A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Back to Audi from BMW, a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back to Audi from BMW, a few questions...

Hi everyone,

Just picked up a CPO Cuvee Silver/Black/Burl Walnut 2017 A4 Prestige with Sport/DAP/Cold Weather and loving it so far! It was previously owned by an elderly couple who wanted easier ingress and egress so swapped for a Q5 after a year. Thus I got a great deal and the CPO warranty. I owned a C7 A6 3.0T previously and jumped to a 2014 BMW X5 50i for a bit. While I miss the sound from that wonderful 4.4L TT V8 and even the 3.0T in the C7, the A4 impresses in so many ways and is an improvement over my old C7 A6 in many ways!

So far I love the VC and standard Apple Carplay, the LED lights are also amazing, and the ride is great, even with the sport suspension.

Just had a few questions for you guys as I'm still acclimating to the new car.

1. I'm a bit disappointed with the B&O sound system as compared to the H/K I had in the X5. It may just be that the system hasn't burned in yet and the previous owners may have listened to a different genre of music than I'm used to. I remember doing a search at some point and found a great post with some good B&O settings and I can't remember if its on AW or AZ.

2. I noticed that the B&O metal logos were taken off all of my doors and I searched and found out that there had been a recall. However, after putting in my VIN into the Audi site, I wasn't getting anything. Has anyone affected heard from their dealers on a fix yet?

3. Just wanted to get an idea of what you guys think of the Audi rings/quattro beam lights from the doors? Mine didn't come installed from the dealer but the DIY looks pretty simple to do. That said, I'm still on the fence...

4. Does the ambient light strip on speaker grille of the door(same one where that metal B&O strip logo is) change colors? I was fiddling around with the ambient lighting and was able to change all the colors except for that one. I'm currently on "Impulse Red" but I think it might look better if that strip was also red instead of the white?

5. It could be that I'm coming from an SUV but the lights don't seem to project that far to me. The auto high beam does wonders but I'm wondering if maybe my car's lights might be pointed too low. Anyone else feel this way or has anyone found the small screw that adjusts it (like on most other cars)?

6. I don't have an active Audi Connect subscription but I logged on and took a look anyway. It looks like I am able to download a map update on my computer and install it via a SD card. I've read some conflicting info on how often we get map updates and how many we are able to download them. Do we need Audi Connect to continue getting this service?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jyang7788; 01-22-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Clarified beam lights.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) I found the B&O got better over time, or I got used to it. Especially the subwoofer opened up. Right now I'm Focus = all, Medium 3d, 50% surround, and all EQ set at zero. I listen to all sorts of stuff, pretty loud
2) there was a safety recall on that stupid piece. like it would pop off in an accident and slice you open. There should be a fix for it by now (I haven't taken mine in.)
3) what? making the logo glow? no!
4) I don't have that fancy option. I just get white
5) your just used to being up higher. as for adjusting, that's a great question. I know my last A4 had xenon's that would auto level when I started the car, but honestly haven't paid attention to my new lights
Old 01-22-2018, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 A4 Prestige, manufactured in April 2017.

1) I think the B&O sounds great. Settings are stock.
2) I received a letter around November 2017 about the speaker grill recall. They said they would contact me again when parts are available (I think this February).
3) I have the rings projection. It's cool and people getting into the car always notice it.
4) Don't know. I also have the interior color set to red. The other colors didn't pop out to me.
5) No complaints about the headlights. At first I was confused and couldn't tell if my headlights were on at all (the "Auto" indicator on the light switch changes color when they are on). And I couldn't figure out at first how to turn the high beams on (press forward on the light stalk), I guess because I'd activate them and the car would keep them off because it thought another car was ahead
6) Connect Prime gives you the Google maps. Connect Plus gives you the WiFi hotspot. I renewed Prime but since I can turn on WiFi hotspot on my iPhone, I didn't pay the $120/year for Connect Plus. However, Connect Plus is better then using the hotspot on the iPhone. With Connect Plus, my daughter's iPad always automatically connected to the hotspot. But now that I don't have Connect Plus, I always have to go into my iPhone settings and turn the hotspot off and back on for her to be able to see it.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:18 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Re #6, you can get 5 map updates for free from Audi's web site. They are released twice a year.

While the web site to download them says 'Audi connect' in various places, it is not related to the Audi connect in-car telematics services in any way.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4. B&O light stripe is only white and you can't change the color..
Old 01-22-2018, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree about the headlights and adjusted mine up with a 3/4 turn clockwise using a 6mm or 1/4" Allen wrench / hex key -- they seem much better at that angle and I've had no flashing complaints.

The adjuster is a fairly large white plastic screw on top of the headlight under the hood. The socket shape and location should make it stand out when you take a look.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the great responses! I think I'll order the rings beam and put them on and see if I like them. Good to hear that it is easy to tweak the headlights up a bit too!