S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

AudiConnect - can’t define key user

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts
Default AudiConnect - can’t define key user

Hi everyone. I picked up my new Daytona grey S4 yesterday, and love the car.. But my SA and I ran into a snag in one of the final phases of setting up Audi Connect.. She did the dealer verification of my contract.. I received the email from myAudi saying I completed the verification process and now needed to define a key user in the MMI. I was able to sign in to Audi Connect on the MMI, but we were unable to define a key user. The email instructs to:
1) Scratch off the code on the tag — got that
2) Enter the vehicle code with your myAudi username in the Multi Media Interface (MMI) next to the steering wheel under the menu option:
- Audi connect
- Audi connect User Management
- Key user
- Define key user

The issue on my car is that under user management, there is no option for key user under user management. The only option there is to retrieve users (or something of that nature).

After we we were on the phone with AC technical services, they said the car needs to be seen by service because of a known issue that doesn’t initialize AC properly after car is taken out of transport mode, and there was a TSB for it. The dealership looked up what they thought the TSB was, and it involves a full reset on Audi Connect that can take up to two hours to complete. Dealer asked if I wanted to do that yesterday - but I had been there 3 hrs already at that point and just wanted to drive my new car. So I’m going Tuesday morning.

Curious us if anyone else experienced this and found any other workaround that didn’t require service?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 02-09-2018, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't say that I've experienced THAT particular issue, but I CAN tell you that Audi Connect has been frought with bugs and gremlins since day 1 of the GEN2 release.

There were MANY fixes, workarounds, and tricks that were used to resolve some of these -- but in this case, you most assuredly need to go back to the dealership to get that update.

Sorry for the issue, but that's the only thing that will fix it.

I personally really like Audi Connect (specifically the MMI App), but it's not worth the $500 year that Audi wants for the privilege. Enjoy your free six months, but don't get attached, unless you have money to burn.

gr
Old 02-09-2018, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks.. I discussed my displeasure at having to bring the car I was there to take delivery of back for service a few days later to the AudiConnect rep, and she seemed to indicate I should call back once its all resolved and they would make it up to me by extending the trial some amount of time. We'll see when its finally working.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I had the same issue with my S5 Sportback, took it to the dealer and they took a few hours to fix it. Didn't bother to ask what was the cause. Built in November'17
Old 02-09-2018, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I fixed it myself today.. It was really easy. And emailed my SA on what not to do in the future. She had me sign in to myAudi on the MMI before doing the key user thing. That apparently makes the set up key user menu thing go away.. Solution was to sign out of MMI. Then the key user stuff appeared. Entered the myAudi username and the ten digit code. That validated and asked if I wanted to associate my name as a key user. Done. All the myConnect functions are now working including the WiFi, remote unlock, vehicle location, status checks, etc.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

On both of our 2018's, we had our dealer do the work for us -- and even our expert SA had issues and had to be on the phone with someone at Audi while he brought it to life. I'm thinking I better not get a new iPhone -- but, damn, I'm on a 6S, and would like, sometime this year to upgrade. I'm just concerned I'd lose my MMI app's ability to connect.

First World problem, I know.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good news, and I'm happy to be wrong on that one! Like I said....new issues come-up everyday, and the workarounds aren't always obvious.
Good onya for figuring it out.

Mark- fear not friend!

I use a 7+ and it's worked "mostly" fine, since day 1. Most of my issues stem from new updates from Apple messing with Carplay, but the MMI and bluetooth functionality never miss a beat.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
Good news, and I'm happy to be wrong on that one! Like I said....new issues come-up everyday, and the workarounds aren't always obvious.
Good onya for figuring it out.

Mark- fear not friend!

I use a 7+ and it's worked "mostly" fine, since day 1. Most of my issues stem from new updates from Apple messing with Carplay, but the MMI and bluetooth functionality never miss a beat.
Apple X--no issues at all....
Old 03-09-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickNY
Hi everyone. I picked up my new Daytona grey S4 yesterday, and love the car.. But my SA and I ran into a snag in one of the final phases of setting up Audi Connect.. She did the dealer verification of my contract.. I received the email from myAudi saying I completed the verification process and now needed to define a key user in the MMI. I was able to sign in to Audi Connect on the MMI, but we were unable to define a key user. The email instructs to:
1) Scratch off the code on the tag — got that
2) Enter the vehicle code with your myAudi username in the Multi Media Interface (MMI) next to the steering wheel under the menu option:
- Audi connect
- Audi connect User Management
- Key user
- Define key user

The issue on my car is that under user management, there is no option for key user under user management. The only option there is to retrieve users (or something of that nature).

After we we were on the phone with AC technical services, they said the car needs to be seen by service because of a known issue that doesn’t initialize AC properly after car is taken out of transport mode, and there was a TSB for it. The dealership looked up what they thought the TSB was, and it involves a full reset on Audi Connect that can take up to two hours to complete. Dealer asked if I wanted to do that yesterday - but I had been there 3 hrs already at that point and just wanted to drive my new car. So I’m going Tuesday morning.

Curious us if anyone else experienced this and found any other workaround that didn’t require service?

Thanks,
Rick
I have the same issue and haven't found a work around. I wasn't sure it was worth the effort.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

tl;dr: in your car press "log out" in MMI, then switch off the car, then go back in. Voila 'key user' field is there. Oh and username email = ALL CAPS, even if you thought it wasn't.

Originally Posted by Buckeye96
I have the same issue and haven't found a work around. I wasn't sure it was worth the effort.
Ok, to avoid further irritation here's what I did to get it working:

Symptom: you got your brand spanking new Audi with MMI (in my case an SQ5), and in order to activate functionality like remote status report, remote locking, etc, you have to become the key user. However even after doing all the paperwork, the friggin' MMI menu does NOT show you a 'Key User' field. Instead you just get this lousy 'no users - refresh list of users' message.

So, here's what worked:

1) Menu -> Audi connect -> Options -> Log out (!)
2) Switch the car off and make sure the nav system actually shuts down. Your display might go into sleep mode. Want to speed this up? step out & lock your car.
3) Get back in, start ignition (not engine), go back to 'Menu -> Audi connect -> Options -> Audi connect user management'

Marvel at the beauty that is "Key user - add key user". At this point you think: Success! However, more to come:

4) As the username use your myAudi account email address that was used with the dealer activation paperwork. IN ALL CAPS. Everything. Even the ".com " or whatever you have. All in caps! Even if your registration email shows lower case.
5) Then use that silly 10 digit code (hidden behind a scratch-off surface) as the password

Now you're golden. It'll tell you that you are now the key user.

Go back to the MyAudi portal, log back in or refresh the page that has the connect services widgets, and you'll now be able to remotely set geofencing, see a report of the car, see status of doors, etc.

In the mean time, if Audi AG is reading, PLEASE update your damn documentation to show what happens if the menu isn't exactly what it shows in your PDFs. (e.g. this one is broken as it misses the whole point of becoming a key user when you are in a half activated audi connect situation: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...etup-Guide.pdf )

Lastly: if you get a 'Great there is NO myAudi account registered' then you have a) successfully typed in the 10 digit code, but b) typo'd your email address.

Security through obscurity. Please next time just have the email give us an image that we show one of the myriad cameras of the car. See "Whatsapp Web" for a MUCH easier way to solve for this problem.

Quick Reply: AudiConnect - can’t define key user