A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Pre-sense and rattles

Old 04-10-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Pre-sense and rattles

My Tuesday two-fer:

I just had the windshield replaced on my 2018 Premium Pluus because of a ding. The dealer charged close to $500 to re-calibrate the windshield. This was due to the pre-sense camera. (Insurance paid it btw) My question is what the heck does this camera do? I've never had a warning or alert when pedestrians cross my path in the city. Am I missing something there?

Topic 2: I just realized after driving a rented Nissan Altima and Chevy Caprice that those cars were rattle-free. My A4 with 5K on the odo is getting noisy, mostly around the doors. For the driver's door, I hear what seems to be the rubber seal flexing, and sometimes a plastic pop sound. Anyone else experiencing this? Any information?
Old 04-10-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah the rattles are compleat BS. It may be that the car is quieter so you hear them but I have some that are inexcusable.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ptmdsharp
My Tuesday two-fer:

I just had the windshield replaced on my 2018 Premium Pluus because of a ding. The dealer charged close to $500 to re-calibrate the windshield. This was due to the pre-sense camera. (Insurance paid it btw) My question is what the heck does this camera do? I've never had a warning or alert when pedestrians cross my path in the city. Am I missing something there?

Topic 2: I just realized after driving a rented Nissan Altima and Chevy Caprice that those cars were rattle-free. My A4 with 5K on the odo is getting noisy, mostly around the doors. For the driver's door, I hear what seems to be the rubber seal flexing, and sometimes a plastic pop sound. Anyone else experiencing this? Any information?
Regarding Topic 2, having the same noise issues at just 3.5k miles on my A4 allroad. Mostly on the passenger side but constant popping/flexing noises around the windows and pillars. This is my first car in 20+ years and for the money this is really disappointing. Have a service appt. scheduled with Audi tomorrow and will see if they address. Seriously considering selling this thing and finding something else if not. Not acceptable.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lemme know how the dealer visit goes... because mine is headed to the dealer soon as well. I'm worried that they'll just use some sort of lubricant on the seals and call it good.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you hear the rattles coming from the b-pillar? I drove the my a4 for nearly a year and it was driving me absolutely crazy. It would rattle like crazy when going over the tiniest bumps. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a loose clip and they “fixed it”. Turns out they didn’t even bother to open it up. I took off the b-pillar from the car, test drove it and the rattle was gone. So I went and completely felt taped the b-pillar up and rattle is gone. Now the only noise I hear is the occasional squeak(plastic flexing?) when I hit a bump on the road.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

All VAG group cars have this issue with rattles and flexing. I have three VWs in India (Polo, Vento and Jetta) and three Audis here (had an A6 too) and they all make similar rattles and squeaks and creaks. It’s embarassing that such expensive cars make a lot of noise. But I’ve noticed that my X3 also makes some of these rattles though not as much. Funny enough I’ve been in a few jap cars and through they’re supposed to have bad or lower build quality compared to European cars, they made less noises!
Old 04-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

2017 Audi A4 Premium Plus
I have the same popping sound on my car. Sounds like a pop or clunk coming from behind my left shoulder when I make sharp turns. It might be coming from the seat track or inside the lower part of the drivers' door or inside the rear door behind the driver. I would have a hard time replicating the sound if I brought my car in since it comes and goes.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

The rattles are starting to drive me insane. Most are from the door panels, and sound like a loose wire that's tapping the panel. Last time I was at the dealer they claimed they couldn't replicate them. I'll have to open up the panels myself some day and try to fix the rattles.

Another rattle I had that was driving me insane was from the storage compartment, left side of the steering wheel. I had to stick some foam between the panel joint and it reduced it, but not completely.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dougdmg
2017 Audi A4 Premium Plus
I have the same popping sound on my car. Sounds like a pop or clunk coming from behind my left shoulder when I make sharp turns. It might be coming from the seat track or inside the lower part of the drivers' door or inside the rear door behind the driver. I would have a hard time replicating the sound if I brought my car in since it comes and goes.
My 17 A4 allroad PP is at the dealer now for service. They were attentive so fingers crossed it will be fixed. Should have the car back by tomorrow and will report back.

In the meantime found this link, which I included on my work order when scheduling service, which is pretty spot on: https://clyp.it/uhv01p0z
Old 04-12-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LA4091
My 17 A4 allroad PP is at the dealer now for service. They were attentive so fingers crossed it will be fixed. Should have the car back by tomorrow and will report back.

In the meantime found this link, which I included on my work order when scheduling service, which is pretty spot on: https://clyp.it/uhv01p0z
I've had my 2017 Premium Plus at the dealer three times for a rattle from the passenger door, for a total of 10 days. Dealer finally seems to have fixed it. If it recurs, I'm returning the car. Seriously.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pre-sense and rattles