S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Like a Christmas Tree

Old 03-22-2018, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Like a Christmas Tree

Well, this can't be good, I thought.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What the DEUCE?!?!

Last edited by ghostrider990; 03-23-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: A place where I'm halfway to getting my degree. But with life reminding me, it's not easy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just throw the car out

Originally Posted by stanj
Well, this can't be good, I thought.

When the instruments light up like a Xmas tree.

Just throw the entire car out man. I've never seen that many warning lights in my life.

Sucks to see this happen. I would love to know what the dealers response is for all those malfunctions happening at the same time. Whether dependent or independent of one another.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That has got to be a computer diagnostic or central processing malfunction. There's no way that many systems have actual individal problems suddenly at the same time. This leads me to also believe there must be similar software/computer issues for those feeling they have delayed throttle response, since the majority of folks are not experiencing that particular issue.

Best wishes getting all that resolved, hopefully they can nail down the culprit and finally give you the car in its full glory.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:54 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your not alone. 2017 Allroad Towed the other day. Audi's buying that one back
Old 03-23-2018, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truly an unfortunate event, but I must admit my smirk with the timely Sammy Hagar song that displays on your 80’s channel at the end.

Please keep us posted on the root cause.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue. Mine was when they installed the dash at the factory the crimped a wire and the car was grounding out. Same exact issue.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't worry too much yet. A lot of times even one error code can trigger the Christmas Tree of lights. My guess is your dealer will be able to track that down pretty quickly. Best case scenario is it is software related and that can be updated right away. Worse case scenario is that it is a failed part that is on back order. However, the reality is probably in between and it will require a part they either have in stock or can get in a day or two.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, I can't drive 55. How true. I have a ticket portfolio to prove it

The cause seems to be a faulty ABS controller. What the movie doesn't show is that I found the car to be completely flat one morning, and then put it on a battery charger to even get it powered up. Apparently the controller has been eating up all my juices, too.

The bad news is that the nearest one is somewhere in the proximity of Ingolstadt, so it will take about two weeks to get installed. In the meantime I'm enjoying a completely stripped A4, which ironically has virtually no throttle lag in D, so it's a much better commuter car, even though it does sound pretty awful. It's really remarkable how much nicer this car is to drive in D. Kinda like you'd expect a car this decade...

I pointed out the Top View bug and was told that it's a known problem and that a fix is coming. I haven't been told anything about B&O trim being ripped out, but I'm sure I'll find it missing in a couple of weeks
Old 03-23-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnM789
I had the same issue. Mine was when they installed the dash at the factory the crimped a wire and the car was grounding out. Same exact issue.
Absolutely. An ABS controller shouldn't discharge a battery overnight - it isn't active. The cascade effect of sensor malfunction reporting is almost always an electrical problem, and the battery going flat is a pretty big clue. Hope the dealer doesn't replace 15 working components before finding the source of the wiring fault causing the electrical problem.

Hopefully this will improve other aspects of the car for Stanj which have been driving him nuts. Although the S4 will never be as "pleasant" (a very relative term in this case) as an A4 in D mode, the S4 is trying too hard to reduce emissions in D mode, which really stands for Drive_cycle_test mode.

Stanj, you must surely be an Australian abroad with that number plate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Like a Christmas Tree