Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough

This has been probably discussed at length but I have had it with the hesitant transmission. My car is brand new and it is a fantastic in every way except for this. Usual issues reported by most , hesitant at junctions and other acceleration situations. It is now in my opinion dangerous. Dynamic mode seems to cure it. If I new this before i paid £50k then I would not have bought it.
Anyway it is booked into my local dealership in 3 weeks- this is the soonest they could take me.
Is everyone else living with this issue or maybe it is worse on some cars than others. I would be interested in hearing others views.
Ron
Old 05-02-2018, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

guess it all depends on the beholder

I've driven countless sportbacks, S4's, all with this transmission. The car does what is asked. Throttle response is better in Dynamic, by design, but even on daily commutes, I tend to leave it in auto, and it does just fine. Mixed use between city stop and go to open rural roads on my way home. YMMV
Old 05-02-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

for me this is the key point. .the car does NOT do what is asked, ask for acceleration and it hesitates , then picks up. I really should not be even thinking about this whilst driving, its ruining the car for me
Old 05-02-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

always best to have it looked at then.

Did you drive the car before purchasing? Your specific car, or just an example of one?
Old 05-02-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It was new so never drove it, i'm hoping there is a software fix unless there is something more serious wrong
Old 05-02-2018, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmr2
It was new so never drove it, i'm hoping there is a software fix unless there is something more serious wrong
Pretty sure there's a software update, at least on the Continent, that cures that lag and transforms the car. Not sure if the UK qualifies for "fix", but think I read of a couple owners getting the update via connections with their dealer.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I totally agree, the throttle lag kills the car, I would not have bought mine either if I had known it was this bad in D mode. You should not have to be in S mode to get the throttle hesitation out of the car in a $65,000 car. I keep waiting for a software fix here in the States. Told my dealer about it at 10,000 mile checkup and they told me to stick it in S mode. They totally don't get it that it should not be that way.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Have you tried moving the shift lever backward from D? You toggle the lever to Sport mode and back to D by pulling back again. Give it a spin in Sport mode and you should find a big difference in throttle response.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh oh. I hope the one or two Audi pro-lag fanboys don't accuse you guys of being alts of mine. One of the pro throttle lag guys on here told me that I've "only" driven my car for a 1,000 miles and it's still "learning". Lol, none of my other cars had to learn how to correctly respond to gas pedal input.

Completely agree with you guys. Some of us have learned to live with it, but that's not acceptable. The fact that the car defaults to D mode on restart and you can't even leave it in S mode, makes this even more egregious.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiefan11
Have you tried moving the shift lever backward from D? You toggle the lever to Sport mode and back to D by pulling back again. Give it a spin in Sport mode and you should find a big difference in throttle response.
You rev higher in S mode at idle. It disables auto start stop. Worse mpgs. Worse for a car after cold start. Plus it defaults to D mode with you restart the car. This is not a real solution. Love the car otherwise, but this will be my last Audi because of this.

Quick Reply: S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough