Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Torn between S5 and RS5 (and Golf R)

Old 02-18-2018, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torn between S5 and RS5 (and Golf R)

Hey there!

It's time to upgrade my ride and I've been 99 % sure I want to buy a brand new Golf R, but I can't somehow justify spending almost $60k on a VW. So, I've started looking at different brands. I don't really like BMW or MBs, so Audi was a natural choice.
Now, the thing is, I've found a decent (almost fully loaded) 2015 S5 and I've also found a (almost fully loaded) 2013 RS5 for the same price of around $60k (with RS5 being slightly less). The S5 has around 10k miles, while the RS5 has around 40k miles.
Both vehicles have a service history and have been serviced exclusively by official Audi garage.

A few points:
- I haven't yet driven any of those two cars
- I really love the V8 in RS5
- I don't really mind the MPG, I guess it would be the same-ish
- I don't have a family, so I don't need the most practical car .. I currently drive a Golf, so, RS5 should be around the same size (space-wise), right?
- How's the ride on the RS5, is it okay in comfort?

Where I live, we have straight roads and highways, but we also have a lot of curvy hill roads, so I'd like to get a bit of fun as well.
With all that being said, is there a reason I should not buy the RS5, given that it is the same price as the S5 and if there is, is the S5 more fun than the Golf R?

Thank you for your insights
Old 02-18-2018, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A Golf R cannot be compared to an Audi S5/RS5 in terms of performance and quality. I see that you're basing your choice on budget. If it were my money, I would automatically go for any of the Audi's you mentioned simply because I am getting more car (interior refinement, engineering, tech, build quality) than a VW. A Golf R is simply a Golf with a more potent engine (still a 4 cylinder) and 4motion. You are still buying a Golf at the end of the day. And, maintenance on a R, I expect, won't be cheap either.

Even if your Audi choices are used vehicles, you are getting more car for the money. I have owned a VW GTI and now, my S5. They're two different cars. The Golf R is an uber-pocket rocket, light and tossable. The S5 and RS5's are heavy grand touring (GT) cars that offer refinement and luxury as well as giving you a dose of sportiness when you want it. If you haven't test driven an Audi S5 or RS5, you need to do it so you are well informed of these differences.

It will probably cost more to maintain an Audi S5 compared to a Golf R. You'll have to do more homework by inquiring about the cost of servicing Audi's in your neighborhood. The RS5 will take even more money to maintain especially if the RS5 you are eyeing comes with Ceramic Brakes.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

They are different cars. It comes down to what you want. The RS5 is at home on the twisties. You need room to spread its wings as it comes alive in the upper rev band. It does sound like you have the opportunity to do that. The S5 on the other hand is forced induction, so it's easier to drive fast in day to day. The RS5 needs more work to drive fast, but for me that's more interesting. The Golf R is a FWD biased hothatch. Fun car, but not as lively as the S5 or the RS5. The latter two have a rear-biased quattro system, so you can rotate the car with the throttle and even get the tail to slide, especially with the sport rear differential which is optional on both depending on your country, so you may wanna check the options of this S5 and RS5.

Comfort wise, it depends. Both the S5 and RS5 have optionally adjustable suspensions. At least in the ROW. Here in the USA we only get the fixed suspension. I find the RS5 with the fixed suspension just the right balance between comfort and handling. The optional adjustable suspension for the RS5 is pretty comfortable in comfort mode, but rock hard in dynamic mode and barely drivable anywhere other than on the track. The optional adjustable suspension for the S5 is a more livable suspension in any mode. Either way, you first wanna check if they have fixed suspensions or adjustable suspensions.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-18-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
A Golf R cannot be compared to an Audi S5/RS5 in terms of performance and quality. I see that you're basing your choice on budget. If it were my money, I would automatically go for any of the Audi's you mentioned simply because I am getting more car (interior refinement, engineering, tech, build quality) than a VW. A Golf R is simply a Golf with a more potent engine (still a 4 cylinder) and 4motion. You are still buying a Golf at the end of the day. And, maintenance on a R, I expect, won't be cheap either.

Even if your Audi choices are used vehicles, you are getting more car for the money. I have owned a VW GTI and now, my S5. They're two different cars. The Golf R is an uber-pocket rocket, light and tossable. The S5 and RS5's are heavy grand touring (GT) cars that offer refinement and luxury as well as giving you a dose of sportiness when you want it. If you haven't test driven an Audi S5 or RS5, you need to do it so you are well informed of these differences.

It will probably cost more to maintain an Audi S5 compared to a Golf R. You'll have to do more homework by inquiring about the cost of servicing Audi's in your neighborhood. The RS5 will take even more money to maintain especially if the RS5 you are eyeing comes with Ceramic Brakes.
The RS5 does not have ceramic brakes. I've checked the prices for various services and it's not that bad. Of course, if I have a big failure of some component, that might cost a fortune, but other than that, it looks like it's not that expensive.
That's exactly the thing - I don't like making compromises I'd like a small, fast and nimble car, but other times I want a GT to just cruise.. however, I think the RS5 is going to win just for the engine sound.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
They are different cars. It comes down to what you want. The RS5 is at home on the twisties. You need room to spread its wings as it comes alive in the upper rev band. It does sound like you have the opportunity to do that. The S5 on the other hand is forced induction, so it's easier to drive fast in day to day. The RS5 needs more work to drive fast, but for me that's more interesting. The Golf R is a FWD biased hothatch. Fun car, but not as lively as the S5 or the RS5. The latter two have a rear-biased quattro system, so you can rotate the car with the throttle and even get the tail to slide, especially with the sport rear differential which is optional on both depending on your country, so you may wanna check the options of this S5 and RS5.

