Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sport seats, very uncomfortable.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default S5 Sport seats, very uncomfortable.

1. The bottom is too hard, My butt hurts after an hour in it.
2. Back pain (Still working on the right position for the lumbar support.

3. Main problem: The side bolsters on the front of the seat bottom dig into my fat thighs (220 lbs overall) and end up hurting for hours afterward, unless I hold my knees inward to keep the pressure off.
Now, this could be the incentive I need to lose weight, but I need to know if this is also a problem for those with skinny legs. If you're around 6 ft height, normal weight, do you have an issue with pressure against the bolsters against your thighs if you relax and let your legs spread outward?

(Almost bought a Polestar wagon, which has wonderful seats, but the dealer is too far, and there's no VCDS equivalent for Volvos .)
Old 03-24-2018, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm, I'm 6'0" and 164 lbs with long legs, I find the seats very comfortable. Love how they "hug" me.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Just to check the obvious. Did you adjust them all the way out?
Old 03-25-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I find the seats super comfy, both my wife and I do...and I'm 6' and 220.

Have taken many drives of 2-3 hours and always feel refreshed afterwards.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Turn on the massage.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

In 6’0” and 200 lbs and the seats don’t bother me at all. Then again I’m an athletic build so my waist and hips are narrow.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Just to check the obvious. Did you adjust them all the way out?
This is about the seat bottom bolsters digging into my legs.. They don't adjust. I had the same issue to some degree on my A3, and I resolved it by removing the seat and inserting a 1/2" thick sheet of stiff foam mat between the seat cushion and base pan to lif me out of the "pocket" a bit. Looks like I should be able to slide it in from the front here after removing the slide-out extender CUrrently using a pad / shim on tip of the seat, and it seems to help..
Also spending more time on the step exerciser that's been serving only as a jacket rack for the last few years.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

me and the wife find our S5 seats to be great no issue what so ever even on a long 6 hr drive to Vegas.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Waggin
This is about the seat bottom bolsters digging into my legs.. They don't adjust. I had the same issue to some degree on my A3, and I resolved it by removing the seat and inserting a 1/2" thick sheet of stiff foam mat between the seat cushion and base pan to lif me out of the "pocket" a bit. Looks like I should be able to slide it in from the front here after removing the slide-out extender CUrrently using a pad / shim on tip of the seat, and it seems to help..
Also spending more time on the step exerciser that's been serving only as a jacket rack for the last few years.
My bad, I didn't realize that the bottom bolsters can't be adjusted on the S5. R8 only I guess. Looks like at 6ft and 220 lbs you are borderline overweight/obese. The Audi sport seats are definitely made for fitter European body shapes. I'm 5'11" and fall squarely in the overweight category and if I gained weight, the non-adjustable bolsters in my RS5 would most likely start cutting into my legs as well, but as it is I've done up to 12 hours of driving in a single day with no issues. I've so far found the various Audi sport seats in the S models and above very comfortable and supportive. I do like to be hugged by the seats. The sports seats in the A models are rather roomy, so if you already had issues in the A3, then I'm not surprised if the S5 seats are a problem for you.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-25-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is one aspect of my S5 (expected next month) I'm not looking forward to. I've always preferred softer seats and this was made very clear to me decades ago when my father had Mercedes and I had a local GM product with very plush upholstery, We used to do the same long trip in either car and I was always less comfortable on the MB "park bench".

I never had any comfort issues in the Nissan Maxima I had 15 years ago, but I've struggled for 4 years to get a truly comfortable driving position in my BMW 428i. Sometimes it feels great, but a lot of the time it's just not quite right and I blame the firmness of the seat base for a lot of this,

I'm hoping the softer Nappa leather will help a bit as the BMW Dakota is pretty horrible stuff. Durable but stiff and hardly resembling quality soft leather.

Of course, no-one forced me to order the Audi instead of a Volvo f'rinstance. It just ticked more boxes for me, but seat comfort wasn't one of them. If it doesn't work for me after a few months, I might go to a quality auto upholsterer and see if they can make some subtle adjustments.

But TBH I do wonder if some of it is psychological as it's hard to get comfortable if you've already made up your mind this will be difficult. And I am talking about subtleties rather than glaring issues. Definitely 1st world problems here.

Quick Reply: S5 Sport seats, very uncomfortable.