Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 Oil Change

Is there a How To Do an oil change on an S5?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, the oil change procedure is as follows:
Step 1: Call your local Audi Dealer and schedule an appointment for an oil change.
Step 2: Arrive at the aforementioned Audi Dealer at your scheduled appointment time, and announce your presence (upon arrival, I recommend also singling-out a nearby potted plant and swearing at it vindictively).
Step 3: 1-2 hours later, oil change complete!

:-) Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, yes, if you want to do it yourself, the procedure is described on page 335 of the manual.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MrPlow
Yes, the oil change procedure is as follows:
Step 1: Call your local Audi Dealer and schedule an appointment for an oil change.
Step 2: Arrive at the aforementioned Audi Dealer at your scheduled appointment time, and announce your presence (upon arrival, I recommend also singling-out a nearby potted plant and swearing at it vindictively).
Step 3: 1-2 hours later, oil change complete!

:-) Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, yes, if you want to do it yourself, the procedure is described on page 335 of the manual.
Funny, but the Owner's manual does not show how to do an oil change, or filter part number, filter location, the oil capacity, or the recommend oil weight.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:54 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Is the filter one of those pain in the *** BMW type with the replaceable filter cartridge mounted inside of a reusable housing?
The following users liked this post:
Bob9 (07-25-2019)
Old 03-14-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

One step that is missing above is purchasing Audi Care for $869 before service is need and having all of the services covered by Audi for the first 5 years. Also keep in mind that your first service is covered by Audi at 10,000 miles. However if you insist on doing it yourself there are a couple procedures that can be used.

The first one is using an extraction tool that places a long tube in the oil pan using the tube at the top front of the engine and then sucking out all of the old oil and replacing it with new oil. The filter is a replaceable cartridge located right next to the extraction tube. To replace the cartridge you have to remove the housing and then replace the rubber gaskets when you put the housing back on. This is the method that almost all Audi dealers use when the car comes in for service.

The second method is your typical method of draining the oil from the oil pan, however it requires removing the lower splash pan held on by a lot of fasteners on the underside of the engine. Almost every dealer I have spoken to does not use this method due to the time needed and the risk of damage to the plastic fasteners and drain bolt (I have not seen it, but I have heard that the drain bolt might also be plastic). My local dealer says they see several cars come in after an outside shop has changed the oil from the drain plug and now it is leaking due to damage.

Keep in mind that the B9 motor uses a new 0W-20 motor oil that is 508.00/509.00 spec (it will have a green tint to it) and it uses something like 7 or 8 liters for the oil change. I had my dealer do the first oil change at 5,000 miles and the parts department had to pull the oil from stock in bottles since the shop did not have that oil in bulk since it is so new. It was also the first time a lot of the techs had seen this new oil for the car.

Here is a short video on the extraction method, but it doesn't show the oil filter replacement. Our cars do not have a dipstick to check level since it is now all done through the MMI. As of now, I have not seen anyone selling an actual dip stick for the car yet and even my dealer did not have one that worked with the new motor so they used the MMI as described in the service manual for the car.

Again, if you plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, Audi Care will make a lot of sense. It will cover all the oil changes, air filters, cabin filters, brake fluid flushes, inspections, and even spark plugs at 45K for $869. I like doing a lot of my own service, but with a price of $869 for Audi Care and a fantastic local dealer to me, it was a no brainer for me to get Audi Care when I bought the car and let the dealer take care of it for me.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
One step that is missing above is purchasing Audi Care for $869 before service is need and having all of the services covered by Audi for the first 5 years. Also keep in mind that your first service is covered by Audi at 10,000 miles. However if you insist on doing it yourself there are a couple procedures that can be used.

The first one is using an extraction tool that places a long tube in the oil pan using the tube at the top front of the engine and then sucking out all of the old oil and replacing it with new oil. The filter is a replaceable cartridge located right next to the extraction tube. To replace the cartridge you have to remove the housing and then replace the rubber gaskets when you put the housing back on. This is the method that almost all Audi dealers use when the car comes in for service.

