A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Do any ipods work with this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do any ipods work with this thing?

Neither of my ipods (a nano and a touch) will connect to the MMI. Both get the 'not supported' message. I find it crazy that any ipod wouldn't work with this system.

I've read conflicting reports from searching through older threads on this topic on whether it's just older ipods that don't work or if none of them will work at all.

I'm not really interested in SD cards because of lack of gapless playback, having to potentially edit thousands of album art and other headaches.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm using 6th generation iPod touches (32 & 64 GB) in each of my cars (17 Q7 & 18 Q5) & they work fine (also worked in my previous 17 A4). I do know that the current MMI can be very picky - lots of people say they can't get their device to be recognized. Nanos definitely won't work.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash Boss
Neither of my ipods (a nano and a touch) will connect to the MMI. Both get the 'not supported' message. I find it crazy that any ipod wouldn't work with this system.

I've read conflicting reports from searching through older threads on this topic on whether it's just older ipods that don't work or if none of them will work at all.

I'm not really interested in SD cards because of lack of gapless playback, having to potentially edit thousands of album art and other headaches.
I have a 160 Gb iPod, the very last generation, and it works OK. I had problems navigating playlists and other headaches. So I gave up. I just use my iPhone through CarPlay, SD cards, and the JukeBox. If I want "gapless playback" where it is important, say, SMiLE or the B-side of Abbey Road, I just rip the songs fused together.

If you really want to use the iPod, you could just connect the headphone jack to the Aux In jack and play it that way.

I wish the iPod worked better with the MMI, but I don't think it is entirely reasonable to expect a car built in 2017 to be backwards-compatible for a music player that was designed about 10 years earlier...
Old 05-04-2018, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have the late 2009 160 Gb iPod Classic, software version 2.05. It works perfectly with the MMI plugged into the outlet under the armrest, including showing playlists (which I can't duplicate with an SD card). I mostly listen to classical music - instrumental and vocal- and the sound is excellent.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash Boss

I have to amend my previous reply--my iPod (last generation 160Gb iPod Classic, software v.2.05) does not work with the MMI on my A4 sedan (firmware version 0918). It says "not recognized", even when I use a proper Apple cable. I was confused with my prior VW Jetta Wagon. But I can still use the "Aux In" from the headphone jack...
Old 10-03-2018, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Bumping this thread to see if there's any new information. I've given up on using my ipod classic in the car. (Yes, I know Aux In will always work.)

Has anyone gotten an ipod touch to work perfectly with this car? By "perfectly" I mean not just playing music but also diving into artist and album lists, playlists, skipping songs within the album, all through the MMI.

I bought a used 6th gen 128GB ipod touch, hoping it would work, since it's still a current Apple product and therefore Audi should support it, in theory... or so I would have thought.
I currently have a small set of music (~10 artists and 1000 songs) loaded on the ipod. The ipod is connected to the car via an iphone USB cable. When I select and play songs on the ipod itself, the songs play in the car's system and the "now playing" screen appears as expected. The problem is navigating into Artists and Albums via the MMI. The system appears to be sometimes unaware of the song list for albums. In other words I can go into the album and see the song list but then once I play a song, I can't scroll, or skip fwd or back to other songs. When the current song ends, the next song on the album will play but the MMI screen stays stuck on the previous song. (I guess it's unsurprising the audio itself continues, assuming the ipod is just feeding analog audio to the stereo through the USB cable.) Meanwhile, the MMI will work fine with some other albums. Very frustrating. I have no guess about why it indexes some albums correctly and others not. The ipod is updated to iOS 12. The MMI version info shows software version 1178. I've reset the MMI settings and rebooted it.

Any suggestions? I would really like to be able keep my music on an apple device (because Im used to managing it with itunes) and control it with the MMI because, well, I paid for it and it can't just be a glorified radio station tuner!

Meanwhile, the Harman system in a BMW 3 series that I looked at made friends with my ipod classic in seconds. Sigh...

Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; 10-03-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

ipod nano 5th and 7th both work for me.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by munsabin
ipod nano 5th and 7th both work for me.
That's interesting. A couple ppl earlier in the thread found their nano's did not work.

So, everything just works perfectly for you? menus and lists (artist, albums, songs etc), skipping fwd/back, scrolling songs, repeating modes, album art...all the regular ipod menu functions work in the MMI? If yes then, damn, what the hell am I doing wrong.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
That's interesting. A couple ppl earlier in the thread found their nano's did not work.

So, everything just works perfectly for you? menus and lists (artist, albums, songs etc), skipping fwd/back, scrolling songs, repeating modes, album art...all the regular ipod menu functions work in the MMI? If yes then, damn, what the hell am I doing wrong.
I agree - people have been having issues and I consider myself lucky from this point of view. No issues with phone, ipods, etc.

For the iPod Nano 5th Gen - I can confirm yes - everything is working properly 99.99% of the time. There are minor bugs like randomly once in a blue moon when i get into the car it doesn't save what I was previously playing and I've had it freeze on me 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years, but that's all.

For the IPid Nano 7th Gen - I can confirm music is playing. I only plugged it in quickly once to test connection socket worked but it's what I use for running not the car. I will try it out and see what I get.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
Bumping this thread to see if there's any new information. I've given up on using my ipod classic in the car. (Yes, I know Aux In will always work.)

Has anyone gotten an ipod touch to work perfectly with this car? By "perfectly" I mean not just playing music but also diving into artist and album lists, playlists, skipping songs within the album, all through the MMI.

I bought a used 6th gen 128GB ipod touch, hoping it would work, since it's still a current Apple product and therefore Audi should support it, in theory... or so I would have thought.
I currently have a small set of music (~10 artists and 1000 songs) loaded on the ipod. The ipod is connected to the car via an iphone USB cable. When I select and play songs on the ipod itself, the songs play in the car's system and the "now playing" screen appears as expected. The problem is navigating into Artists and Albums via the MMI. The system appears to be sometimes unaware of the song list for albums. In other words I can go into the album and see the song list but then once I play a song, I can't scroll, or skip fwd or back to other songs. When the current song ends, the next song on the album will play but the MMI screen stays stuck on the previous song. (I guess it's unsurprising the audio itself continues, assuming the ipod is just feeding analog audio to the stereo through the USB cable.) Meanwhile, the MMI will work fine with some other albums. Very frustrating. I have no guess about why it indexes some albums correctly and others not. The ipod is updated to iOS 12. The MMI version info shows software version 1178. I've reset the MMI settings and rebooted it.

Any suggestions? I would really like to be able keep my music on an apple device (because Im used to managing it with itunes) and control it with the MMI because, well, I paid for it and it can't just be a glorified radio station tuner!

Meanwhile, the Harman system in a BMW 3 series that I looked at made friends with my ipod classic in seconds. Sigh...
I want to give my two cents, I use a 6th generation Ipod touch exclusively for music. I have no issues with sound quality, it sounds very good. I have the B&O system. I can see album art and display info just fine. One thing it doesn't show is what song is next, when I scroll down on the MMI it just shows the current song. When I try to skip a song, it takes a good 20-30 seconds before it skips to the next song, and even then it displays the previous songs info for about 2 minutes or so. Granted I don't think this is all Audi's fault, I had an Acura before the Audi and it played flawlessly until IOS 11. Once IOS 11 came out I started having the same issues with the Acura. For instance, it wouldn't show album art which I know is in the metadata. Even the Audi has some issue with this, I think when it has an issue it pulls the album art from Gracenote and most of the time that is fine. Occasionally, I will get album artwork totally different than the album that is playing. My theory is, the ipod touch is still based off the iphone 5 platform and it just doesn't have the processing speed for IOS 11 and above. I would be frustrated if I skipped songs often but I usually just listen to what is on the iPod. FWIW I had a Q5 loaner without the B&O system and it seemed to handle the iPod much better. I could see the next song on the list, the album art was much more responsive, but still had issues nonetheless.

Quick Reply: Do any ipods work with this thing?