Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Trunk Opening Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Opening Randomly

Anyone have issues with their trunk?

I've had the Q7 about two weeks and had the trunk open multiple times (at least half a dozen) without me pressing the key fob. Until last night I did have the key-fob in my pocket and assumed maybe I pressed on the button somehow. Last night the trunk opened overnight and hit the garage door .
Both key-fobs were in places where there was no pressure or chance that something was hitting on the button.
Now I have a ding on the edge of the door and plan on calling the dealership today. With this type of intermittent issue I'm worried that it will spend endless amounts of time going back and forth with no resolution.

I'm also having an issue opening and closing with the key fob. Pressing and holding works inconsistently, especially closing. Opening works most of the time, but closing does not work most of the time. When I try to close the lights will blink but nothing happens.

I did read the other threads related to both these things in the forum, but both seemed to be user error that was likely resolved by behavior / correct operating procedure.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

2 things to look at, from my tail light experience with mine at dealer:

1) There is a sensor in the tailgate latch on bottom, and according to my dealer, if debris (pine needles etc.) gets in there it will cause problems with the tailgate, they had a TSB on it.

2) There are 2 rubber bump stops on each side of the tailgate, that your can screw in or out that adjust how far down the tailgate goes, if they are too far out, maybe it is not latching completely. My dealer also said that was my problem (it wasn't).

In my case, they tried to blame all these easy things, when it was actually a faulty control module, took 3 trips for them to figure it out, so be prepared...
Old 02-23-2018, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

My biggest fear is this trunk opening and hitting the garage door, so i never ever keep the key in my pocket when at home. If you are sure that you couldn't have caused this issue, you should pursue this with Audi, although I 'm not sure how you convince them unless you can replicate
Old 02-23-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always park my car far enough in the garage so that if the trunk does open for any reason it will not hit the door. So may people reported that it would open when they didn't expect it to that I decided to park further in.

If you can't pull further in you may want to pad your garage door where it would hit so you don't damage the paint on the trunk.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mesquite77 thanks for the tip.

My garage is tight so parking farther in is not an option. Had to limit the height as well.

I'll have to look into some protective measures on the garage door.

Annoyingly my Q7 came with door paint protection which covers the edge of all 4 doors and the flat painted area on top of the bumper, but not the edge of the hatch. It would have prevented the nick I got overnight.
Thinking I'll put some of this on myself for added protection.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
I always park my car far enough in the garage so that if the trunk does open for any reason it will not hit the door. So may people reported that it would open when they didn't expect it to that I decided to park further in.

If you can't pull further in you may want to pad your garage door where it would hit so you don't damage the paint on the trunk.
Good points. I can pull in further but then that limits the space in front of the car and garage door to the house, and the kids are notorious for bumping the car and grazing it with their gym bags and tennis rackets, LOL

I will certainly add some padding to the area where the rear lid may meet the garage door. I already have the garage side wall already protected from the Qs doors
Old 02-23-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceframe

I agree, great ideas! My garage too does not offer much space between the rear and garage door. Will pad it to prevent accidental openings.

To the OP's question, I have never encountered such a scenario, but the thought is always in my head when the key fob is with me.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only had mine open once. I was in the garage and not near the vehicle and the truck opened. Fob was faced in towards my leg, I think the cat in the garage opened it with the sensor under rear of the Q7.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl
I have only had mine open once. I was in the garage and not near the vehicle and the truck opened. Fob was faced in towards my leg, I think the cat in the garage opened it with the sensor under rear of the Q7.
The cat cannot do that unless it was carrying the fob on its collar, and even then it would need to master the Audi ju jit su motion
Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like the rear gate control module problem as others said. I had this issue with my 2012 VW Touareg when it was brand new - during first weeks of vehicle ownership. It took about 2 or 3 weeks for the part being delivered. Never had any problems after replacement. My guess is that the same part is used for both - Q7 and Touareg as they are "relatives" so to speak...

Quick Reply: Trunk Opening Randomly