Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Mystery! 2018 SQ5 tailgate opening by itself

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mystery! 2018 SQ5 tailgate opening by itself

This will sound crazy, but two times now I have gone out to find the tailgate open. Last night, it poured down rain, and went out this morning and it was standing wide open. Vehicle still locked and it chirped when I pushed the button and closed it. Last drove it at 6, locked the vehicle when I got home. Let the dog out at 10 and it was closed. 6 AM, wide open. I’ve found it open in the garage one time before. Anyone else noted anything like this?
Old 04-27-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fignewton
This will sound crazy, but two times now I have gone out to find the tailgate open. Last night, it poured down rain, and went out this morning and it was standing wide open. Vehicle still locked and it chirped when I pushed the button and closed it. Last drove it at 6, locked the vehicle when I got home. Let the dog out at 10 and it was closed. 6 AM, wide open. I’ve found it open in the garage one time before. Anyone else noted anything like this?
I was shocked when I came out one morning to see my tailgate open and up against my garage door. Needless to say that I didn't leave it open the night before. The only conclusion that I could come to is that I somehow hit the tailgate open button on the remote key when taking the key out of my pocket. It seemed like a long shot explanation, but it hasn't happened since and I am sure hoping that it never happens again.
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, you know what, this happened to me a couple of times as well. I believe the cause is that I had the keys in my pocket and somehow I ended up pushing the trunk release button. It was raining one time and my neighbour knocked on my door to let me know. Is it possible that you did this as well? I couldn't figure it out until I took the keys out of my pocket...

Maybe try that?
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GiftCard
I was shocked when I came out one morning to see my tailgate open and up against my garage door. Needless to say that I didn't leave it open the night before. The only conclusion that I could come to is that I somehow hit the tailgate open button on the remote key when taking the key out of my pocket. It seemed like a long shot explanation, but it hasn't happened since and I am sure hoping that it never happens again.
Yeah that is it. I had my open 3 times while talking to a neighbour (key in my jeans), as soon as I took the keys out of my jeans and hand held it, problem stopped....
Old 04-27-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

When the key fob is in your pocket I've discovered it's best to have the fob oriented so that the buttons are facing "in" toward your body, rather than facing "out" > which makes the fob buttons much more vulnerable to inadvertent pressing.
Not sure what's happening with the OP's vehicle, whether it's a vehicle glitch or a key fob "issue".
Old 04-27-2018, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I used OBD-Eleven to require something like an 8 second hold. You could try that. If interested there is a thread on making such changes.
The following users liked this post:
Sugar Ray Rob (03-31-2020)
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The button is very sensitive. I have done this a couple times in the driveway. Once while it was in the garage. I didn't notice it, and opened the door as walked into the garage. The tailgate was into the garage door. Luckily, I only ended up with a mark, and 3/4 the size of a grain of rice. Thought I was going to have to have the door resprayed, from the hinge on the garage door.

Does anyone know how many keys you can have programmed to the Q5? Is it possible to add a third key?
Old 04-27-2018, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I posted this on another thread It really works and protects your pocket lining from other keys. Put the Q5 fob on a second ring and it will lay flat in the case, separate from your other keys. If you can afford an SQ5, the $50 is not a burden.

It's the leather Mini Skinny in the
Coach.com ladies section, but in this color it works for me - the best way to carry keys and a key fob in one's pocket. The Audi fob fits just fine. $50, but on sale every once in a while, worth every penny even at full price.

Last edited by patmurphey; 04-27-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pat: lol - you expect us dudes to use a purse for our keys? Not gonna happen..... no matter how functional/practical, esp a Coach one from the 'ladies' section.
The following users liked this post:
Sugar Ray Rob (03-31-2020)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Your loss, it's just a leather key case, You don't have to get the pink one.

It's the best of many versions I've used before. Leather cases used to come with Porsche keys, but those were too small for today's fobs.

(It sure beats opening a garage door to find it stuck on an open and likely damaged tailgate.)

Quick Reply: Mystery! 2018 SQ5 tailgate opening by itself