Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What year Q5 should I buy from 2010 - 2013???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What year Q5 should I buy from 2010 - 2013???

Hi I'm obviously new here and also to Audi. I've done enough car research to have made the decision to buy a used Audi Q5, however I had no idea that the hard part had just begun. I thought I had finally found the right one but in coming here to hopefully confirm my decision on a 2010 Q5 with only 61K, I ended up having serious questions. Please keep in mind I know nothing about engines.

So I came across THIS THREAD in here that has given me pause. There are clearly issues with some of the 2010's and I would rather not go through the process of trying to discover whether or not each 10 I look at has these issues. That's just too tedious for me -- I would have to find a mechanic at each new one I look at...BTW I live in SoCal so you can imagine all the time this would take. Anyway, that brings me here hoping you all can point me in the direction.

I don't want to spend more than 20K so I am limited to the 4 model years in the title because there aren't many 2014's below 20K and the ones that are have lots of miles. Anyway, what year would you suggest and why? And any other tips or words of caution are much appreciated. Oh, and are there major differences between any of these years? THANKS SO MUCH!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Would be nice to state engine type (diesel or petrol) and capacity before we give an opinion.
If 2.0 TFSi (Petrol) then 2014 or later (fixed oil consumption and tensioner problem i.e. piston and chain/tensioner revisions, as well as turbo revision with an added external clip). Next best is 2013

Diesel and natural aspirated engines are less prone to high cost failures / maintenance.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-13-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oops, I'm sorry about that. The one I'm looking at is the 2010 3.2 Quattro Premium Plus. BTW, it has only 61K miles on it and the price is $15,400. In trying to learn more about it I found this place. Since reading on here that some of the '10s have serious issues, I thought I would ask the collective brain trust what to do, given my situation. If I do not want to "gamble" on a '10, it's possible for me to find an '11, '12 or '13 that is within my 20K budget. However, there are slim pickings in the '14+ range unless I'm willing to go with a very high mileage car, which I'm not.

So given that, maybe you can help guide me to the most economical engine to look for.....again, i don't know a thing about engines. BTW, it took Audi years to fix some of the problems, no? Why so long?

Anyway, I just know I really like this car but if a reliable one is not within my realm of possibilities, then so be it. I'll have to turn to a Taureg or the like. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-14-2018, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My opinion:
I would not pick Touareg. Q5 3.2 2010 is much better does not have high cost maintenance (engine is naturally aspirated) compared to 2.0 tfsi Q5. I would be happy with this Q5 2010 3.2 choice, but before purchase check how it drives and how smooth transmission is, for any engine awkward sounds, visual inspection of body underneath for any oil leaks etc. and Audi history if possible.

Not sure of fuel economy which could be a deterrent factor. Facelift from 2013 also looks nicer at the front view.

​​​​​​

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-14-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginalyn
Hi I'm obviously new here and also to Audi. I've done enough car research to have made the decision to buy a used Audi Q5, however I had no idea that the hard part had just begun. I thought I had finally found the right one but in coming here to hopefully confirm my decision on a 2010 Q5 with only 61K, I ended up having serious questions. Please keep in mind I know nothing about engines.

So I came across THIS THREAD in here that has given me pause. There are clearly issues with some of the 2010's and I would rather not go through the process of trying to discover whether or not each 10 I look at has these issues. That's just too tedious for me -- I would have to find a mechanic at each new one I look at...BTW I live in SoCal so you can imagine all the time this would take. Anyway, that brings me here hoping you all can point me in the direction.

I don't want to spend more than 20K so I am limited to the 4 model years in the title because there aren't many 2014's below 20K and the ones that are have lots of miles. Anyway, what year would you suggest and why? And any other tips or words of caution are much appreciated. Oh, and are there major differences between any of these years? THANKS SO MUCH!
I traded in a 2010 Q5 3.2 in December (bought a 2015 A5). It had 86K miles on it. The issues; carbon clean out at around 55K miles - Audi has a 120K/10 year extended warranty on this issue (no out of pocket costs); last service discovered a leaking power steering pump - $1,500 to replace, I was told to use pump sealant until it worsened. Other than that it was a terrific car, as solid when I traded it in as when I purchased new. Brakes are expensive so if you're so inclined do them yourself and save a grand.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

1.) So if I stay with a Q5, definitely go with the 3.2 over the 2.0 (because of maintenance costs), correct?

2.) Stay away from a Taureg, period. What about a Tiguan? I am only looking at this option now because I may not be able to find a '13/14 Q5 with low-mileage in my price range.

3.) What would you guys say is the ideal engine for me? I care nothing about speed/power -- the slowest of the Q5's is good enough for me. Reliability and longevity is what I prefer. Diesel keeps getting mentioned, really?