Comfort wise, it depends. Both the S5 and RS5 have optionally adjustable suspensions. At least in the ROW. Here in the USA we only get the fixed suspension. I find the RS5 with the fixed suspension just the right balance between comfort and handling. The optional adjustable suspension for the RS5 is pretty comfortable in comfort mode, but rock hard in dynamic mode and barely drivable anywhere other than on the track. The optional adjustable suspension for the S5 is a more livable suspension in any mode. Either way, you first wanna check if they have fixed suspensions or adjustable suspensions.
I'm not really sure, but it has Audi Drive Select and it has sport dampers checked, so.. driving both of them is going to be hard, because the RS5 is in Germany (I'm from Czech Republic) and the S5 is in Czech Republic, but I don't feel if it's okay to just call the seller and ask him for a test drive.
On the other hand, since both cars cost the same, I might just as well buy the RS5, because deep down I know, if I buy the S5, I'd tell myself: "Why didn't I buy the RS5"..
Also, I'm not sure how the supercharged V6 is in terms of dynamic, but I think I'd really prefer a N/A engine.

Looks like I'll have to try and see.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Anyway, are the servicing costs significantly higher as opposed to S5/A5? Can you give me a yearly average you spend on an RS5, if you don't mind? I make around $5k per month, of course don't want to spend everything on the car.. so, it's more about luck I guess.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kudlajz
I'm not really sure, but it has Audi Drive Select and it has sport dampers checked, so.. driving both of them is going to be hard, because the RS5 is in Germany (I'm from Czech Republic) and the S5 is in Czech Republic, but I don't feel if it's okay to just call the seller and ask him for a test drive.
On the other hand, since both cars cost the same, I might just as well buy the RS5, because deep down I know, if I buy the S5, I'd tell myself: "Why didn't I buy the RS5"..
Also, I'm not sure how the supercharged V6 is in terms of dynamic, but I think I'd really prefer a N/A engine.

Looks like I'll have to try and see.
The defining aspect of the RS5 is it's high-revving N/A V8 paired with an amazing track tuned dual clutch transmission. That's what drew me to the RS5. I test drove an S5, but it didn't quite do it for me, so I ordered an RS5 sight unseen and did European Delivery. Spent almost an entire month in Europe putting 4000 miles on the car. I have never regretted my decision and I have driven S models many times in between. They just don't really do it for me anymore. The Golf R compares to the S3 essentially, but the Golf R has a better chassis tuning in my opinion. I did a long road trip in an S3, while a nice car, it wasn't that exciting to drive.

Originally Posted by kudlajz
Anyway, are the servicing costs significantly higher as opposed to S5/A5? Can you give me a yearly average you spend on an RS5, if you don't mind? I make around $5k per month, of course don't want to spend everything on the car.. so, it's more about luck I guess.
The maintenance cost is higher on the RS5 being a higher strung vehicle it needs more maintenance. One probably tends to drive it harder, too, so that adds wear and tear. Tires are bigger and more expensive, same for brakes and it tends to eat tires and brakes for breakfast, so they don't last as long as on other cars. I have multiple cars, but breaking down my annual expenses for the RS5 it probably comes out to about $800-$1000 per month all in (gas, insurance, maintenance....). The RS5 is my daily driver doing about 10,000-12,000 miles per year. Will be higher for you as the gas prices are at least double in Europe. While driving around in Europe for the month I spent over $1500 on gas alone, but I spent much of my time close to the top speed on the German Autobahn and obviously drove about a third of my average annual mileage in a single month.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-18-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hmm .. you're making me nervous.. of course I won't probably drive up to 12k miles per year, I'm more of a 6k type-of-guy..I guess driving the car at top speed on Autobahn really does consume a lot of tires and fuel, right?
Decisions, decisions..
Old 02-18-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Anyway, if I opt for the 3.0 V6 S5, do I gain anything? I feel like I'm only losing .. fuel consumption will be around the same (with a heavy foot) or so I've read.. maintenance might be slightly less costly, but I don't plan to drive the car like I stole it all the time or even track it a first few months..
Old 02-18-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You might gain better average fuel economy. I haven't lived with a B8/8.5 S5, so not sure how it does on the maintenance side compared to the RS5, but my previous car was a B7 S4, V8 as well. Tires and brakes lasted a lot longer. It certainly comes down to how you drive. I drive the RS5 a lot harder, but don't take it to the track. Our climate allows driving on summer tires all year and I pretty much need new tires once a year. I'm on the 5th set now since I bought the car in 2013. The OEM brakes lasted all of 24k miles and I then went aftermarket and got about 36k miles out of the front pads. The aftermarket rear pads are doing much better. They still have about over 50% now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torn between S5 and RS5 (and Golf R)