Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Car Seat Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q5 Car Seat Experience

Has anyone had experience with multiple car seats in the new Q5 or SQ5?

Specifically,

i) are there anchors to attach a car seat to the middle seat?
ii) is there enough room to fit a small adult in the middle seat with two forward facing car seats, one behind the driver seat and one behind the passenger seat?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Q5/SQ5 is too small for the configuration you are trying to do. The “small” adult will have to be very small and the bump in the middle of the floor will not be helpful. You need to step up to a Q7 or the VW Atlas for room.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are anchors for each of the three seats in the second row of the Q5 and easy to access. Two child seats plus an adult is likely to be a tight squeeze. The larger SUVs give more length, another small row of seats, but marginally more width. I suppose a minivan may be a better option if you need to crowd the 2 nd row
Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Badger56
There are anchors for each of the three seats in the second row of the Q5 and easy to access.
Mine only has anchors on the outside seats, not the middle. IIHS confirms this. Please check your facts before posting.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kakgungor

Mine only has anchors on the outside seats, not the middle. IIHS confirms this. Please check your facts before posting.
jeez - the guy just tried to be helpful & answer someone’s question.
To be completely accurate - the 2018 Q5 has lower attach points only on the outside seats but has upper attach points on the backs of all three second row seats. “At least mine does
Old 02-22-2018, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kakgungor

Thank you for the kind comment. Let me clarify. Each of the three seating positions has an anchor behind the seat back. As Kakgungor so graciously commented, only the outside seats have the anchors by the seat belts. However one can place a child seat in the middle seat position, using the an anchor from each of the neighboring seats.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

However one can place a child seat in the middle seat position, using the an anchor from each of the neighboring seats.
Have you actually tried this? I have never installed a child seat but I believe they typically require the anchors to be a set distance apart and I don't think the spacing between the outside seat anchors would necessarily work to place a child seat in the middle.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This should not be done unless the car manufacturer and the car seat manufacturer says its ok.

Is it really the same distance between the inner anchors of each outside pair as the outside pairs?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kjdsider
This should not be done unless the car manufacturer and the car seat manufacturer says its ok.

Is it really the same distance between the inner anchors of each outside pair as the outside pairs?
Dont believe me, I only have four grandchildren. Go try it for yourself
Old 02-22-2018, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dont believe me, I only have four grandchildren. Go try it for yourself
You might be right, but I won't believe you because you have four grandchildren. I don't have my SQ5 with me so I can't tell you the distance between the two sets of bottom LATCH anchors, but here's some info I got from the web regarding center latching without a specific set of center latches. I personally don't even bother to use latch anymore in this situation even if the anchors magically match 11 inches.

https://thecarseatlady.wordpress.com...ingcenterlatc/

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 Car Seat Experience