TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Audi USA rant

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi USA rant

So, I spoke with my dealership a while back about getting a TTRS wing for my '17 TTS coupe. They basically said they didn't know if it would fit. Today a guy drove up and had a TT roadster with a gloss black wing. He said it was a factory option. I looked it up and sure enough for the coupe and roadster TT you can get it. But NOT for the TTS. I called the dealership and said HEY!!! they both have retractable spoilers.... can I get this? They again, said probably not. Any ideas or suggestions?! Aside from loathing the haldex the car really needs a little spoiler.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&modelCode1=TT
Old 01-22-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The Audi dealership won't fit the wing you want because it is not standard or even optional for your car's VIN. If they retrofit it and something happens to your TTS, the dealership will be on the hook for damages due to its installation. What you can do is buy the wing from the parts counter and install it yourself. Or, have an indy body shop install it for you.

On the other hand, be careful. The rear trunk lid of your TTS may be slightly different from the TT's. For example, my S5's trunk lid is slightly different from the A5's. The trailing edge of the trunk lid is shaped differently to the A5. It is subtle but if you observe it closely, you will notice it. That slight difference prevents the optional A5 spoiler from fitting on my S5's trunk lid. Not that I wanted one for my S5 but I was just curious why the A5's spoiler won't fit on it.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

What exactly is the rant? That it's not a factory option? Or that they aren't sure about fitment?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
What exactly is the rant? That it's not a factory option? Or that they aren't sure about fitment?
+1... I also don't get what the rant is. OP, the high gloss spoiler is part of the competition package for the TT Coupe/Roadster and requires a different trunk lid that deletes the adaptive spoiler. Fitting the fixed spoiler on top of the adaptive spoiler would not only be idiotic, but would most likely compromise the function of the adaptive spoiler and the whole aerodynamics of the car. I guess you could replace the trunk lid on your TTS with one from the TT competition package or the TTRS (w/o adaptive spoiler), paint it, disable the adaptive spoiler so the car doesn't throw any codes and then fit the high gloss fixed spoiler. It's not just a matter of installing the fixed spoiler.

The competition package is otherwise not an option on the TTS and for the TTRS it has the fixed spoiler standard, but at no extra charge you can delete it and get the adaptive spoiler instead, but they are never combined. It's either the fixed spoiler or the adaptive spoiler.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-22-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I'm not sure why on Earth you thought I was trying to have both spoilers at once so there's that... The rant was supposed to be how does a corporation like Audi not know if the parts will fit. Corporate nor 2 other dealerships had any idea or offered any way of finding out. I can't imagine that underneath the aluminum the car is any different from tt to TTS to ttrs as it's either an assembly for the retractable spoiler or fixed. It wouldn't make any sense to have differently manufactured part for 3 different cars that serves the same function. To clarify, I'm talking about the tray where the mechanicals for the retractable spoiler fit. I would have to assume it's stamped pieces and then they put in a kit of either one.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by OhBoyKittens
Ok so I'm not sure why on Earth you thought I was trying to have both spoilers at once so there's that... The rant was supposed to be how does a corporation like Audi not know if the parts will fit. Corporate nor 2 other dealerships had any idea or offered any way of finding out. I can't imagine that underneath the aluminum the car is any different from tt to TTS to ttrs as it's either an assembly for the retractable spoiler or fixed. It wouldn't make any sense to have differently manufactured part for 3 different cars that serves the same function. To clarify, I'm talking about the tray where the mechanicals for the retractable spoiler fit. I would have to assume it's stamped pieces and then they put in a kit of either one.
Audi dealerships will tell you what's available from the factory and there is no fixed spoiler available for the TTS, and therefore as far as they are concerned the one from the TT won't fit. Looking closer at the TTRS, it does look like the fixed spoiler inserts where the adaptive spoiler normally sits. I initially thought it had a solid trunk lid and the fixed spoiler was glued on. That's my mistake. But as was pointed out above, often the shape of the trunk lid is not the same between the base models and the S/RS, so parts are not necessarily interchangeable. You are probably better off talking to a third party tuning shop. Most dealerships work on cars based on the spec. They are not in the business of modifying cars as they don't want the warranty liability if removing and coding out the adaptive spoiler leads to issues. The factory would have to officially offer a supported kit for the TTS to replace the adaptive spoiler with the fixed spoiler along with coding instructions to tell the car that it no longer has the adaptive spoiler, otherwise you'll get error codes as the car is trying to deploy the non-existent spoiler.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by OhBoyKittens
Simple

How many TT's do you think are sold? Now out of those sold, how many are modifying them at the dealership level? Better for a dealer to say they don't know, then give you the wrong info no? Of course Audi's customer support number isn't going to know - that's not a function they serve.

Best bet, as suggested, find the go-to guys for the TT, and ask them. If they don't know, it's likely no one does.

Sometimes, in order to have to rarer stuff, or chart new ground, someone has to be the guinea pig and buy stuff and test it. I've been there before - sometimes things have worked out, sometimes they haven't and I had to either do further mods to make it work, or sell the part and ditch the idea. All part of the journey. That might be you in this instance if it's that important of a mod for you to have.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

If you want your TT to come with RS parts "from the factory" (or the dealer), then buy an RS. The dealer does not make any money from trying to modify people's cars with parts that weren't designed for it.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

True in general, however my dealership made money when associated with Stasis Eng'g and specifically installing a dual exhaust (incl. S5 valance) and tuning my A5. But that was a straightforward 'universal fit' installation.

As already cited if you buy a TTRS part from your dealer's parts dept they will likely be more than happy to take your money to install same. But likely better off with an aftermarket shop more skilled in adaptation.

[but please no mud flaps ]

Originally Posted by macaddict111
If you want your TT to come with RS parts "from the factory" (or the dealer), then buy an RS. The dealer does not make any money from trying to modify people's cars with parts that weren't designed for it.