S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 b8 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 b8 2011

Hey so I've been looking at purchasing an s4 (I currently have an A4) but I was curious just how common the mechatronic problems really are for the b8 model. More specifically the 2011 model.. I really don't want to spend most my money on a model that would have a high chance of something really costly braking. I see alot of threads about the mechatronics but obviously you wouldn't see any threads of how flawless their s4s have been so I want to put the general question out of what you guys think the chances are of something big breaking. Low/med/high

also at what more recent model/year does the mechatronic fault seem to have been fixed? Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deathstroke
Hey so I've been looking at purchasing an s4 (I currently have an A4) but I was curious just how common the mechatronic problems really are for the b8 model. More specifically the 2011 model.. I really don't want to spend most my money on a model that would have a high chance of something really costly braking. I see alot of threads about the mechatronics but obviously you wouldn't see any threads of how flawless their s4s have been so I want to put the general question out of what you guys think the chances are of something big breaking. Low/med/high

also at what more recent model/year does the mechatronic fault seem to have been fixed? Thanks in advance
I traded in my 2011 earlier than I would have liked, just because it was occasionally starting to shift funky at 72k. Other than that, the car was bulletproof for 50k that I owned it, Early generations are more prone to problem, but none are totally immune. Still overall, I put the chances of something major breaking, on a well maintained model with reasonable mileage at "Low". Once you get above 75k, obviously anything can happen.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Have you considered one with a manual trans. Much harder to find .But you could need to replace the clutch assembly at some point in time. BTW, these cars have been really reliable ,even with high mileage. Much better than anyone ever expected. As with any German car with higher mileage, components will fail and can be expensive to repair. I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my 3rd B8 S4(2011) with 49K miles . After 3 yrs and 25k miles I had no claims. I feel like I pissed $2700 away. Now with 80k miles and no warranty, car running like a top. I have had to replace the battery ,tires, brakes and rotors which I consider normal wear and tear items. I also had to replace the thermostat. ALL t stats will fail .Most between 70k and 80k miles. While the supercharger was off, I also had them replace the water pump,PCV valve ,coolant tube, change the oil in the SC and replace the serpentine belts. Cost me $1500, But I feel like I will not have to need to take off the SC again or address these issues in the future
so there's a manual transmission in my area that I'm also interested in. It's done 21k miles also 2011 model. If I was to go for that, it would eliminate the mechatronic problem but what other problems could I expect. I know the thermostat problem is common in these models. Heard the thermostat is under the supercharger which is the only costly thing about that (But not too bad). Thanks for your input about manual, makes my decision easier.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so there's a manual transmission in my area that I'm also interested in. It's done 21k miles also 2011 model. If I was to go for that, it would eliminate the mechatronic problem but what other problems could I expect. I know the thermostat problem is common in these models. Heard the thermostat is under the supercharger which is the only costly thing about that (But not too bad). Thanks for your input about manual, makes my decision easier.
Hijacking the answer from DrGP, but if i had found a b8 manual with only 21k I would have jumped on it immediately. that's incredibly low milage. the only other "problem" that is really common is the clutch pedal start cancel, where the slave cylinder rod is just a tiny bit too short and you have to really put the clutch pedal to the floor to get it to start. There's a well documented fix on this forum about a fella who makes replacements in his garage and sells them for a reasonable price, and the fix is easy enough to do in an afternoon. The s4 i just bought with 85k miles has the issue but its not that noticeable, the point where it senses it is just a bit lower than normal, and still higher than my 5-speed truck, but Its something I know ill probably have to address in the future.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Snowmonkey
Hijacking the answer from DrGP, but if i had found a b8 manual with only 21k I would have jumped on it immediately. that's incredibly low milage. the only other "problem" that is really common is the clutch pedal start cancel, where the slave cylinder rod is just a tiny bit too short and you have to really put the clutch pedal to the floor to get it to start. There's a well documented fix on this forum about a fella who makes replacements in his garage and sells them for a reasonable price, and the fix is easy enough to do in an afternoon. The s4 i just bought with 85k miles has the issue but its not that noticeable, the point where it senses it is just a bit lower than normal, and still higher than my 5-speed truck, but Its something I know ill probably have to address in the future.
it's selling for 30k usd. You think I should get on it now?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

it's selling for 30k usd. You think I should get on it now?
dealer or private? i payed 24k at a dealer for a 2013 with 85k. If it has all the options you want and the dealer is willing to throw in some AudiCare for the next few services, Id say its a pretty good deal. 25k was the limit of my budget but i would have like to get a lower milage model
Old 02-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

dealer or private? i payed 24k at a dealer for a 2013 with 85k. If it has all the options you want and the dealer is willing to throw in some AudiCare for the next few services, Id say its a pretty good deal. 25k was the limit of my budget but i would have like to get a lower milage model
it's from a dealer. I think the main reason the price is that is not because the low mileage (although I'm sure that helps) but the fact that it's manual transmission
Old 02-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

it's from a dealer. I think the main reason the price is that is not because the low mileage (although I'm sure that helps) but the fact that it's manual transmission
Mine was a manual, I didnt think it was that much of a value adder. Definitely ask for a drive, see what you feel better driving. Do either of the ones you're looking at have the Sports Diff? If you plan to do any spirited driving its generally agreed that its a must-have.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine was a manual, I didnt think it was that much of a value adder. Definitely ask for a drive, see what you feel better driving. Do either of the ones you're looking at have the Sports Diff? If you plan to do any spirited driving its generally agreed that its a must-have.
yeah i always make sure the ones I've been looking at have sports diff. I've also heard that some models can have the sports diff leak or people having to replace it. Would you have any idea or knowledge on that.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah i always make sure the ones I've been looking at have sports diff. I've also heard that some models can have the sports diff leak or people having to replace it. Would you have any idea or knowledge on that.
unfortunately no, although i did see one thread where someone was looking for replacements and salvaged diffs were less than a grand on ebay, as opposed to something ridiculous like 15k new

Quick Reply: S4 b8 2011