S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Something different: Is Acura’s A-Spec TLX SH-AWD a Threat to the S4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Something different: Is Acura’s A-Spec TLX SH-AWD a Threat to the S4?

The Ugly-Generation of Acura TL’s with the “Power Plenum” (some 7+ years ago) was actually once considered as a possible if unlikely (to be cross-shopped) alternative to the Audi S4. The combination of some remarkably comparable performance (of the Acura to the Audi) and an over $11,000 price advantage made the Acura TL SH-AWD Advance (there was no A-spec) um, a “frugal alternative” to the stellar S4. The faithful, however, generally couldn’t see it despite the Acura's price advantage. But back in 2010, Automobile Magazine did present an argument that might be seen as “somewhat” persuasive – a link to the article follows.

Of course, then, as now, most folks shopping for a new high-performance sport-sedan would/will not cross-shop an Audi S4 and an Acura TLX SH-AWD (A-Spec). In fact, with the reduction of power and torque offered in the new TLX (compared to the 2010 TL) the two cars have actually sharply diverged. The S4 has upped its game, the TLX, on the other hand, inexplicably (considering its parent’s reputation), seems to have lost its way – if its “way” means it wants to be put on potential customer’s shopping lists up against its German and Japanese (and now Korean) rivals.

It appears the Acura TLX SH-AWD A-Spec only promises – via several appearance bits (and 19” wheels) – at performance, but delivers little that actually makes good on the promises.

I leased a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance (which included the 19” wheels, a sportier suspension and a naturally aspirated 305 HP V6) somewhat due to the feeling of being given permission by Automobile. Coming from a 2009 A4 2.0T Prestige equipped with Audi’s sport-package, the Acura offered an approximation – a bit more than a “hint” – of a German mid-size sports sedan. The competition, from Infiniti (the ‘G’ sedans), seemed – at the time – to be not competitive (for the same $46,500+ MSRP), and the new generation of Infiniti’s “Japanese BMW 3-series” had not yet arrived.

Although I did not keep the TL even to 30,000 miles – I traded it (for a 2014 S4) as soon as I was no longer upside-down on the lease – it was possible to respect Acura’s efforts.

We now fast-forward to today where Acura seems to have slipped from Premium to Near-premium status even as they move from the first generation TLX (replacing the terminal generation of the TL) in 2015 to the second gen 2018 vehicle.

Meanwhile, the top of the line Honda Accord – assuming you can live with FWD (only) – brings a brilliant new generation to the market; a generation that, from all appearances (and professional reviews) seems to actually be a more compelling offering than the upscale Acura. Of course, the Accord is a Honda – but it makes no pretensions to vying for Premium Class consideration. The Accord, to me, seems to be what Acura should be – if only Honda would add an AWD version to the Accord lineup and call it an Acura: Voila!

If you asked me – and you didn’t, as far as I know – Audi needs to devote few resources to compete with Acura, that ship (at this point) has sailed. On the other hand, for about $50,000+, the top spec KIA Stinger (AWD) would seem to be bringing it on. This freshman offering from KIA may just be gaining on the S4, which is remarkable and – for us Audi fans – a bit worrisome.

On the other hand: Competition improves the breed.

2018 TLX SH-AWD (A-Spec):

· 109.3” WB

· V6 290HP 267LB/FT @4,500RPM

· 9-SP AUTO

· 0-60 6.0 SECONDS

· $45,750

2018 ACCORD-FWD (Touring):

· 111.4” WB

· i4 252HP 273LB/FT @1,500RPM

· 10-SP AUTO

· 0-60 5.7 SECONDS

· $36,690

This was THEN:

2010 Acura TL SH-AWD vs 2010 Audi S4 - Sedan and Sports Coupe Comparison - Automobile Magazine

Last edited by markcincinnati; 02-18-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually did look at the TSX back before I bought my S4. The price was attractive, I liked the Integra I owned in my 20s, VTEC is cool, and at first, I thought I'd prefer the TSX's "one button per function" control scheme to the Audi MMI. I had some concerns about Acura's styling direction, but it was all academic once I sat in the TSX and tried to imagine finding the specific button I wanted while driving at night. That made me a big MMI fan before I ever used it.

I don't think many people will cross-shop the Stinger with the S4 either, but I think it's a shot across the bow for all the Japanese performance cars. I'd buy one over any sedan from Acura, Honda, Subaru, or Toyota. I think Lexus is out of Kia's reach, but then the spindle grill means the Lexii are also too ugly for any sensible person to buy.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:13 AM
ZF8
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember Acura's golden era being from 2004 to 2008 when they sold TL's and TSX's like hotcakes due to their clean styling and fun to drive cars. Then their downfall began in 2009 when they tried out their "power plenum" grills along with awkward looking exteriors.

Sadly I don't think Acura as a brand has recovered fully from their mishaps from 2009 till now and aren't serious competitors in my opinion.

Last edited by ZF8; 02-18-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Agree with ZF8.

