Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire

Does anyone know why the Q7 doesn't come with a spare tire?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith18Q7
Depending on which tires you have you will most likely have run flats, most vehicles that have run flats do not have a spare tire. Also in the rear cargo area under the carpet you'll find a can of fix a flat and a compressor.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Q7 is not alone. I have read that around 1/3 of cars sold today do not have spares.

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/artic...ing-spare-tire

Run flats offer some piece of mind, but they are generally only good for 50 miles after air loss (and then are supposed to be trashed, not patched). This is my first vehicle without a spare too. I have the 21" rims. So, no run flats either - just the fix-it kit. Certainly hope to never have to use it!
Old 02-19-2018, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TNVol
T

Run flats offer some piece of mind, but they are generally only good for 50 miles after air loss (and then are supposed to be trashed, not patched). This is my first vehicle without a spare too. I have the 21" rims. So, no run flats either - just the fix-it kit. Certainly hope to never have to use it!
Dealer would definitely try to sell you a new tire even when it's pluggable or patchable.
I've been driving on runflats on various vehicles for more than 7 years, thankfully never had a complete blowout or side puncture, also runflats these days are not as reliable because they are trying to make them softer. I would not want to drive even a few miles on deflated run flats. I had a huge bolt puncture on my tire yesterday, I drove about 1 mile to local tire shop with completely deflated (overnight) tire and it was a floppy noisy mess. I hope I never have to drive longer distances.

I would need to check how to use the fix a flat set we supposed to have on our q7s.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith18Q7
Also, check out the instructions in the owners manual in the section called "Tire Mobility Kit" which explains the use of the tire pump, as well as the goop bottle that you use to plug the hole in the tire.
Audi (like other car makers) found that the spare tire is actually never used, and carrying around that weight reduces gas mileage. I have personally not used the spare in my previous 3 cars. At least the Audi is prepared for refilling a flat.
If you look in the back end of the Q7, there simply is no room left for the flat after putting the Bose radio and subwoofer into the back. All that is left is room for a few tie-downs.
Tire Mobility Kit info for emergencies
Old 02-19-2018, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNVol
The Q7 is not alone. I have read that around 1/3 of cars sold today do not have spares.

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/artic...ing-spare-tire

Yup. The Q7 is now the third car in our garage without a spare because of RFs. One of our cars doesn't even come with RFs. Pothole season sucks for that car.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 AM
Banned

This will be my second vehicle with run flats, still would rather have a spare . . . . .
Old 02-20-2018, 04:18 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't like runflats simply because they affect the ride quality, so I would much prefer a traditional spare.

However, since my wife drives the Q7 95% of the time it's reassuring to know that she can safety drive to a safe location, or even home if she gets a flat.. Instead of waiting for roadside asst to arrive..
Old 02-20-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find it odd but whatever. I've never had to use a spare in my entire life of driving. Interestingly, I put in a spare in my RS7 after discovered that I could take the spare unit and tool kit from the A6/A7.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/rs-...stall-2881764/
Old 02-20-2018, 04:41 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

^^ Sorry didn't read the link you provided yet, but does the A6/A7 spare clear the rotors (especially the front) of the RS7?

Quick Reply: Spare tire