Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Crack/Gouge in barrel of wheel - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crack/Gouge in barrel of wheel - thoughts?

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum - most of my posts will be neither this long nor this boring!

I'm expecting to take delivery of an Orca Black/Cedar S-Line Technik later this week for my wife. I drive a B9 S4, coming from a B8 S4, and a B7 S4 before that.
In preparation, I started sourcing winter wheels and tires because I wasn't happy with the 19" set offered by the dealership.
I found a set of OEM almost new (apparently about 100kms) take off Q7 S-Line 20s, with the all season run flats. Because our car is coming with the 21 summers (no spare, no run flat), I thought I could use those tires for a cross-country trip we're planning this summer.

Long story, but the guy who I was getting the wheels from (who I have bought tires from before) apparently picked them up from a third party last night. Today, he noticed that there was a gouge or crack in the barrel of one of the wheels. He offered to have it welded by a (reputable) shop his friend owns (I know nothing about their ability to repair wheels). I said okay, and planned to touch it up, and then have it refinished in the spring.
I went this afternoon to have the Nokain winters I ordered mounted, and the tire shop said they wouldn't mount a tire to the welded rim, because they believed the integrity was compromised.
I contacted the seller, who was confident that the wheel was okay, but also offered to take them back.

Does this look like an acceptable repair? Should I be 100% confident in this wheel? I believe the third photo is from the outside of the wheel post-repair. I haven't seen the outside of the wheel, because the seller had the all season remounted (not balanced because he knew I was taking them off) before I got them. It looks as if the scrape that continues to the edge of the rim does not go through, which suggests to me that there was't a crack.
If not, I'm considering just buying a new replacement for this one wheel, because I could get one from ECS and still only be paying slightly more for the set of four rims (excluding the cost I'm attributing to the all season tires) than I would for something like VMR reps. Does this make sense, or should I have doubts about all four of the wheels I bought as a result of the damaged one?

Any insight will be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Crack/Gouge in barrel of wheel - thoughts?-img_0090.jpg   Crack/Gouge in barrel of wheel - thoughts?-img_0092.jpg   Crack/Gouge in barrel of wheel - thoughts?-img_0093-1.jpg   Crack/Gouge in barrel of wheel - thoughts?-img_0094-1.jpg  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn’t risk it. If I had it done personally by a shop I could go back to to hold them to their work, then sure. But taking the word of a guy who had someone do it, then no. Chances are there could be nothing wrong with it but for peace of mind I’d replace.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jimminez
I wouldn’t risk it. If I had it done personally by a shop I could go back to to hold them to their work, then sure. But taking the word of a guy who had someone do it, then no. Chances are there could be nothing wrong with it but for peace of mind I’d replace.
Thanks for the input, that's the way I've been leaning (almost $700 US with shipping for the replacement though!)
Old 01-22-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I’m no wheel expert but I wouldn’t want a
cracked and repaired wheel on any of my vehicle that I take my family and friends out in and risk hurting somebody or worse because a wheel I knew was faulty came apart. Two things I never skimp on, tires (which includes wheels) and brakes, safety comes first.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I’m no wheel expert but I wouldn’t want a
cracked and repaired wheel on any of my vehicle that I take my family and friends out in and risk hurting somebody or worse because a wheel I knew was faulty came apart. Two things I never skimp on, tires (which includes wheels) and brakes, safety comes first.
Thanks!
So the only remaining question is whether I should have any concerns about the other three that look fine - am I better off returning these and starting the search over, or should I just order the single replacement?
Old 01-22-2018, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by devenyi
Thanks!
So the only remaining question is whether I should have any concerns about the other three that look fine - am I better off returning these and starting the search over, or should I just order the single replacement?
I was somewhat irrationally, and definitely prematurely, also dismissing the 19" OEM winter option last winter and had 21" winter tires on my summer rims back then. Eventually, I decided to get the 19" OEM option for this winter after getting a few second opinions on those vs. the 20" winters, including from dealers in two EU countries where there's a 20" OEM winter option is available. Now I regret that I didn't go with the 19" OEM option already last winter, the ride is smoother and handling more nimble than with the 21" (I have air suspension) and they perform great in snow (some may rightfully claim that better winter tires exist, which I can't comment on until having tried such tires on the same rim on this vehicle). So I'd reconsider getting the 19" OEMs. I bought them at a very favorable price from an authorized dealer in the Pacific NW. (I'd never go with a non-OEM option for this vehicle, but each to their own.)
Old 01-22-2018, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by netrom17
I was somewhat irrationally, and definitely prematurely, also dismissing the 19" OEM winter option last winter and had 21" winter tires on my summer rims back then. Eventually, I decided to get the 19" OEM option for this winter after getting a few second opinions on those vs. the 20" winters, including from dealers in two EU countries where there's a 20" OEM winter option is available. Now I regret that I didn't go with the 19" OEM option already last winter, the ride is smoother and handling more nimble than with the 21" (I have air suspension) and they perform great in snow (some may rightfully claim that better winter tires exist, which I can't comment on until having tried such tires on the same rim on this vehicle). So I'd reconsider getting the 19" OEMs. I bought them at a very favorable price from an authorized dealer in the Pacific NW. (I'd never go with a non-OEM option for this vehicle, but each to their own.)
Thanks for the input. Hopefully I don’t regret the decision to do 20s in the winter. I’ve had 19s on my S4s for the last several years and have been happy enough - this is quite a bit more sidewall, and I don’t think a better tire than the Nokian R2 exists. Just ordered the OEM replacement from ECS, which should be here next week. Thanks again for the reassurance that I wasn’t throwing away money by doing this!
Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by devenyi
Thanks for the input. Hopefully I don’t regret the decision to do 20s in the winter. I’ve had 19s on my S4s for the last several years and have been happy enough - this is quite a bit more sidewall, and I don’t think a better tire than the Nokian R2 exists. Just ordered the OEM replacement from ECS, which should be here next week. Thanks again for the reassurance that I wasn’t throwing away money by doing this!
If you are happy with the 19 inch winters on your S4, then you'll be happy with the 20" on the Q7. I'm running 21" Hakka and feel that they are firm but not overly, similar to how the 19" Hakka on my S4.