Jalopnik ran a pretty damning article about the new TLX. It's also sure funny that the Honda is a full 0.3 seconds faster, $10,000+ cheaper, and includes all the DA features. I still think that if the new Accord could be had in AWD I'd have bought it instead of my S4.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting... I am actually currently cross-shopping the TLX and the S4. I have always had honda / acura products and tend to purchase them (not lease) and keep them for a while. I also do my own maintenance.
I currently own a TSX V6 - An adequate car (albeit FWD) with plenty of power, and very reliable: no repairs for 140,000 km so far (other than normal maintenance: oil, filter, brakes, etc).
I drove the TLX V6 AWD, and the S4 (also a 2014 S8 owned by a co-worker, but that is a completely different story).
Frankly, you cannot compare the thrill of driving the S4 as opposed to the TLX. The TLX is an adequate, general purpose upscale sedan - its AWD is great (had torque vectoring, which I think is similar to the S4's optional Sports Differential). The 9 speed tranny is slow and jerky.
From my point of view, the only thing that is making me hesitate to pull the trigger on the S4 is its long-term reliability and maintainability. But make no mistake, the S4's driving thrill is way ahead of the TLX.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by numerobis
Interesting... I am actually currently cross-shopping the TLX and the S4. I have always had honda / acura products and tend to purchase them (not lease) and keep them for a while. I also do my own maintenance.
I currently own a TSX V6 - An adequate car (albeit FWD) with plenty of power, and very reliable: no repairs for 140,000 km so far (other than normal maintenance: oil, filter, brakes, etc).
I drove the TLX V6 AWD, and the S4 (also a 2014 S8 owned by a co-worker, but that is a completely different story).
Frankly, you cannot compare the thrill of driving the S4 as opposed to the TLX. The TLX is an adequate, general purpose upscale sedan - its AWD is great (had torque vectoring, which I think is similar to the S4's optional Sports Differential). The 9 speed tranny is slow and jerky.
From my point of view, the only thing that is making me hesitate to pull the trigger on the S4 is its long-term reliability and maintainability. But make no mistake, the S4's driving thrill is way ahead of the TLX.
I had the same reservations as you do now about pulling the trigger on the 2018 S4--long-term reliability and maintainability. However, I noticed that in recent surveys Audi has addressed many of those concerns, and I'm guessing Audi got tired of hearing about reliability issues. Audi spent a ton of time remaking the S4, and it shows. Also, I think reliability was part of the remake equation. I ordered my car back in May 2017 and after tracking it coming across the Atlantic, I picked it up in August 2017. I've owned it for 6 months now, and (knock on wood) not a single issue other than a flat tire due to a nail. I did purchase AudiCare--and I'm planning to keep the car to over 200,000 miles. We shall see!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We kept our SQ5 (same engine, etc.) to about 95,000 miles -- not km. Very very few problems -- very very reliable. I don't know if 95K proves anything regarding durability, but the car had no issues, we just wanted the 2018 SQ5. I only kept my 2014 S4 for about 53,000 miles (on a lease). But, I bought my 2018 S4 (my first purchased car in 40 years), I am so confident in the reliability and durability of Audi. FWIW, Acura -- according to Consumer Reports -- has dropped in "overall sat" from the top ten to the bottom of the list (which is either 25 or 50).
Old 02-18-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
We kept our SQ5 (same engine, etc.) to about 95,000 miles -- not km. Very very few problems -- very very reliable. I don't know if 95K proves anything regarding durability, but the car had no issues, we just wanted the 2018 SQ5. I only kept my 2014 S4 for about 53,000 miles (on a lease). But, I bought my 2018 S4 (my first purchased car in 40 years), I am so confident in the reliability and durability of Audi. FWIW, Acura -- according to Consumer Reports -- has dropped in "overall sat" from the top ten to the bottom of the list (which is either 25 or 50).
With proper maintenance, I'm betting that my S4 will go well into the 200k mileage range with no major issues. We shall see--but I'm confident that if I take care of S4, S4 will take care of me.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Fascinating that the brand has fallen so far! Any insight? I generally find Acuras to be ugly and in general just more expensive versions of their more sensible Honda counterparts. I would 10x over buy a new Accord over an Acura sedan at this point. Luxury marques in general are going to need to be increasingly creative to justify the cost differences between themselves and the high-end mass market competition. The new Accord is a great example of this, IMO.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the information - Yes, all post-2008 Acuras are ugly, and some are really ugly. Not sure why Honda / Acura's quality has fallen according to the surveys, but that always depends on what they actually measure.
When I was in the market in 2010, I ended up getting the least ugly of the Acura (in my view) - the TSX. It's basically a decontented Euro accord with an Acura logo slapped on it (but with the V6). I had cross shopped multiple cars and settled on it (right size / equipment / price / power).
I will continue shopping through the spring... Any comments on the S3 vs/ the S4? I find the S3 a tad too small, and no V6 engine.

Quick Reply: Something different: Is Acura’s A-Spec TLX SH-AWD a Threat to the S4?