Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Does anyone really use the Blind Spot Monitoring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Does anyone really use the Blind Spot Monitoring?

This is not just an Audi question, but generally speaking, I guess. It's nice to have, but in slower traffic I have seen it not light up when next to a car, so I don't really trust it much.

I'll still look at my mirrors and do the shoulder check and almost ignore the blind spot light. What would have been nice is if the blind spot indicator was on the HUD like Hyundai/Genesis does: https://www.edmunds.com/kia/k900/201...p-display.html

That would be much more useful as you won't even have to look at your mirrors to know if you can change lanes. Audi really needs to improve on the HUD a lot more IMO. Thoughts?
Old 04-22-2018, 02:48 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a data providing tool that I use when driving and I haven't seen it fail to sense a vehicle in the blind spot yet - in 10 months of driving.

And.. you need to use your mirrors when you drive, always. Don't be that guy
The following users liked this post:
BostonS5sb (04-02-2022)
Old 04-22-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by N8!
It's a data providing tool that I use when driving and I haven't seen it fail to sense a vehicle in the blind spot yet - in 10 months of driving.

And.. you need to use your mirrors when you drive, always. Don't be that guy
Trust me, I'm not that guy. I will shoulder check (always signal) even when I have mirrors set correctly to minimize blind spots. I have had a few experiences in slow moving traffic where the blind spot monitors didn't even light up so I tend to ignore them for the most part.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100% I use it. Why wouldn't you? If it's lit up, there's a car next to you. If it's not, you need to check. I quickly glance at the mirror, then glance back and go.
The following users liked this post:
BostonS5sb (04-02-2022)
Old 04-22-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
This is not just an Audi question, but generally speaking, I guess. It's nice to have, but in slower traffic I have seen it not light up when next to a car, so I don't really trust it much.

I'll still look at my mirrors and do the shoulder check and almost ignore the blind spot light. What would have been nice is if the blind spot indicator was on the HUD like Hyundai/Genesis does: https://www.edmunds.com/kia/k900/201...p-display.html

That would be much more useful as you won't even have to look at your mirrors to know if you can change lanes. Audi really needs to improve on the HUD a lot more IMO. Thoughts?
I guess what I like better about what Audi does versus Hyundai is that you still use the mirrors. So you don't have to change your habits, it just *improves* what you already do. I think having the information someplace else there's the risk of relying on it and not using the mirrors to see things anyway. Or if you do then what's the point?
Old 04-22-2018, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by friguy3
100% I use it. Why wouldn't you? If it's lit up, there's a car next to you. If it's not, you need to check. I quickly glance at the mirror, then glance back and go.
Yeah, but if I'm quickly glancing at the mirror, might as well actually look at what's in my view.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedBullet
I guess what I like better about what Audi does versus Hyundai is that you still use the mirrors. So you don't have to change your habits, it just *improves* what you already do. I think having the information someplace else there's the risk of relying on it and not using the mirrors to see things anyway. Or if you do then what's the point?
Well, the Hyundais have both the in-mirror and in-HUD BSM indicators. I think it would help having them on the HUD as well as you you can look ahead and see and if there someone in your blind spot. Of course you should still check your side and rear mirrors when changing lanes.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I don't use it. I consider it pretty much the least useful feature. It doesn't provide any data that I don't already have. I learned a long time ago how to adjust the mirrors to eliminate blind spots and I constantly check my mirrors to be aware of what's going on around me. Not just when I need to change lanes. I think blind spot monitoring has been invented because most people never learn how to adjust their mirrors and situational awareness. It's evidence of the sad state of driver education.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-22-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I don't use it. I consider it pretty much the least useful feature. It doesn't provide any data that I don't already have. I leaned a long time ago how to adjust the mirrors to eliminate blind spots and I constantly check my mirrors to be aware of what's going on around me. Not just when I need to change lanes. I think blind spot monitoring has been invented because most people never learn how to adjust their mirrors and situational awareness. It's evidence of the sad state of driver education.
I actually loved the way Honda did the Lanewatch system. Sadly they did away with it in newer models because of silly regulations which consider it only a passive system and not an active BSM system. It was really good and simple. Basically a right side camera that showed you your blind spot. Better than you could do on your own for the most part.

I think Audi and others need to bring that back. Just need to toggle them on when you start signaling. Just need to up the MTBF for the cameras and have them point backwards from the side mirrors.

I trust a cameras vision more than a radar's ability to identify a vehicle.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I use side assist or blind spot monitoring as a second opinion. I do my shoulder checks (out of habit) and as my gaze goes back to the road ahead, I look at the blind spot indicator to ensure there is indeed nothing on my blind spot.

Quick Reply: Does anyone really use the Blind Spot Monitoring?