A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Replacing Air and Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Air and Cabin Filter

Does anyone have a guide or video no how to replace the Cabin and Air filter on a B9 A4?
Old 04-25-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The cabin filter is easy. No tools needed.

Go under the passenger dash, look up, and remove the two thumb screws securing the cover. The cover is flexible so bend it as needed. You will then see a flat plastic cover for the filter curved like a banana towards the door side of the dash. Around the cover are small clips that are released by hand, work from the long straight side towards the curved end. After the cover is released you can easily pull the cabin filter out. Install new filter in the proper flow orientation and reverse the process.

The engine air filter is more involved, and I think the change interval there is at 60k miles. Once I hit that mark I'll post a guide.
The following users liked this post:
keaton824 (11-03-2021)
Old 04-25-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Remove the screws

Slightly pull it out

Air filter. Remove by twisting it out

Thanks I will try opening the cabin filter as you said. I was able to get the air filter open as such by just removing screws. Thw filter is circular and is twist off. Attaching photos of it.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks the Cabin filter is a little tough due to it's location. Can we confirm the air filter needs replace at 60K? Just seems like a long time? Thx
Old 02-25-2019, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by josgarc
Thanks the Cabin filter is a little tough due to it's location. Can we confirm the air filter needs replace at 60K? Just seems like a long time? Thx
I think it really depends on your environment too. From my understanding, people who live in AZ have to change their filters way more often because of all the dust storms. If you live in other places like Montana, it could last that long if not longer. I would say it doesnt hurt to check it every 10k(after 30k) and make the decision to replace at that point.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Just cleaned the engine air filter chamber and the air filter. The dirtiest filter chamber I ever saw. Lots of leaf debris and other dirt. Small leaf debris stuck in filter media gaps. Had to pound them off or air blow them off. I am right at 30k miles, thinking to change it.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by breadbooze
The cabin filter is easy. No tools needed.

Go under the passenger dash, look up, and remove the two thumb screws securing the cover. The cover is flexible so bend it as needed. You will then see a flat plastic cover for the filter curved like a banana towards the door side of the dash. Around the cover are small clips that are released by hand, work from the long straight side towards the curved end. After the cover is released you can easily pull the cabin filter out. Install new filter in the proper flow orientation and reverse the process.

The engine air filter is more involved, and I think the change interval there is at 60k miles. Once I hit that mark I'll post a guide.
my cabin air filter cover had 2 screws holding it in place. Both are near the center of the cover. The one you can contort your body and see is against the carpet of the floor board. It's the one you can actually see but hardest to get to. I used a 7/32 socket with a swivel on my 1/4 ratchet. The one on the side towards the seat is easily reached, but I couldn't see it. Go figure.

Last edited by dbias; 02-26-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just changed my air filter and cabin filter at 13500 miles (I'm old school). The air filter was still pretty much clean and I was surprised. Just use a T20 screwdriver and remove the 6 screws.

Everything I read about the horror stories about the cabin filter I never ran into. Yes, it is in an awkward position and if you are a noseguard for the Steelers then you will have your problems. Find someone smaller to do it for you. The filter door was easy to snap on and off. The filter curves easy enough and fits nicely into the housing.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, I managed to change the aforementioned filter!! I'm certainly not the most practical minded person, so feel a sense of achievement with doing this!! Doubt I'll have attempted it without this thread though, so a big thumbs up to all the contributions above. No clips broken, no screws, back ok, although my neck took a bit more of a beating in getting under there.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

The cabin air filter location in this car is the worst among the cars I had for the past 15 years or so. Pain in the A to change.

Quick Reply: Replacing Air and Cabin Filter