Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Fidelity platinum plus term care select - should I keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fidelity platinum plus term care select - should I keep it?

Hi all,

the finance manager told me to get the platinum plus term care seldtbplan from fidelity specially since it covers replacement of 1 set front and rear brake pads during the term 48months 50,000 miles. He said the brake pads will usually need replacing around 25,000 miles and cost $1000 a pair. And the plan is for $1200.

It also covered battery replacement
headamp coverage - unlimited headlamps during the term.
Belts and hoses
electrical coverage and wheel alignment coverage -1 wheel alignment

i asked him doesn’t the car warranty covers it he said it’s bumper to bumper but not for wear and tear.
Reading the other thread about brake squeals I am wondering if I should keep this or cancel it. I need to tell him by tomorrow if I want to cancel.

Anyone have ave any experience with this?

i am also going to add geico mechanical breakdown insurance.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I know is that these warranty packages make big money for the dealerships.

If they make big money it is usually not good for the consumer.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for you reply and looks like no one here bought the term care select - platinum plan. Like I said I have to tell them by tomorrow if I want to cancel it.
Let me ask you guys another way, has anyone had to replace their brake pads and if so, how much did they it cost.

I really don't care about the other stuff, but he kept saying that, the previous model, the brake pads had to be replaced within 15,000 miles, but this generation Audi was able to extend it to 25,000 miles.
I am sure they make money, but reading all the brake squeal threads I am just wondering if this makes sense or I should cancel and save myself $1200.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sid369
Thanks for you reply and looks like no one here bought the term care select - platinum plan. Like I said I have to tell them by tomorrow if I want to cancel it.
Let me ask you guys another way, has anyone had to replace their brake pads and if so, how much did they it cost.

I really don't care about the other stuff, but he kept saying that, the previous model, the brake pads had to be replaced within 15,000 miles, but this generation Audi was able to extend it to 25,000 miles.
I am sure they make money, but reading all the brake squeal threads I am just wondering if this makes sense or I should cancel and save myself $1200.
The list price for the front pads is $200 and the rear pads list at $130. Figure 1 hour maximum labor to change a pair of pads, so $300 for all four pads. You are looking at $630 all in IF you have to change your pads during the 4 years the plan covers. Maybe you get an alignment worth $150-200 and a set of wipers as well. That gets me to $900 of value, but you paid $1200 so I would think cancelling is the right move. Finally, I think there is a decent chance you end up with some free pads from Audi once the squeaking brake issue is resolved in which case you will have received next to no value from the plan.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MCSMCS1
The list price for the front pads is $200 and the rear pads list at $130. Figure 1 hour maximum labor to change a pair of pads, so $300 for all four pads. You are looking at $630 all in IF you have to change your pads during the 4 years the plan covers. Maybe you get an alignment worth $150-200 and a set of wipers as well. That gets me to $900 of value, but you paid $1200 so I would think cancelling is the right move. Finally, I think there is a decent chance you end up with some free pads from Audi once the squeaking brake issue is resolved in which case you will have received next to no value from the plan.
Thanks this is the exact type of information I was looking for. I guess I will cancel it then. The blatant lies these dealships make to customers is ridiculous.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW my dealership charges $1800 for a full brake job.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MCSMCS1
And these prices you listed here are for OEM parts right?
Rant - so I emailed the finance manger on Monday and left multiple more than 5 voicemails in the last three days, finally he called me back today, said he did not receive my email (BS). Now he says that I have to bring the car in for him to see the odometer reading, I said I have barely driven the car and I can send him the picture, as it's an hours drive for me to come to the dealership, then I told him how about I facetime him and he can see the car and the odometer in real time. Wait for it, he doe snot know how to use facetime (BS) I told him its not hard I call him, he picks up the call and instead of audio now its a video call, then he sasy you have to come in anyways to sign some papers. I said cant you email me and I will fax them back, nope, they work in the last century. Then he goes to tell me that it will take 8-10 weeks once he submits and the check will go back to my bank. I said hold on what, he said since it was financed, I said part of the deal was financed and I wrote a check to them which included the warranty plan. He said something about the warranty and the contract states that if financing is involved it goes back to the bank. He then tries to still sell it to me, by saying, since you wont get the money back and it will go back to the bank might as well keep it. I said no, I did my research and brake pads don't cost $1000 a pair, I said even if I don't get the money back I want to cancel, atleast it will back to the back and applied towards the principle.