4.) Definitively, what year did they fix the carbon issue? I would like to start a new search from there.

And btw, rjammo, brake pads and rotors were recently changed on the '10 Q5. He also says he has all service records from his Audi dealership.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Contrarian in here I guess. I wouldn't do any of the ones mentioned so far given the spec original poster first set out of 2010-2013.

More specifically to me the 3.2 is sort of the ground zero among all Audi motors for fouling risk. Came up in one reply, though per that reply it sounds like Audi owned up to it some. Head design is such that it encourages it, and not easy to deal with. That is, may not be just your typical take off the manifold and scrape or walnut blast it out. Agreed with the sentiment that normally aspirated (N.A.) motors would normally be cheaper, but I don't think this one. FSI in general makes the N.A. more maintenance likely than non-FSI (port injection). There is no port injection motor choice on a Q5 anyway, since it got phased out by Audi in most motor choices somewhat earlier. You also end up with the older six speed instead of more economical 8 speed on a 3.2 IIRC, though both are reliable in general. Meantime 2.0T pre about 2013 has the variety of oil burning and internal engine question marks.

2013 gets mid life facelift so that's a plus, and then any of the motors by 2013 have some of the critiques about the earlier ones better addressed. Given original poster is showing little to no interest in motor performance wise, I would say 2.0T, 2013. Lots around. Spend the incremental $ relative to the other choices on better equipment or lower mileage. The latter is always a good way to keep early ownership unexpected costs in check.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-14-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great post, thanks for the reply! Even though most of it is greek to me, I think I get the gist of what you're saying. I should be looking at a 2013, or if possible a 14, with the 2.0T, right?

BTW, the abundance of acronyms and/or abbreviations car-makers use make things a little difficult to decipher for people that don't follow it. My god, if you don't know a thing about engines, it only clouds the picture even more, ha!

I will definitely be taking it to a mechanic prior to purchase, that was never a question.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginalyn
Great post, thanks for the reply! Even though most of it is greek to me, I think I get the gist of what you're saying. I should be looking at a 2013, or if possible a 14, with the 2.0T, right?

BTW, the abundance of acronyms and/or abbreviations car-makers use make things a little difficult to decipher for people that don't follow it. My god, if you don't know a thing about engines, it only clouds the picture even more, ha!

I will definitely be taking it to a mechanic prior to purchase, that was never a question.
Yes, 2013 or 2014 2.0T would be sensible for the spec you are describing in general. With the facelift improvements or changes, either 2013 or 2014 are very similar. BTW, if you stretch just a bit--since you mention 2014--a later 2014 under 50,000 miles will still have a bit of factory warranty left. New car warranty is lesser of 4 years or 50,000 miles, and transfers freely with vehicle. Look carefully at the in-service date for any given vehicle. It will be written in the maintenance booklet for the vehicle, which should be with it in glove box. You may find it in a CarFax or similar report, or at least a reference to first registration of the vehicle. Helpful if you buy one even with a mechanics inspection, and either he/she catches something fixable or you discover something once you start driving daily.

Also, if by chance the car was previously purchased used under Audi's CPO warranty program, those warranties are transferable for a one time fee. That could come up with either a 2013 or 2014 if it happened to have been sold previously as a used vehicle by an Audi dealer. Nuance, but look for any references in ads and then you can be better clued in on the import and possible value, including in private party sales. If you buy used from an Audi dealer, they may offer it as a "Audi CPO" that you can consider too. Somewhat more of a premium price wise when the dealer sells it as a "CPO" warranted one, but then a solid longer term warranty. I have bought my last two very late model Audi's that way. Look on audi's website about it if you are not familiar with that sort of used car approach by dealers. Many brands offer something like that for recent model used vehicles.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-14-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you get a 2014 (or a 2013 with a question mark on oil consumption) with newer piston revision made end of 2013 you will definitely have no major high cost maintenance problem to worry about in the future. Less fuel consumption than 3.2 and lighter engine. 8 speed tiptronic is a good combination (though I am a fun of the European 7-speed s-tronic when on D-mode, sport mode is noisy). Also Q5 comes in 3 packages, premium, premium plus and prestige and SQ5 comes in 2 packages premium plus and prestige. Not sure what Q5 vs SQ5 differences are. (sq5 probably has lower ground clearance an some additional standard options compared to Q5)

There is no harness preinstalled to retrofit/upgrade a missing technology option (keyless entry, ADS audi drive select etc), though it is possible to buy a kit. Better to get a Q5 which has the technologies you need.

Note Q5 facelift from 2013 came with better standard safety technologies, and automatic I believe also came with engine start stop when still or when highway cruising, unlike the prefacelift model (2009-2012).

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-14-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: What year Q5 should I buy from 2010 - 2013???