Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Panoramic sunroof issues....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Panoramic sunroof issues....

Admittedly its been quite some time since i have been on the forum but thats mostly because i have generally enjoyed my SQ5 since the day i bought it. 62,000 miles later, while it may not come as much of a surprise to many here, despite several attempts at a few different dealerships, the panoramic roof still makes noise. It's most noticeable at low speeds and whether the sunshade is open or closed or the road is bumpy or smooth seem to have minimal impact. What's especially annoying is after posting a comment on twitter while i was overseas, Audi reached out to me and said they wanted to help rectify the problem. Since returning I have tried addressing the issue but so far the joke is on me - i am out $210 and the noise hasnt gone away. When I reached back out to one of the four "customer advocates" I have communicated with over the last several months, the response was underwhelming. As I continue to work through this process I was just wondering if anyone has had any success silencing the sunroof and/or has experience working with the customer advocates.

Dave
Old 04-26-2018, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find that if I step real hard on that right hand pedal down by my feet, the sunroof noise seems to go away rather quickly...

Seriously...I brought my car in twice for the panoramic sunroof. The first time, the dealer added a new felt liner to improve the seal; but unfortunately, the noise actually increased. I believe the sunroof couldn't close correctly as a result.
The second time seemed to work because they adjusted the mechanism that closes the sunroof...and it now retracts completely into the track, and I have no more noise.

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but it worked for me.

Jason
New York
Old 04-26-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

They have to replace the whole sunroof frame. This is the only solution. Had it done a couple of years ago.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

after dealing with three or four different "advocates" and getting run in circles i finally asked for a supervisor and got a call from "corporate." I am almost due for my 65k mile service and plan to give it one more go.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:06 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Fwiw I had the sunroof frame replaced before and this did not resolve the issue. (They even broke my windshield in the process.)
Ultimately the only solution I found is to periodically clean and regrease the rubber seals with krytox grease. The stuff is pricey but worth it to silence the noise. If even only temporarily.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default problems with the sunroof on my audi q5

a few days ago i bought my audi q5 and we started to hear a little squeak on the roof, we took it to audi, after a few days the car was delivered to me a week later the sound appeared again. I took it back to Audi and this time the car took more days to review, they said they adjusted some things on the roof and the sound disappeared again. this same thing happened 3 more times, the car for several days in Audi and the sound problem on the ceiling was solved for a few days and it sounded again. checking the sunroof myself I realized that the The wind reflector when closing the sunroof and going through potholes moved and hit the teeth that hold them to the sunroof, I think these teeth are not long enough to leave Holding the deflector tight against the base, so when going through bumps it moves, I thought to add something to these teeth and the sound disappeared.I leave here images and details of what I did, since taking the car back to Audi would be a waste of time and money.I cut 4 rectangular pieces of hard rubber, it could be from a tire or something that is not paste, it must be hard rubber, and I added to the right and left teeth of the sunroof These rubbers, two on each side with instant glue, is definitely my solution, I can open and close the roof, and without the irritating sound. I hope someone finds this cheap solution useful. economical and simple