 is leased and is still covered under warranty, I am wondering if you attempted to claim it against the tire manufacturer's warranty. It might be prorated but you should not be paying 100% out of your own pockets to get these defective tires replaced.

It is quite possible for all three tires to have defects especially if they all have sequential serial numbers which means they were all manufactured in the same batch. If you sourced tire #4 and 5 from the same supplier then it may be possible these later tires that also became defective were all part of the same batch of tires.
Thank you plat for the quick reply. 44psi does seem high to me as well. It is what it says in the door jamb. Im goin to call up audi and see what they recommend for the winter months and aince i never drice with max load only 2 people tops.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Thank you superswiss for the quick response. Everything you’ve mentioned has clarified the issues I am running into. The tires are summer tires and the last 3 tires that needed to be replaced were driven in temperatures below 45 degrees. Would i be able to see the shipping blocks by looking under the wheel well? I have all the tires warranted through mavis tires and pay $65 per replacement u less their is wear in the tread then i paid more. My audi delaership was no help even though pirelli was willing to work with them on replacements. Mavis has been the best allowong me to warranty all tires. Im goin to conaider gettig all seasons. Didnt want too because it was a lease but im considering it now.
Yes, you would see them. Here are some examples.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads...spection.1271/
Old 01-23-2018, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Pirelli P zeros are not warranted for use below 45 degrees...see the tirerack site for further clarification. What temps were you running in.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman
Pirelli P zeros are not warranted for use below 45 degrees...see the tirerack site for further clarification. What temps were you running in.
I saw that today in the Pirelli brochure that came with the car. I have a feeling that is one of the reasons they got bubbles and the sidewall blew out. I didnt want to get all seasons because the car is a lease but i may have to reconsider
Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

It has been my experience that Continental DW or their new Extreme Contact Sport that replaces it are quite tolerant of cold temps despite being summer tires. I have run them at 20F in snow and they never felt dangerous and I certainly never had any damage. Granted, I’m in the South and these temps are the exception. I had PZeros on the S5 when new. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They have been fine this winter but when it’s really cold I drive the TT on Contis or our Q7 on all seasons.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you plat for the quick reply. 44psi does seem high to me as well. It is what it says in the door jamb. Im goin to call up audi and see what they recommend for the winter months and aince i never drice with max load only 2 people tops.
44 psi is fine, that wouldn't cause these issues, if anything under inflation is a bigger culprit.

That is really unusual - start with the obvious - are you sure your pressure measurements are accurate - gauge is good etc?

Over-loading? (unlikely I know)

Rims ok? No burrs or dents?

Summer tires in cold weather is another possibility, but 40 degrees should be ok (even if the warranty doesn't cover it), my Ps have been under 40 a few times.

Quick Reply: 5 tires in 7500 miles