Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Engine compartment noise after shut off

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine compartment noise after shut off

I hear a fan or pump after I shut it off, even if the engine had not been running. Anyone know what this is? I'm sure it's normal. I'm just curious what it is.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RamblingMan
I hear a fan or pump after I shut it off, even if the engine had not been running. Anyone know what this is? I'm sure it's normal. I'm just curious what it is.
I believe it’s the fan to cool the turbo.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dudley@07726

I believe it’s the fan to cool the turbo.
I have a Premium Plus like you. The 3.0 in it is supercharged. The 2.0 engine is turbocharged.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just noticed this recently after the diesel fix on my A6. It's the radiator fans running and I assume it's to cool down the turbo. But it never did this before the TDi fix.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Few clicks as well after you turn the engine off from the engine bay.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Just noticed this recently after the diesel fix on my A6. It's the radiator fans running and I assume it's to cool down the turbo. But it never did this before the TDi fix.
On the TDi more likley, you have switched the car of mid-regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter. If this happen the cooling fan continues to run to help dispate thehigher temeratures associated with the regeneration process. You'll probably notice an unpleasent burning smell towards the rear of the car as well
Old 02-20-2018, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Premium Plus like you. The 3.0 in it is supercharged. The 2.0 engine is turbocharged.
I know. For the life of me, I don’t know why I typed turbo. I guess I was thinking about the MB E400 I recently purchased.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
On the TDi more likley, you have switched the car of mid-regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter. If this happen the cooling fan continues to run to help dispate thehigher temeratures associated with the regeneration process. You'll probably notice an unpleasent burning smell towards the rear of the car as well
I initially suspected that but have no unpleasant smells so??? But I also suspect you are right since this has happened twice in the last week. Used to occur once a month or so before the fix.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

What year and engine do you have? Some of he newer engines have the exhaust manifold built into the head. This provides quicker warm up of the passenger compartment ( the head and block have different circuits). It also reduces the need to enrich the combustion mixture when increasing load resulting in better gas mileage. However, the coolant in the head can boil after shutdown so an electric water pump circulates the coolant to prevent this. Of course the electric fan can/will run as well.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know what it is but my 2012 A7 3.0L gas engine does it too. Sounds like a relay closing and some whirring. It doesn't last long and the engine still starts so I'm good with it.

Quick Reply: Engine compartment noise after shut off