Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dealer blames me for a problem they can't fix.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Dealer blames me for a problem they can't fix.

I posted about intermittent failures of my soft close doors in another post. Other people have also reported this issue with their Q7. After a month at the dealer and a regional engineer looking at the problem, replacing the wiring harness in the driver's door etc. I took the car back. Two weeks later they mail me the paperwork and the diagnosis is......"system operating within design parameters. Operator error seems to be the cause."

At at no point did anyone say "here's what you're doing wrong" or " this is how you make the system work all the time." I've had soft close doors on multiple cars and am quite familiar with how the system works. I have asked Audi of America to contact me. The problem started after they replaced the driver's door soft close switch BTW.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they fixed it that is fine or they need to tell you what you are doing wrong.

If not it is is time to start the Lemon Law process. Then they will either fix or buy the vehicle back.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl
If they fixed it that is fine or they need to tell you what you are doing wrong.

If not it is is time to start the Lemon Law process. Then they will either fix or buy the vehicle back.
Definitely not fixed!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:56 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I would respond with a letter (this way it's in writing) explaining the issue from the beginning, their attempts to fix it, and yet the problem still exists. I would go on to explain that if the "system is operating within design parameters. Operator error seems to be the cause."

Then ask them to explain;
(1) Why was the harness replaced if there was nothing wrong?
(2) If it is the "Operators Error" then why at no time has it been explained what the Operator is doing wrong to cause the issue?

They have to provide you with some type of explanation..

Last edited by JT4; 03-20-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JT4
I would respond with a letter (this way it's in writing) explaining the issue from the beginning, their attempts to fix it, and yet the problem still exists. I would go on to explain that if the "system is operating within design parameters. Operator error seems to be the cause."

Then ask them to explain;
(1) Why was the harness replaced if there was nothing wrong?
(2) If it is the "Operators Error" then why at no time has it been has it been explained what the Operator is doing wrong to cause the issue?

They have to provide you with some type of explanation..
Good advice. I'm in the process.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl

Lemon Law for intermittent soft close door problems, really?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by djpeaksd
Lemon Law for intermittent soft close door problems, really?
Don't remember the brochure saying "Extra cost feature. Works 70% of the time."

Last edited by Corgiman; 03-19-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman
Don't remember the brochure saying "Extra cost feature. Works 70% of the time."
Not saying its ok that your power close doors are not working as they should. However, maybe a different dealership could resolve your problem? I also don't think you will get anywhere with Lemon law if this is your only issue.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by djpeaksd
Not saying its ok that your power close doors are not working as they should. However, maybe a different dealership could resolve your problem? I also don't think you will get anywhere with Lemon law if this is your only issue.
There are a couple of other people on the forum with the same issue that haven't gotten a fix. . I have contacted AoA to see if we can get this resolved. I've had this system on several other cars and never had an issue.

The whole "operator error" BS smacks of avoiding liability.

Last edited by Corgiman; 03-19-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman

There are a couple of other people on the forum with the same issue that haven't gotten a fix. . I have contacted AoA to see if we can get this resolved. I've had this system on several other cars and never had an issue.

The whole "operator error" BS smacks of avoiding liability.
You, unfortunately like many others, don’t seem to think that location is important but in California the lemon law my only be applied if the issue is a safety concern that causes loss of use. Your state may be different but loss of use due to the doors not closing softly is going to require a really creative attorney.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer blames me for a problem they can't fix.