Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Occasionally Engine Shuts Off When Switch to Park?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Occasionally Engine Shuts Off When Switch to Park?

Ok, maybe I'm missing something really obvious (read gear switching part of manual) but hear me out. I essentially only drive in Sport / Dynamic mode because I hate the auto start / stop feature, want to hear the exhaust, and more responsive throttle.

Having said that, occasionally I will park at work or home, or maybe somewhere else and when I hit the park button the engine shuts off. At first I thought maybe the car is using GPS and predicting I'm at work or home and therefore shuts engine down...but it's not consistent.

So, maybe I'm not in sport or dynamic, say after grabbing the mail and not paying attention for a 150 foot drive? I dunno, but it's got me a bit puzzled. Basically when would the engine shut off if park button is pressed? Only thing I can figure is I think I'm in sport / dynamic and I'm not and it's the auto start / stop feature?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Happens to me too...pull into the garage, hit park, and SOMETIMES it turns off. I haven't really paid enough attention to note trends....I'll pay more attention now to see if I can correlate it to anything.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by emacS5
Happens to me too...pull into the garage, hit park, and SOMETIMES it turns off. I haven't really paid enough attention to note trends....I'll pay more attention now to see if I can correlate it to anything.
Good​​​ to know it's not just me!
Old 01-24-2018, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had it happen often in other modes but not yet in dynamic.In comfort mode if I don't have the heat on or something else drawing a bunch of power it's more consistent.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This happens to me on a daily basis. I assume it is a bug since the car acts "upset" with me when I try to lock it. For example, if the car shuts itself off after pressing park, then I get out of the car, open the hatch, then hit the lock button on the hatch, the first button press only turns off the car, locks, closes the mirrors, but doesn't actually close the hatch (the car also beeps at me like it's not happy). A second press of the lock button on the hatch then actually closes the hatch. If I press the start/stop button INSTEAD of park, then all is well everytime. I've tried to get in the habit of just using start/stop instead of park.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

This is due to the auto stop feature in our cars. When our cars are in S mode the auto stop is disabled so you do not see it. Once the car is switched into Park, S mode is no longer active and if the auto stop cancel button is not activated the car will auto stop if all conditions are met. If you ever want to test it out, just hit the cancel button for the auto stop when the car shuts off in park and you will see that the car will fire right back up. It is never really an issue for me anymore because I am just so used to hitting the auto stop cancel button and recirc button on the climate system right after hitting the start button each time I drive the car.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
This is due to the auto stop feature in our cars. When our cars are in S mode the auto stop is disabled so you do not see it. Once the car is switched into Park, S mode is no longer active and if the auto stop cancel button is not activated the car will auto stop if all conditions are met. If you ever want to test it out, just hit the cancel button for the auto stop when the car shuts off in park and you will see that the car will fire right back up. It is never really an issue for me anymore because I am just so used to hitting the auto stop cancel button and recirc button on the climate system right after hitting the start button each time I drive the car.
Sorry why are you hitting the recirculation button on the climate system... how does that play in?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jonpiro
Sorry why are you hitting the recirculation button on the climate system... how does that play in?

Thanks
The recirc button does not relate at all to the auto start. On my daily commute there is often a diesel in front of me so I will usually have the climate system on recirc to keep the smell out. Since our cars automatically go back to fresh air every time the car is started, I have just gotten into the habbit of hitting both the auto stop button and recirc button right after starting up the car.

I tested out my theory last night on auto stop. I was able to get auto stop to shut the car off when the car was put into park, but it is not the auto stop button that will restart it like I thought above (the system will tell you to use the engine start button to start the car). However, if you put the car into reverse once it shuts off in park, the car will fire right back up.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If it's the Auto Start Stop feature, the tachometer will indicate Ready instead of Off, no?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
The recirc button does not relate at all to the auto start. On my daily commute there is often a diesel in front of me so I will usually have the climate system on recirc to keep the smell out. Since our cars automatically go back to fresh air every time the car is started, I have just gotten into the habbit of hitting both the auto stop button and recirc button right after starting up the car.

I tested out my theory last night on auto stop. I was able to get auto stop to shut the car off when the car was put into park, but it is not the auto stop button that will restart it like I thought above (the system will tell you to use the engine start button to start the car). However, if you put the car into reverse once it shuts off in park, the car will fire right back up.
10-4 thanks, yea one of the very few things I liked in my BMW(s) from the past was the Auto-Recirculation button which worked well for at least me on my 5 and 7 series. Would have liked that in the Audi... oh well.