Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Suggestions on buying A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on buying A6

Hey everyone, I would greatly appreciate it if I got any suggestions or recommendations about purchasing an Audi. I currently own a 2014 Infiniti Q60s 6 speed manual. I bought it brand new and the car has been great. I am currently looking at a 2016 Audi A6 2.0T and it has 30500 miles on it. I have a few questions I am concern with since I've heard its pricey to keep the maintenance on an Audi. I looked at the Carfax and the Audi has already had some parts replaced... Heated oxygen sensor replaced at 7000 miles..cooling system hose replaced at 18000 miles.

Are those major things to look into deciding whether ill have more problems down the road? is that something common on these cars? Overall, are these cars reliable or will I need to keep fixing/ replacing things up here and there?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrizuela12
Hey everyone, I would greatly appreciate it if I got any suggestions or recommendations about purchasing an Audi. I currently own a 2014 Infiniti Q60s 6 speed manual. I bought it brand new and the car has been great. I am currently looking at a 2016 Audi A6 2.0T and it has 30500 miles on it. I have a few questions I am concern with since I've heard its pricey to keep the maintenance on an Audi. I looked at the Carfax and the Audi has already had some parts replaced... Heated oxygen sensor replaced at 7000 miles..cooling system hose replaced at 18000 miles.

Are those major things to look into deciding whether ill have more problems down the road? is that something common on these cars? Overall, are these cars reliable or will I need to keep fixing/ replacing things up here and there?

Thanks in advance!
We have a 2016 Audi A6 2.0T Quattro Premium Plus (with driver assist package, cold weather package, Bose stereo) with about 31K miles. There have been no repairs, no malfunctions or weird behavior to date. We have had it since new. We only get oil changes at 5K, 15K, 25K, 30K so far at about $80+tax/ visit at the dealer. I also consumes little/no oil. It is quick and gets about 35 mpg on the highway in the summer. Engine is silent on the highway but one can hear it a bit when cold and accelerating from stop. This is probably the most trouble free car we have ever had. We do take care of our cars ( proper break-in, warm-up, maintenance). If looking at a new V6, I would wait for the turbocharged model vs. the current supercharged V6. That change along with the new MLB platform should be a significant improvement.

Last edited by Fahrer; 03-22-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 03-22-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks a lot for your response! Will keep it in mind.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had a 2016 A6 3.0T but traded it in for a 2018 S5 Sportback. The A6 needed to have all 4 rotors replaced at about 40k miles due to warping.
I liked the supercharged V6 in the A6 better than the turbocharged V6 in the S5 from a hesitation standpoint. No lag with a supercharger.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be brief your choice of the 2.0T is best if you want to be lest costly in Maintenance. I would not worry about the previous warranty repairs on the vehicle. Also as a note Audi is currently ranked number 1 in reliability. Fyi factory warranty is until 4 years/ 50,000 miles from original purchase date whichever comes first. The vehicle is overall a great vehicle. If you want to have a little more confidence in buying the vehicle you can request if the vehicle is at an Audi dealership that the vehicle be certified, in doing this the certified pre owned warranty will provide a 2 year/ 50,000 mile addition to the factory warranty. Audi Queens is opening soon check out there website for more information about vehicles, pricing and you can even request more information for someone to contact you. Hope you find this useful.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Four cylinder is horrible in the A6, I got one as a loaner once, couldn’t believe Audi put the 2.0 in the A6. Mind you, not a bad engine at all just completely unsuited to that much car.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevereddy
Four cylinder is horrible in the A6, I got one as a loaner once, couldn’t believe Audi put the 2.0 in the A6. Mind you, not a bad engine at all just completely unsuited to that much car.
In Germany, the standard A6 engine is the 1.8T ( currently used as the base engine in the US market Golf). One must pay extra to get the 2.0T there. The larger engines are reserved for other models ( S6 etc). The 2.0T in the US market is almost as quick as the supercharged 3.0 due to the better shape of the power curve as well as the lighter weight. In addition the front end of the 4cyl model is lighter resulting in better handling.(Audi, M-B and BMW all use 4 cyl engines in the A6, E class and 5 series, respectively). The performance difference will be greater when the V6 becomes a turbo with the upcoming 2019 model. it will then have a power curve shaped more like the 4 cyl but with more power. I would say these 4 cyl engines are well suited to these mid-sized sedans. This is the trend. For example, Porsche improved the performance of their Boxster and Caymann by moving to 2.0 or 2.5 liter turbo 4 cyl engines vs the e.g. 3.4 six cyl ( non- turbo) models.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
In Germany, the standard A6 engine is the 1.8T ( currently used as the base engine in the US market Golf). One must pay extra to get the 2.0T there. The larger engines are reserved for other models ( S6 etc). The 2.0T in the US market is almost as quick as the supercharged 3.0 due to the better shape of the power curve as well as the lighter weight. In addition the front end of the 4cyl model is lighter resulting in better handling.(Audi, M-B and BMW all use 4 cyl engines in the A6, E class and 5 series, respectively). The performance difference will be greater when the V6 becomes a turbo with the upcoming 2019 model. it will then have a power curve shaped more like the 4 cyl but with more power. I would say these 4 cyl engines are well suited to these mid-sized sedans.
I agree, they did a good job with the new 4cyl and bumped up the hp & torque which is also why they put it in the Q7. Especially being paired up with the S tronic, that was a HUGE improvement to get rid of the CVT.

Last edited by Wuplur; 03-23-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stevereddy
^+1 Drove both the 2.0L and 3.0L in an A6 before I bought the 3.0L A6. Like you said, there was no way the 2.0L belonged in that car.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The 2.0T does feels like is working overtime in a car that close to 4000lb but it does cost less. I also think that we are use to getting a decent sized engine here in the US (compared to Euro) because of various reasons (ie gas price, reg fees etc.) Hence we usually dont see the smaller engine here, but that's also changing (ie the BMW 320i got a small 1.8L engine)

It all depends on what you are looking for, if you want a little bit more oomph, go with the 3.0T but if you dun care much about acceleration etc. you will be fine with the 2.0T

Quick Reply: Suggestions on buying A6