The second method is your typical method of draining the oil from the oil pan, however it requires removing the lower splash pan held on by a lot of fasteners on the underside of the engine. Almost every dealer I have spoken to does not use this method due to the time needed and the risk of damage to the plastic fasteners and drain bolt (I have not seen it, but I have heard that the drain bolt might also be plastic). My local dealer says they see several cars come in after an outside shop has changed the oil from the drain plug and now it is leaking due to damage.

Keep in mind that the B9 motor uses a new 0W-20 motor oil that is 508.00/509.00 spec (it will have a green tint to it) and it uses something like 7 or 8 liters for the oil change. I had my dealer do the first oil change at 5,000 miles and the parts department had to pull the oil from stock in bottles since the shop did not have that oil in bulk since it is so new. It was also the first time a lot of the techs had seen this new oil for the car.

Here is a short video on the extraction method, but it doesn't show the oil filter replacement. Our cars do not have a dipstick to check level since it is now all done through the MMI. As of now, I have not seen anyone selling an actual dip stick for the car yet and even my dealer did not have one that worked with the new motor so they used the MMI as described in the service manual for the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQROKWizb4

Again, if you plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, Audi Care will make a lot of sense. It will cover all the oil changes, air filters, cabin filters, brake fluid flushes, inspections, and even spark plugs at 45K for $869. I like doing a lot of my own service, but with a price of $869 for Audi Care and a fantastic local dealer to me, it was a no brainer for me to get Audi Care when I bought the car and let the dealer take care of it for me.
Great info. Thanks

Before I saw your post, I had already went to my Audi dealer earlier today and spoke with the Tech Writer, who is also a mechanic. He told me all the same stuff you wrote in your post.
They use an extractor, filter is in the front and to use Castro EDGE Professional 0W20 Long Life IV 508/509 oil.
I picked up a filter at the Audi dealer today (part # 06M-198-405-F). I was unable to find the correct oil today, so I called Castro, I was told that it is a new Oil and it can only be purchased at the deal (bummer).
Maybe I'll have to buy from the dealer also.
Audi does the first oil cahnge for free at 10,000 miles. I don't like waiting that long on the original oil.

Thanks again, Bob
Old 03-15-2018, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob U
Great info. Thanks

Before I saw your post, I had already went to my Audi dealer earlier today and spoke with the Tech Writer, who is also a mechanic. He told me all the same stuff you wrote in your post.
They use an extractor, filter is in the front and to use Castro EDGE Professional 0W20 Long Life IV 508/509 oil.
I picked up a filter at the Audi dealer today (part # 06M-198-405-F). I was unable to find the correct oil today, so I called Castro, I was told that it is a new Oil and it can only be purchased at the deal (bummer).
Maybe I'll have to buy from the dealer also.
Audi does the first oil cahnge for free at 10,000 miles. I don't like waiting that long on the original oil.

Thanks again, Bob
Me too, which is why I had the dealer change the oil for the first time at 5,000 miles. They had a special running for $110, which was close to what it would have cost me in parts alone since the new oil can really only be bought at the dealer currently. If I added the price of buying an extractor, it actually would have cost me more to do it myself. Plus by having it done at the dealer it gave me a chance to meet some of the techs and service writers and see how nice the service department is at my local dealer.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny, but the Owner's manual does not show how to do an oil change, or filter part number, filter location, the oil capacity, or the recommend oil weight.
Which is why I'm signing up here: https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showHome.do I'll buy a 1-day subscription and download all the manuals I can. Someone in another thread says they're in PDF format, which would be great if that's still the case.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil change kit here

https://www.europaparts.com/oil-chan...s5-sq5-b9.html
Old 03-16-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was unable to find the correct oil today, so I called Castro, I was told that it is a new Oil and it can only be purchased at the deal (bummer).
You can buy it online, for example at ECS Tuning:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgLC6PD_BwE

I don't know how the price compares to what the dealer parts dept would charge you.

Quick Reply: S5 Oil Change