A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Alternator fault battery not being charged!!!

Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator fault battery not being charged!!!

Hi guys. Need Help!
I got Audi A4 with 59 number plate. On 15 Dec I changed the car battery and exactly after 2 weeks I got error “Alternator fault battery not being charged “ . I went to halford and they changed the alternator and recommended me to change the battery also but i didn’t as the battery was new. But after 2 weeks I got the same error on dashboard, this time Halford changed the Battery as well as alternator bcz according to them bcz of battery alternator got damaged. However just after 1 week I got the same error and I been at halford and they said they can’t find the error bcz everything is working fine. One time all lights start blinking and turned off bcz battery not being charged and in 1 minute everything come back and start working. Don’t know what is the problem? Very confused, even Halford can’t find where is the problem. Still got the error which is appearing after every 1 week. Anyone who know plz help!! 😞
The following users liked this post:
chargingoption (09-04-2023)
Old 02-19-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you code the new battery in after you replaced it?
Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dr Awesome
Did you code the new battery in after you replaced it?
the mechanic told me that there don’t need to be coded for this model
Old 02-21-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

With the engine running at idle what is the voltage at the battery. It should be between 13.5 to 14.5 volts.
chargingoption (09-04-2023)
Old 02-21-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hassan Rajput

the mechanic told me that there don’t need to be coded for this model
Your mechanic is wrong. It's not "required" normally, but your battery won't last as long and, if I were someone in charge of making vehicles run well and you are having issues with your battery charging, it seems like an easy thing to check off. I would find a new mechanic, your's doesn't have your vehicle's best interests in mind.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default How i fixed mine

The pulley that connects the alternator to the serpentine belt was loose and caused the bearing on the alternator pulley to almost fall off. I bought a completly new alternator and made sure the pulley was good and my light went away
Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Was this after your mechanic that did not want to code the new battery and replaced that alternator twice?
Old 10-11-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The belt was changed too because the unbalance was starting to make it rip but the battery was never changed. The pulley was halfway off and would rock but i think that the bearing spinning in a weird movement caused it to get melted on b4 slipping off but it was close to coming off.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the exact same issue. I’ve had a new Bosch Alternator installed, new starter, new battery. Then I pick up from the auto shop. Drive home. Few hours later same issue comes up. “Alternator not charging battery” followed by other error lights. Did they managed to find a solution for you? This issue is very annoying

Originally Posted by Hassan Rajput
Hi guys. Need Help!
I got Audi A4 with 59 number plate. On 15 Dec I changed the car battery and exactly after 2 weeks I got error “Alternator fault battery not being charged “ . I went to halford and they changed the alternator and recommended me to change the battery also but i didn’t as the battery was new. But after 2 weeks I got the same error on dashboard, this time Halford changed the Battery as well as alternator bcz according to them bcz of battery alternator got damaged. However just after 1 week I got the same error and I been at halford and they said they can’t find the error bcz everything is working fine. One time all lights start blinking and turned off bcz battery not being charged and in 1 minute everything come back and start working. Don’t know what is the problem? Very confused, even Halford can’t find where is the problem. Still got the error which is appearing after every 1 week. Anyone who know plz help!! 😞
Old 02-04-2021, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Did you ever find out the issue? This is happening to me as well, I've already replaced the alternator.
Ebypatel (01-16-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator fault battery not being charged!!!