A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Audi Over heating and blowing cold air

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Over heating and blowing cold air

Last week I purchased an Audi A4 b6 with 130k miles for 2.4k, so far I love the car, although driving it home I had over heating issues.

When driving over 3k rpms car over heats, not to mention the heater only very rarely blows warm air for a short amount of time. I noticed a white foamy substance in coolant reservoir and that the reservoir leaks from the bottom. Talked to some mechanic friends and they said it could be anything from a thermostat to a blown head.

If if some one can diagnose this so I’m not having nightmares of wasting 2k it would be phenomenal.

also water pump was recently replaced, please help!!!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which engine.
Could be thermostat,
Heater could be that the line was not purged properly to heater core.
Foamy could be different coolant types that are incompatable, or someone who put something in the radiator to stop a leak or possibly gasket leak

1, Take the oil cap off and see if there is stuff that looks like coffee and cream on it or the dipstick. this would be coolant in the oil "BAD"
2. Blown head gasket doesn't usually cause overheating per se, unless you are low on coolant.
there are tests for exhaust gas in coolant that would indicate a blown gasket.

Simplest and cheapest would be to fix the leak, swap out the coolant and flush with water and use proper coolant diluted with distilled water. Purge coolant line to the heater and top up to proper fill level
Check out that the fans work and the fuse isn't blown to the fan..

Make sure you test-drive used cars and check everything, and have a mechanic check them out before putting down an offer.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by david9999
Which engine.
Could be thermostat,
Heater could be that the line was not purged properly to heater core.
Foamy could be different coolant types that are incompatable, or someone who put something in the radiator to stop a leak or possibly gasket leak

1, Take the oil cap off and see if there is stuff that looks like coffee and cream on it or the dipstick. this would be coolant in the oil "BAD"
2. Blown head gasket doesn't usually cause overheating per se, unless you are low on coolant.
there are tests for exhaust gas in coolant that would indicate a blown gasket.

Simplest and cheapest would be to fix the leak, swap out the coolant and flush with water and use proper coolant diluted with distilled water. Purge coolant line to the heater and top up to proper fill level
Check out that the fans work and the fuse isn't blown to the fan..

Make sure you test-drive used cars and check everything, and have a mechanic check them out before putting down an offer.
Hello thanks for getting back to me I have the 1.8t

took it to the mechanic and they told me over the phone it seems that the previous owner tried to use stop leak to seal a leak, and it clogged the radiator. They said I might need a whole new radiator due to this, I was thinking they might be able to just do a flush? What do you think ?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it flushed or flush it yourself.
No sense buying a new radiator and then finding that he put stop leak for a blown head gasket..
Old 04-23-2018, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Check that the oil cooler isn't leaking oil into the cooling system. Mine was and produced beige foamy gunk in the cooling system that clogged it all up. Garage said it's quite common.
Needed new oil cooler (not to expensive) and new expansion tank as it had buggered the level sensor in there. Didn't have a new rad.