A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Sport Mode JEEEZ!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Sport Mode JEEEZ!

I like everything about my A4 really a great car. But that Sport mode makes the car feel like its possessed!
It's jerky and I can't find myself able to drive int hat mode I just leave in dynamic and in the city bumpy roads I switch to comfort.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I keep my Allroad in Dynamic just about all the time, except the few times I'm on the highway and want to pass or just have a little more of a spirited drive. Never in the city or around town, serves no purpose other than to waste gas.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree I'll never use the sport mode I tried it out to see what it could do. I don't expect much from the engine power wise I have the 190hp.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

S mode is jumpy but holy what a difference it makes
Old 02-11-2018, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree the first time I went into Sport I was surprised. A large part is the throttle response is faster: takes less pedal to get the engine going fast.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Well sport and 'dynamic' mode are meant for sporty driving after all, not for driving around town. Sport mode is automatically engaged if 'dynamic' mode is selected. They go hand in hand. Sport is synonym for engine/transmission in 'dynamic'. If you find an A4 possessed in sport mode, I'm curious what you would think of an RS or the R8 in sport mode :-). The A4 Sport mode is about as engaging as 'comfort' mode in my RS5 ;-).
Old 02-11-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
Well sport and 'dynamic' mode are meant for sporty driving after all, not for driving around town. Sport mode is automatically engaged if 'dynamic' mode is selected. They go hand in hand. Sport is synonym for engine/transmission in 'dynamic'. If you find an A4 possessed in sport mode, I'm curious what you would think of an RS or the R8 in sport mode :-). The A4 Sport mode is about as engaging as 'comfort' mode in my RS5 ;-).
I'm confused here. I have the A4 Allroad and drive often in Dynamic mode, but Sport mode only gets engaged when I move the shifter to that mode.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I'm confused here. I have the A4 Allroad and drive often in Dynamic mode, but Sport mode only gets engaged when I move the shifter to that mode.
If you change to 'dynamic' from 'comfort', 'auto' or 'individual' mode, the transmission should automatically engage S and if you change out of 'dynamic' it should switch back to D. I've driven the Allroad myself, so I know it's not behaving any different. However, if you are in 'dynamic' mode and then turn the car off. Next time you turn it back on, the transmission will start in D. Even through your Drive Select is still in 'dynamic' mode, you are actually not in full 'dynamic' mode. The engine/transmission are not in 'dynamic' mode until you pull back on the shifter to reengage S. This is due to the EPA requiring the powertrains to start in the mode that yields the rated fuel economy.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-11-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sport mode does switch the engine map to dynamic anyway. I use it in busy junctions and roundabouts sections, yes are rare in the US but common here in the UK, to eliminate the lag and turn off start/stop...
Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
If you change to 'dynamic' from 'comfort', 'auto' or 'individual' mode, the transmission should automatically engage S and if you change out of 'dynamic' it should switch back to D. I've driven the Allroad myself, so I know it's not behaving any different. However, if you are in 'dynamic' mode and then turn the car off. Next time you turn it back on, the transmission will start in D. Even through your Drive Select is still in 'dynamic' mode, you are actually not in full 'dynamic' mode. The engine/transmission are not in 'dynamic' mode until you pull back on the shifter to reengage S. This is due to the EPA requiring the powertrains to start in the mode that yields the rated fuel economy.
Appreciate the explanation and I'm going to double check today, but I know(IIRC???) when I go to the MMI and choose Dynamic (this is the mode I am almost always in) and I'm driving along, the screen says "Dynamic". When I then manually push the shifter into "S" the gears are lowered and it is a noticeably quicker/tighter ride.

Quick Reply: Sport Mode JEEEZ!