Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

SOS Emergency Call Malfuntion

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOS Emergency Call Malfuntion

My 3 week old 2018 Q7 3.0T with 600 miles developed the Emergency call Malfuntion error. It repeatedly (about every 2-3 mins or so) beeps LOUDLY and then most of my digital dashboard is filled up with a graphic showing this error.

I did search, and it seems like many are getting this fixed. My dealer sent me the email below:

I would like to reach out to you and reaffirm what Mike has shared with you. Your Audi has a concern that Audi is currently working on a fix for. This is referred to as a Service Solution Pending situation, and when this sort of thing happens we at the dealer level are at the mercy of whenever the remedy is available. Having said this, we can put your name on a list that is monitored by Audi and when the remedy is available Audi will contact you personally. Beyond this we can not move any further with a repair. The message in the display although annoying is not a hazard or unsafe and we unfortunately need to release your vehicle back to you and have our loaner vehicle returned. I will be traveling today but will respond to any concerns you should you simply respond to my email. Feel free to reach out to Mike for quicker responses as I have also cc’d him.

HELP!! Does this mean Audi is looking for a cheaper way to fix this? This defies logic that they can't fix it at all.

I also called the Sales Manager asking for his help, and also called Audi directly.

Any other advice out there?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Finally they figured it out, and now say they can fix it.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbethesda
Finally they figured it out, and now say they can fix it.
Curious, for future reference if needed, how will they fix it?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbethesda
My 3 week old 2018 Q7 3.0T with 600 miles developed the Emergency call Malfuntion error. It repeatedly (about every 2-3 mins or so) beeps LOUDLY and then most of my digital dashboard is filled up with a graphic showing this error.

I did search, and it seems like many are getting this fixed. My dealer sent me the email below:

I would like to reach out to you and reaffirm what Mike has shared with you. Your Audi has a concern that Audi is currently working on a fix for. This is referred to as a Service Solution Pending situation, and when this sort of thing happens we at the dealer level are at the mercy of whenever the remedy is available. Having said this, we can put your name on a list that is monitored by Audi and when the remedy is available Audi will contact you personally. Beyond this we can not move any further with a repair. The message in the display although annoying is not a hazard or unsafe and we unfortunately need to release your vehicle back to you and have our loaner vehicle returned. I will be traveling today but will respond to any concerns you should you simply respond to my email. Feel free to reach out to Mike for quicker responses as I have also cc’d him.

HELP!! Does this mean Audi is looking for a cheaper way to fix this? This defies logic that they can't fix it at all.

I also called the Sales Manager asking for his help, and also called Audi directly.

Any other advice out there?

Thanks in advance.
That's BS. I got the same issue as yours in my first week. Go back to dealer and they fixed it for about 3 hrs. It's just a bad wire design to cause SOS malfunction. Shame on Audi.
That is fxxking noisy issue. If they can't fix it, find another dealer and file a complaint to Audi about this dealer.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad they have a fix. How soon can they repair it?
Old 03-23-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This same issue is happening to in my '18 Q7. I've only had it for 2,000 miles and it the error message is incredibly annoying. I'm new to Audi and not particularly impressed with lack of knowledge by local dealer.

Does anyone have a detailed description of the wiring issue that I could send to dealer for the fix?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default At the dealer for the third time...

My new 2018 Q7 is at the dealer for the third time to fix the SOS Call Malfunction issue. The first time, it was shortly after delivery and they just updated some software. Issue was back days later. Second time, they replaced the "gms antenna". Issue went away for a couple of months. Now it is back and worse than ever. Beeps several times each trip. Sometimes several times in a minute. The beeping is loud and jarring. So disappointed. It's bad enough that it's taken so much of my time having paid so much for a new car. But to have this thing just beep at you so loudly multiple times in a trip is just crappy design. Just do it once and shut the heck up. It really should not beep so loudly in any case. This is not a immediate danger. It feels like the pre-sense has activated and you're about to crash. Frustrated. Argh.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I finally got this solved after working with Audi dealer here in Seattle. Problem is a faulty wiring connection (too short) with the GPS/telecommunication module that comes loose. They also said it was a known Technical Service Bulletin. Depending on what build your '18 Q7 is, they need to either relocate the module or just add a longer connecting wire (layman terms here). They extended the wire in my Q7 and haven't had an issue since.

I'd recommend you call Audi Seattle and ask for Christian the service manager and he'll know what to tell your service guys. 888-822-5612. Happy to discuss via PM if you like! Good luck!
Old 05-22-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stukie
I finally got this solved after working with Audi dealer here in Seattle. Problem is a faulty wiring connection (too short) with the GPS/telecommunication module that comes loose. They also said it was a known Technical Service Bulletin. Depending on what build your '18 Q7 is, they need to either relocate the module or just add a longer connecting wire (layman terms here). They extended the wire in my Q7 and haven't had an issue since.

I'd recommend you call Audi Seattle and ask for Christian the service manager and he'll know what to tell your service guys. 888-822-5612. Happy to discuss via PM if you like! Good luck!
Is this TSB only impacting the 2018s?
Old 08-21-2018, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We had the same problem with our new Q7. We had to get it fixed at our dealership. They had to order a new part. The car was with them for about 4 days. They gave us a new Q5 to drive meanwhile. Has been fixed beautifully. No problem now.

Quick Reply: SOS Emergency Call Malfuntion