Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

MMI Updates and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Updates and warranty

Hello,

I want to update my MMI firmware so that I can use ATT vs just TMobile only. I was told by dealer they don't do free updates anymore and I would have to pay. I still have about 5 months warranty left and want to know if I update the MMI, would this void my warranty? I have 3g+ MMI. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting, would love to know the answer to this too.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a standard price for update I'm curious as well.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on the year of the vehicle some just needed the zug update to atleast 814 (942 is the newest and will be installed) to allow AT&T sims which I just charged a customer 1 1/2hrs and our rate is $169hr and it took more like 2hrs since it was a 2012 coming from 409. Some early vehicles also required a module replacement which required removing the 5F, opening it, and replacing a module inside and this was much more costly since the module is about $500 and 3hrs labor which includes the update, obviously varies dealer to dealer. I would just try the update and have them see if it reads an AT&T sim which they can test in the shop because I believe but can’t remember fully that the module was only required if you wanted to stay with T-Mobile and get 3g again.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wuplur
Depending on the year of the vehicle some just needed the zug update to atleast 814 (942 is the newest and will be installed) to allow AT&T sims which I just charged a customer 1 1/2hrs and our rate is $169hr and it took more like 2hrs since it was a 2012 coming from 409. Some early vehicles also required a module replacement which required removing the 5F, opening it, and replacing a module inside and this was much more costly since the module is about $500 and 3hrs labor which includes the update, obviously varies dealer to dealer. I would just try the update and have them see if it reads an AT&T sim which they can test in the shop because I believe but can’t remember fully that the module was only required if you wanted to stay with T-Mobile and get 3g again.
So if I one does the update themselves, does that void the warranty?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by C Tang
So if I one does the update themselves, does that void the warranty?
If you were to somehow get the software to update to 814 or 942 then this would not void your warranty. However, after we do the ZUG updates, we also do an svm update which communicates online to Germany and lets them know we updated the software and will allow you to clear the fault that shows up after the update. Also, depending what version you are coming from, the svm will also perform any necessary coding or parameterization changes automatically. If you were to do the module replacement on your own then this would void the warranty for any 5F MMI concerns because you would have to tear the seal on the module and when the dealer does it they have a special seal to replace it with including a form and sticker they fill out indicating it was replaced.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you were to somehow get the software to update to 814 or 942 then this would not void your warranty. However, after we do the ZUG updates, we also do an svm update which communicates online to Germany and lets them know we updated the software and will allow you to clear the fault that shows up after the update. Also, depending what version you are coming from, the svm will also perform any necessary coding or parameterization changes automatically. If you were to do the module replacement on your own then this would void the warranty for any 5F MMI concerns because you would have to tear the seal on the module and when the dealer does it they have a special seal to replace it with including a form and sticker they fill out indicating it was replaced.
Seems like as long as it flashes properly to 942, then my warranty would not be voided as it would not be performed by an Audi dealer. Do you guys normally check for MMI version for regular maintenance at all? Just curious if someone brings their car in for service, under warranty and then do a check and see the new update that was not added to Audi records, would they say we can't touch your car or if we do, you will be charged.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Seems like as long as it flashes properly to 942, then my warranty would not be voided as it would not be performed by an Audi dealer. Do you guys normally check for MMI version for regular maintenance at all? Just curious if someone brings their car in for service, under warranty and then do a check and see the new update that was not added to Audi records, would they say we can't touch your car or if we do, you will be charged.
Correct, your warranty would not be voided if you performed the update successfully on your own but keep in mind that it will cause a fault in the 5F afterwards and depending what software you are coming from then the system may need additional coding or parameters changed also that may cause glitches or functions to not operate properly. The updates always come out with a TSB to fix customer concerns. If there is no customer concern then we do not check or recommend MMI updates.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Correct, your warranty would not be voided if you performed the update successfully on your own but keep in mind that it will cause a fault in the 5F afterwards and depending what software you are coming from then the system may need additional coding or parameters changed also that may cause glitches or functions to not operate properly. The updates always come out with a TSB to fix customer concerns. If there is no customer concern then we do not check or recommend MMI updates.
If I go this route, I will borrow a vagcom and reset the fault in 5F. I assume this is easy to do? Thank you again! Your insights are extremely helpful and awesome!
Old 04-26-2018, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

If I go this route, I will borrow a vagcom and reset the fault in 5F. I assume this is easy to do? Thank you again! Your insights are extremely helpful and awesome!
Unfortunately the vagcom will not be able to clear the fault that pops up just like our factory tool wont clear it either. We have to do an svm after the update that lets Germany know that we updated the module and they do something back to the car which then allows us to clear it.

Quick Reply: MMI Updates and warranty