A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Trim-less recall still no fix!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim-less recall still no fix!

I purchased the 2017 Audi A4 premium plus about two weeks ago.. Heard about the recall, but didn’t know that that meant they would remove trim from the speakers frames and leave a bear resemblance of the same in its place! Complete with glue and other residue left behind! Also, its my understanding that this specific recall been out since November 2017! It seems to me to be plenty of time for Audi to have made accommodations for this. This is my first time ever owning an Audi. I’m very concerned about at how he may just let this ride and not provided fix! It’s been almost 5 months! How long does it take to provide a trim replacement?? I’ve been talking to Audi corporate office for last week and a half... Bottom line is Audi Corporate (North America) does not have any no news or updates about with this fix will be available and ship to dealers,

Has anyone out there heard anything different? Can’t believe a car company would serious left a maned and scarred car, without a plan or schedule to make to it whole! All this time no replacement parts! It seems really strange!!

What are your thoughts? Is there anyone out there actually getting this problem addressed?
Old 02-20-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be taking my 2018 A4 in for its 10,000 oil change and check up. If the dealer does not have the speaker trim replacement available I will specifically demand that they do not remove the trim piece until they have the replacements. I agree with you this is not good customer service especially for a quality automobile.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask and they won't remove it -- make sure that's written on the W/O.

Last I heard the repair was coming at the end or February.

Since the original complaints were from Florida residents -- where headliners fall and glue melts -- I may not have it done at all until I see the fix. Hopefully someone will post results on here.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Versprechen
Ask and they won't remove it -- make sure that's written on the W/O.

Last I heard the repair was coming at the end or February.

Since the original complaints were from Florida residents -- where headliners fall and glue melts -- I may not have it done at all until I see the fix. Hopefully someone will post results on here.
It's definitely related to heat. My car sits outside and the passenger side that faces the sun most of the day has the trim starting to peel off. The drivers side trim is still solidly attached. I called my Audi dealer (Audi Coral Springs) last week to see if the trim was in stock. They said they would call back in half an hour. That was five days ago. Typical!

Last edited by up-n-coming; 02-20-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I called my Audi Dealership a week ago and they have the replacement trim in stock and will be installing it on Friday.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Csilvest
I called my Audi Dealership a week ago and they have the replacement trim in stock and will be installing it on Friday.
So where are you located? US, Canada, Europe, Asia.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
So where are you located? US, Canada, Europe, Asia.
Im in British Columbia, Canada
Old 02-21-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Took a trip this morning to my audi dealer to find out when the trim strips would be available for install. Their best guess is that they won't have them in stock for over a month.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well that was a total failure, got there and they were mistaken and they have no ETA available on when the new trim will be in stock. I was sceptical that they would actually have it all along, so back to the waiting game...
Old 02-24-2018, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, you just have to read this. This might be the consumer complaint that sparked the recall. It's a harrowing read -- so harrowing I wonder if daddy is a lawyer. From the NHTSA website:

NHTSA ID Number: 11033873

Incident Date July 30, 2017

Consumer Location MIAMI, FL

Vehicle Identification Number WAUENAF4XHN****

Summary of Complaint:
AFTER PARKING MY CAR, MY DAUGHTER, THE PASSENGER IN THE RIGHT BACK SEAT, OPENED THE DOOR TO GET OUT OF THE CAR. SHE SUDDENLY FELT ACUTE PAIN ON THE TOP OF HER FOOT AND SAW BLOOD GUSHING OUT OF IT. I WENT TO HER SIDE OF THE CAR AND SAW AN AVULSION OF THE SKIN ON THE TOP RIGHT OF THE FOOT, AND BLOOD ALL OVER THE FLOOR OF THE CAR AND THE DOOR. A SHARP PIECE OF METAL TRIM LABELED "BANG & OLUFSON" (SEE PHOTO) HAD SEMI-DETACHED FROM THE DOOR PANEL AND LACERATED HER FOOT, PIERCING THROUGH HER FOOT AND COMING OUT BETWEEN HER TOES.

THIS METAL TRIM PIECE LOOKED LIKE A SHARP KNIFE BLADE, AND HAD COME OUT OF ITS GLUED SPOT ON THE DOOR, STICKING OUT AT A 25-30 DEGREE ANGLE. I PUT PRESSURE ON THE WOUND AND REMOVED THE PIECE FROM THE CAR TO PREVENT FURTHER INJURY, CUTTING MYSELF IN THE PROCESS. IT WAS COVERED WITH BLOOD.

I IMMEDIATELY DROVE HER TO THE ER AT MERCY HOSPITAL. DR. MILLER, A PLASTIC SURGEON, SPENT 2 ½ HOURS CLEANING THE WOUND, PULLING THE FLAYED SKIN BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL POSITION, AND STITCHING TENDONS AND BLOOD VESSELS THAT WERE AFFECTED IN THE INJURY. HE PLACED CONTINUOUS ABSORBABLE SUTURES THE LENGTH OF THE WOUND. (SEE PHOTO)

SHE WAS DISCHARGED WITH ORDERS NOT TO WALK OR PUT ANY WEIGHT ON THE FOOT, EXCEPT TO GO TO THE BATHROOM, FOR AT LEAST 3 WEEKS. THE DOCTOR TOLD HER SHE MAY LOSE THE SKIN ON THE FOOT AND MAY HAVE TO RECEIVE SKIN GRAFTS TO REPAIR THE WOUND.

MY DAUGHTER WAS IN EXCRUCIATING PAIN AND IT IS STILL UNKNOWN WHETHER SHE WILL HAVE PERMANENT SCARRING OR PAIN, OR IF SHE WILL REGAIN FULL FUNCTIONING OF THE FOOT. SHE HAS UNDERGONE A COURSE OF ANTIBIOTICS AND REMAINED ON BED REST FOR 30 DAYS SINCE THE INCIDENT.

THE SHARP METAL BLADE WAS ONLY GLUED ON THE DOOR SURFACE, WITH NO SCREWS TO ATTACH IT TO THE DOOR. THIS IS WHAT APPEARED TO CAUSE THIS BLADE TO DETACH FROM THE DOOR AND STAB INTO MY DAUGHTER’S FOOT.

Quick Reply: Trim-less recall still no fix!