Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Traffic Sign Recognition Kufatec in Australia

Old 04-19-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traffic Sign Recognition Kufatec in Australia

Hi all - I am not having the same luck that I had with TJA unfortunately. I applied the Kufatec dongle to my car last night and the VC screen for traffic sign recognition changed its message from "No traffic signs recognised" to "Traffic sign recognition is not currently available in your Country" (or something very similar to that). Reaching out to see if anyone else has usd Kufatec and experienced anything similar? I am sure after coding on the first drive I saw a sign flash up in the HUD for a split second but that was about it - drove past multiple signs with no recognition and then this morning I noted the change in message. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Is that a supported option in Australia? It detects the white road signs (which are different based on region) to grab the speeds. Maybe it geographically inhibits Australia?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think it must be a geographic restriction - just like audi connect seems to be as well. This is frustrating!!!!!

Be really interested to learn from any others who may have worked around the country codes in their cars (without impacting nav)?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

You might not have software to detect Australian road signs (if it's a geo thing). I hope you figure it out though, that's one of the useful features (especially if you have the HUD).
Old 04-20-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same result with the Kufatec module in South Africa. (Our road signs are basically the same as that of the UK). I suspect it has something to to with the NAV database.
With that said, I have discovered the following:
If one passes a traffic speed sign within the first 50 - 100 m after turning the vehicle on, the TSR comes alive and continues to work until next time the vehicle is turned off. (Speed limit is shown in the VC as well as the HUD).
If you keep the ODBEleven and connected to your smartphone, you can wake the TSR by doing the following: Change the Road Sign Fusion mode under adaptions to the top one (can't remember what it is called) and press the Green button to apply the change. Next change the Road sign Fusion mode back to the middle option (I think that is Road Sign Recognition, but I'm not sure). Do not however press the green button to apply the change. Wait until you see a Speed Sign coming up and with about 100m to go, press the green button to apply the change. The TSR will continue to work until the vehicle is turned off.
I discovered this by mistake and although not practical to do this every time, it may lead to some of the clever guys to figure out a way/setting to get the TSR working all the time.
Oh, TSR is not available as an option in South Africa.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I manually coded TSR using OBD eleven in Aus successfully. The only issue is that i cant get it to display in the HUD or get the menu option in DAP on the MMI screen.
Do you have any OBD eleven that you can dump the A5, 5F, 17, 7 82 gateways here? I may be able to help, and it may shed some light on why my HUD wont display TSR.

Thanks,
Trickey
Old 06-17-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TrickeyA4B9
I manually coded TSR using OBD eleven in Aus successfully. The only issue is that i cant get it to display in the HUD or get the menu option in DAP on the MMI screen.
Do you have any OBD eleven that you can dump the A5, 5F, 17, 7 82 gateways here? I may be able to help, and it may shed some light on why my HUD wont display TSR.

Thanks,
Trickey
Thanks Trickey,

The sounds encouraging. Are you able to share the steps you took in your coding please? I will download the configurations for those modules and upload as well. Do you get the traffic speed signs displaying on the bottom left of the Virtual cockpit?

Cheers,
Brent
Old 06-21-2018, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a new Q7, fully optioned, ;late March 2018 build, have activated TSR with the Kufatec dongle purchases from Europe, It added TRS setting in the MMI, (quite a few ) and can be selected and seen in the VC as well. But does say "not supported in Australia", there are no errors thrown. It seems there is a GEO at work in the software somewhere. They use the same dongle in England as it works there now and you can buy it through the dealerships there for $300 Euro for a similar product.

With BMW & Merc now having TSR in Australia, Audi will be under pressure to activate it, the story of there camera not working with our signs is wearing a little thin as the signs in Australia are a Standard and comply.

Will most likely buy the new model 2019 X5 when it comes out next year, as their touch screen and widgets , digital dash etc, connectivity will be well advance in that model.

Just find it hard to believe that Audi Australia would be so stupid as to not activate TSR & Audi Connect here when BMW & Merc are ahead of them, I would just like the sign displayed and ntr really worried about it connecting to the speed limiter and slowing me down.

See what happens in the next 6 months?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Woolly
Thanks Trickey,

The sounds encouraging. Are you able to share the steps you took in your coding please? I will download the configurations for those modules and upload as well. Do you get the traffic speed signs displaying on the bottom left of the Virtual cockpit?

Cheers,
Brent
Will post my module code dumps this weekend. I have played with the coding so much over the last few months that I am not sure what finally got it working but the steps were basically the same as the audi wiki.
i do get the signs (only speed) in the DA tab of the VC, both large in the middle and small on the bottom right next to auto high beam icon.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's very interesting, would be great to know what code switches off the warning that Traffic Sign Recognition is not supported in your country?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traffic Sign Recognition Kufatec in Australia