Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Gas Filler Cap Leash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Gas Filler Cap Leash Replacement

So last week I fueled the car, and the fuel cap came off in my hand. With the thousands of high speed fillups I do so callously, it was only to be expected. [Not.]

I haven't asked at the parts counter, but apparently the leash IS a replaceable part. One end is a rubber loop that fits over a "T" on the filler door, and the other end is a square that is held into the filler cap with two small plastic dowels, like 5mm long pieces of black toothpick.

Press the dowels out with a toothpick, release the leash.

I have, again callously, chosen not to even ask Audi if the replacement leashes are sold in the US. Instead, I've taken ten inches of 2mm. Kevlar twine and placed loops on each end. One trapped by the retaining pins in the cap, the other snugged down around the filler door "T". This twine has a working load of some 300 pounds and is not weaked by petrochemicals or water, so it should pretty much outlast the rest of the car.

So...One more modification that makes my Q5 faster, lighter, better fuel mileage, and higher durability.

And now for the hard part, I've run out of little German flags to put under my driver's side window, to celebrate each engineering victory over Ingelstadt.(G)

Last edited by Reggie; 03-19-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Man Redd you like to push it .You're being monitored by Ingolstadt.Keep your head down.Sounds your solution should be permanent.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, my friend Donald's BFF Vlad teaches me so many things about "disinformation" that I can keep Ingolstadt quite happy all the time. They'll never know what hit them. I promised Vlad, he can put it all o boxcars to modernize the Lada factory.

We call that a win-win situation, yes?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
So last week I fueled the car, and the fuel cap came off in my hand. With the thousands of high speed fillups I do so callously, it was only to be expected. [Not.]

I haven't asked at the parts counter, but apparently the leash IS a replaceable part. One end is a rubber loop that fits over a "T" on the filler door, and the other end is a square that is held into the filler cap with two small plastic dowels, like 5mm long pieces of black toothpick.

Press the dowels out with a toothpick, release the leash.

I have, again callously, chosen not to even ask Audi if the replacement leashes are sold in the US. Instead, I've taken ten inches of 2mm. Kevlar twine and placed loops on each end. One trapped by the retaining pins in the cap, the other snugged down around the filler door "T". This twine has a working load of some 300 pounds and is not weaked by petrochemicals or water, so it should pretty much outlast the rest of the car.

So...One more modification that makes my Q5 faster, lighter, better fuel mileage, and higher durability.

And now for the hard part, I've run out of little German flags to put under my driver's side window, to celebrate each engineering victory over Ingelstadt.(G)
You will never be able to sell/trade-in your Q5 because it is highly modified! No one will want it!
Old 03-19-2018, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
You will never be able to sell/trade-in your Q5 because it is highly modified! No one will want it!
I'm counting on selling it to a sweet old thing who would never dream of soiling her little hands by opening the fuel filler panel.

The only obvious modification is the (almost complete) refinishing of the AC outboard console vent trim rings. They will no longer make the silver ghosts in my sideview mirrors. If you buy some very good beer, I'll show you how to fix yours, too.(G)

Hey, does that glossy "Quattro" plaque over the glove box also just pop out? It was strobing at me the other night, as overhead street lamps reflected through the glass top and bounced off it. That one's gotta go next.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Touchy touchy ! Worst experience I had in this department is when I used the original super glossy Armor-all on my dash top and followed that with a good coat of Rain X on the windshield.Made night driving kind of psychedelic.That was a while back, I've learned.My Q5 doesn't bug me too much.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not so touchy, but I suspect the problem is that I've had every car longer and longer, and the last one had few glitches and many years of faithful "grooming" to put those behind.

Two coats of Rustoleum dark brown matte finish camouflage paint (hey, it was the closest match on the shelf) and the vent trim rings now are invisible in the side mirrors. They're darker than the dash, but almost a perfect match for the window sills adjacent to them, so they work very nicely. Memo to anyone trying something like this: The entire vent assembly should be removed from the dash, and only then can you remove the trim ring without snapping some of the attachment clips. I'll have to kludge a little to get the perfect Audi seamless fit between them again, or else just order new trim rings and do it that way. I'm looking at the dash display now and saying "Hey, there's specular glare off that POS too..." and I already know how easily that one comes out.

If I'd bought an SQ, would that have come with black chrome instead, you know, like a "sport" model from GM? (VBG)
Old 03-20-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I'm counting on selling it to a sweet old thing who would never dream of soiling her little hands by opening the fuel filler panel.

The only obvious modification is the (almost complete) refinishing of the AC outboard console vent trim rings. They will no longer make the silver ghosts in my sideview mirrors. If you buy some very good beer, I'll show you how to fix yours, too.(G)

Hey, does that glossy "Quattro" plaque over the glove box also just pop out? It was strobing at me the other night, as overhead street lamps reflected through the glass top and bounced off it. That one's gotta go next.
I have never seen any ghost images of the vent trim rings in my side mirrors. I guess it depends on where your mirrors and seats are adjusted.

Plus I never really look and stare at my side mirrors much, I'm usually looking out the windshield where I'm going.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok Redd you do realize you owe us pic's if you want us to criticize/praise your decision.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Ok Redd you do realize you owe us pic's if you want us to criticize/praise your decision.
As they say, pics or it didn't happen.

Quick Reply: Gas Filler Cap Leash Replacement