Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Purchase advice 2012 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Purchase advice 2012 Q5

I think I know the response but I'll ask anyway- budget minded buyer looking at 12, 13 Q 5's with some serious miles (85k-95k) in the $15k- 19k price range. Drove one today with 96k, PP, 1 owner dealer serviced throughout
and had piston ring replacement at 95k. Used car dealer asking $15.5 - brakes and tires done within last 10k. I'm aware of repair costs on these cars and could live with $1000yr for maintenance - so the advice of those with hi mileage
would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by dcwjr
I think I know the response but I'll ask anyway- budget minded buyer looking at 12, 13 Q 5's with some serious miles (85k-95k) in the $15k- 19k price range. Drove one today with 96k, PP, 1 owner dealer serviced throughout
and had piston ring replacement at 95k. Used car dealer asking $15.5 - brakes and tires done within last 10k. I'm aware of repair costs on these cars and could live with $1000yr for maintenance - so the advice of those with hi mileage
would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
On the one that you drove you didn't state the year. Some early 2012's with 2.0T engines still have bad timing chain tensioners which could fail and cause $7K worth or engine damage. Find out if the tensioner was replaced when they did the piston rings.
That may be a good buy at $15.5K. Did an Audi dealer replace the rings?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
On the one that you drove you didn't state the year. Some early 2012's with 2.0T engines still have bad timing chain tensioners which could fail and cause $7K worth or engine damage. Find out if the tensioner was replaced when they did the piston rings.
That may be a good buy at $15.5K. Did an Audi dealer replace the rings?
It was a 2012 PP and all service including the ring replacement was done at dealer
Old 03-17-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It was a 2012 PP and all service including the ring replacement was done at dealer
Then the dealer history should indicate if the timing chain tensioner was replaced or not. Find out the Q5 build date, open driver door, at the right, down side of door jam is the build date. If later 2012 it should have the latest/greatest tensioner.
It would be nice to find out exactly what the dealer replaced, when they did a ring job at that many miles they may have also replaced the timing chain, chain guides, etc. I'm sure that the dealer would tell you the history of the car.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Hmm, my suspicion is raised that the rings were done at 95k and the car is for sale at 96k.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
Hmm, my suspicion is raised that the rings were done at 95k and the car is for sale at 96k.
Dealer did the engine work prior to putting car up for sale, probably sat then was wholesaled. Planning on calling dealer next week for detail on engine work
Old 03-17-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Dealer did the engine work prior to putting car up for sale, probably sat then was wholesaled. Planning on calling dealer next week for detail on engine work
Is this at the dealer's used car lot, or a private used car lot? If really doesn't make any difference, my dealer doesn't keep used Audi high mileage vehicles that long, usually sends them to auction.

If dealer is no help, the used car lot should have access to their Carfax account, and if they won't do that for you, then they might be hiding something. My Audi dealer serviced vehicles list on Carfax almost
everything that has been done, including ring replacements, engines pulled for carbon cleaning, plus normal brake/rotors/alignments, etc. He does a very good job in vehicle history when viewed in Carfax.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 03-17-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Is this at the dealer's used car lot, or a private used car lot? If really doesn't make any difference, my dealer doesn't keep used Audi high mileage vehicles that long, usually sends them to auction.

If dealer is no help, the used car lot should have access to their Carfax account, and if they won't do that for you, then they might be hiding something. My Audi dealer serviced vehicles list on Carfax almost
everything that has been done, including ring replacements, engines pulled for carbon cleaning, plus normal brake/rotors/alignments, etc. He does a very good job in vehicle history when viewed in Carfax.
Current dealer buys from local Audi dealer, I have CarFax showing all recommended services done(18total) including engine work at 95k. Audi dealer had it for sale then wholesaled it to current dealer.
Initially I just wanted to see how it drove with no intention of buying but with the service history and piston replacement my interest is piqued.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Current dealer buys from local Audi dealer, I have CarFax showing all recommended services done(18total) including engine work at 95k. Audi dealer had it for sale then wholesaled it to current dealer.
Initially I just wanted to see how it drove with no intention of buying but with the service history and piston replacement my interest is piqued.
Is this a 3.2 or 2.0T engine?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

2.0T

Quick Reply: Purchase advice 2012 Q5