I really hope, the next few years we can buy cars online and not have to deal with dealerships, they are f*cking scumbags and a**holes. Not all dealerships are equal, but these is a trend among German car dealerships to be the biggest a**holes.

Rant over.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

And these prices you listed here are for OEM parts right?
Rant - so I emailed the finance manger on Monday and left multiple more than 5 voicemails in the last three days, finally he called me back today, said he did not receive my email (BS). Now he says that I have to bring the car in for him to see the odometer reading, I said I have barely driven the car and I can send him the picture, as it's an hours drive for me to come to the dealership, then I told him how about I facetime him and he can see the car and the odometer in real time. Wait for it, he doe snot know how to use facetime (BS) I told him its not hard I call him, he picks up the call and instead of audio now its a video call, then he sasy you have to come in anyways to sign some papers. I said cant you email me and I will fax them back, nope, they work in the last century. Then he goes to tell me that it will take 8-10 weeks once he submits and the check will go back to my bank. I said hold on what, he said since it was financed, I said part of the deal was financed and I wrote a check to them which included the warranty plan. He said something about the warranty and the contract states that if financing is involved it goes back to the bank. He then tries to still sell it to me, by saying, since you wont get the money back and it will go back to the bank might as well keep it. I said no, I did my research and brake pads don't cost $1000 a pair, I said even if I don't get the money back I want to cancel, atleast it will back to the back and applied towards the principle.

I really hope, the next few years we can buy cars online and not have to deal with dealerships, they are f*cking scumbags and a**holes. Not all dealerships are equal, but these is a trend among German car dealerships to be the biggest a**holes.

Rant over.
Yes, those are the retail prices for OEM pads which you can verify by looking at the various sellers of OEM Audi parts.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi all,

the finance manager told me to get the platinum plus term care seldtbplan from fidelity specially since it covers replacement of 1 set front and rear brake pads during the term 48months 50,000 miles. He said the brake pads will usually need replacing around 25,000 miles and cost $1000 a pair. And the plan is for $1200.

It also covered battery replacement
headamp coverage - unlimited headlamps during the term.
Belts and hoses
electrical coverage and wheel alignment coverage -1 wheel alignment

i asked him doesn’t the car warranty covers it he said it’s bumper to bumper but not for wear and tear.
Reading the other thread about brake squeals I am wondering if I should keep this or cancel it. I need to tell him by tomorrow if I want to cancel.

Anyone have ave any experience with this?

i am also going to add geico mechanical breakdown insurance.
Say what? Everything you listed is covered under a new vehicle warranty, except the wheel alignment. What are the actual wear and tear items? Brakes you mentioned, which would be great. But I've heard on these boards its not unusual for Audi pads/rotors to go well past 50k. that would be a new experience for me
Old 01-24-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I always find it sad to hear of how people have such terrible experiences with dealerships. I worked at two highline stores for many years and customers would just swing in to say high and look at new models and just waste time...because we were friends. The service folks are upfront and always have my best interest in mind. Had a repair recently where I didn't feel communication was very good and the bill was higher than expected. Was the bill unfair or was I overcharged? No...just the total didn't get communicated with me very well prior to completing the work. Sat down with the service manager and 15 minutes later with a smile and a handshake I left with a $250 check because they wanted to make sure I had a exceptional experience with them. Often there are exceptional stores to work with, but you do have to seek them out.

As far as the warranty goes, it's a 50/50 change on if it's a good value. One rock though a headlight lens and it's paid for itself. If you dealer charges a LOT for brake jobs maybe it's worth it (they don't have to sell parts at OEM price, and few actually do) then it could pay for itself. It's insurance, and only you can decide if it's a good value for you and your expectations. It probably was a reasonably priced option, but certainly no necessary...it's just a gamble on if you will use it. Where you live also can play a part (like my sister in Alaska, where a rock through a headlamp is almost a given every 6 month winter season). And FYI, it IS a very convoluted process to get your money back for a cancelled contract....your dealer was being truthful about that. The insurance provider makes it very frustrating, but you will eventually get your money.

Quick Reply: Fidelity platinum plus term care select - should I keep it?