Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 not selling, prices dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 not selling, prices dropping?

I've been shopping for an S5 and following the market. Prices seem to be dropping and cars seem to be staying on the lots. Looking at Edmunds, the car seems to be selling below invoice. Given the positive reviews of the car, I'm surprised sales aren't better. Any thoughts on why this is?
Old 04-22-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by kameleon
I've been shopping for an S5 and following the market. Prices seem to be dropping and cars seem to be staying on the lots. Looking at Edmunds, the car seems to be selling below invoice. Given the positive reviews of the car, I'm surprised sales aren't better. Any thoughts on why this is?
Because Americans increasingly prefer SUVs? The S5 is not heavy, tall, or fat enough to be desirable. In the short term, it's good news for car buyers because we have more bargaining power. In the long term, it's bad because we'll all be stuck driving Q5s.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:22 AM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I am S5 shopping right now, and I am getting 8% off MSRP all day, but can't get anyone to move past that.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default unlikely...

Originally Posted by kameleon
In the last reported month - March 2018 - U.S. sales of the A5/S5 (2587) were close to the total for the past three years (1303, 784 & 674). This was the best month ever except for December 2017 (2958). Individual models are not broken out: if you're talking about the S5 coupe it may be that the S5 Sportback is starving the coupe sales.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hevnsnt
I am S5 shopping right now, and I am getting 8% off MSRP all day, but can't get anyone to move past that.
That's what I got (8% plus $1k loyalty) when I purchased a month ago - the first dealer I contacted offered that right off the bat, then got my local dealer to match (their initial offer was 5.5%).

Got killed on my trade-in though - after getting the dealer's initial offer, I took the car to Carmax who offered $300 less. Since it was a TDI, there was a lot of uncertainty over the value - dealer sold it in less than 3 weeks for $6k more than they gave me. Oh well, still feel like a got a good deal and very happy with the S5.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Because coupes just don't sell well. Sportbacks don't get discounted as much.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TT is even worse. this is an ongoing trend
Old 04-22-2018, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
TT is even worse. this is an ongoing trend
TT is like a turd on the lot nobody wants to touch. Salespeople told me they just sit and sit. If you want one though - used market sounds great to get a good deal.

I can see the Coupe being a slow seller. Isn't it like 1-2% of all cars sold nowadays? Initial S5 sales should be good and I think they'd just naturally taper down as the car got older. The initial sales being boosted by the fanatics.

Last edited by caranddriver; 04-22-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by hevnsnt
8% is awesome.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=-
8% is awesome.
Agreed. Granted everything varies locally based on supply and demand. About a month ago when I bought mine, the 2 closest dealers had only 4 or 5 S5's in stock. I'm near Chicago, so the dealer I worked with shows 700+ new Audi's in stock. Sales guy said they are typically sold before they hit the lot.

I was somewhere between 6-7% off MSRP, and I got mine via a dealer trade to match the options I wanted. I might be on the short end of the stick with regards to what I got off, but I had a project come up for business where I was going to be making a 4 hour (one-way) drive for work on a weekly basis for a couple of months. I was willing to leave a couple of dollars on the table if that meant I could more of those trips in the new S5.

Quick Reply: S5 not selling, prices dropping?