Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Ideas for some cosmetic mods on Daytona Grey Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for some cosmetic mods on Daytona Grey Coupe

Hi all,

I am selling my White 2012 B8 and picking up my new A5 coupe in Daytona Grey this Wednesday.
I had blacked out ALL of the chrome on my white B8 to give it a black and white look and I was going to do the same for the Daytona grey but since the grey is a darker colour and the contrast won't be that much, I'm rethinking it and am wondering if it would look as good as on the white.

If you were me, would you black out the chrome around the windows, the grills, and the emblems or leave it as is?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 05-11-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think that black-out stuff on a darker color would still look nice. I think it looks sleek.

I'm thinking of doing it on my Navarra Blue
Old 05-11-2018, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm getting 20% tints. I was thinking of leaving the window trims and the front grill frame as chrome but black out the horizontal vents on the grill as well as any silver details on the front and back bumper. It will make it look more like RS5 (my dream car).
- Darken the edges of the headlights.
- black out the side mirrors
- add a black horizontal stripe on the bottom of the doors.

Chris, post some pictures after you're done with your Navarra blue
Old 05-11-2018, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Moojan N
I'm getting 20% tints. I was thinking of leaving the window trims and the front grill frame as chrome but black out the horizontal vents on the grill as well as any silver details on the front and back bumper. It will make it look more like RS5 (my dream car).
- Darken the edges of the headlights.
- black out the side mirrors
- add a black horizontal stripe on the bottom of the doors.

Chris, post some pictures after you're done with your Navarra blue
Yeah, I'll be doing tinting too. I'm going to do 35% all around (the darkest allowed here) and a full front Xpel (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors). Other than doing some gloss black rings, badges/emblems, I'm not sure what else I'll do. I'm not one for doing a whole bunch of stuff to my car. But I'll definitely have before, during, and after pictures!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2018 RS5 Coupe in Daytona Gray Pearl has the Black Optics package, which saved me from mods I did to my Monsoon Gray 2013 A7: Black cabin lining, blacked out badges (side, rings on front & rear), exhaust tips, wheels and grille. With the RS5, I tinted windows to 30% (our state limit is 35, but this gets you a bit darker and not enough of a diff to attract police attention). I bought (Tag Motorsports) black rings and a black/red "RS-5" badge for the trunk. These now look like part of the OEM B.O. Package. I also used a high heat resistant flat black exhaust paint to paint both muffler housings black. This renders them invisible from the rear, rather than having 2 grey cow udders hanging below the level of the rear diffuser. Keeping the 20 inch trapezoid, AudiSport wheels. Once you get them, there is quite a bit of detail that differentiates them from "Toyota"....especially with the red calipers. Only additional work will be to wrap the rest of the roof behind sunroof in gloss black vinyl to make the roof uniformly black, flowing from front windshield to roof into rear window.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

50% tint s best
Old 05-16-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BashAudi
50% tint s best
50% may have been what came standard on the front 2 windows, but clearly was waaay lighter than the back 2 windows. I hate that mismatch. I wanted a uniform tint all the way around-both side windows & rear windshield. I've had 20%-25% and it's too dark at night and attracts law enforcement attention. 35% which is the technical limit for my state was ok, but the 30% ceramic was a perfect look on the exterior and not too dark at night and not so much darker as to attract police attention.

50% is next to nothing. In summer, if parked outside, you'd have a beastly hot car to get into. Couple that with the lack of an air cooled ventilated seat option, and a pourous sunroof cover (not a solid panel) makes me want to tint down to a minimum of 30%. It's a good look for what I wanted.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I dunno...

I for one like the blend of grey and chrome on my Daytona Grey Sportsback, and especially like it with the 19" grey wheels. I even passed on the red calipers, which are $500 extra in Canada. Not that I have a problem with black optics or even the red calipers.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
I for one like the blend of grey and chrome on my Daytona Grey Sportsback, and especially like it with the 19" grey wheels. I even passed on the red calipers, which are $500 extra in Canada. Not that I have a problem with black optics or even the red calipers.
It's all what you like. I would have loved to have had the opportunity for an option to have the 19s for the smoother ride. Unfortunately, our local guys are getting 1/month, and have a wait list. Can't be picky or you'll never get one. I've never been a chrome guy, but that's just personal preference, and no right or wrong. In the US, the Black Optic Package was very reasonably priced at $1500 USD. Included the gloss black trim, which in my opinion, on the 2018 RS5 MAKES the front end. The side sills and black rear diffuser with black exhaust pipes, along with black glass fixed wing above trunk, blacked out cabin trim, Daytona Gray mirror housings PLUS the 20' forged, anthracite trapezoid wheels was a great option package. The Dynamic Package ($3350) got the red calipers, sport exhaust and most importantly, the RS Sport suspension with Dynamic Ride Control....BEAST MODE!

I'm just from the school of "stealthing down" a car as much as possible, and thats included complete debadging, 25% tint, blacked out BBS wheels, black Audi rings, a blacked out grille (all on my 2013 A7) and black exhaust tips.

Lastly, this black Audi cabin trim is not a rubberized, matte finish, but a hard, gloss, smooth, tight finish. No seams show. my preference over chrome in a heartbeat.
The following users liked this post:
Raycing (06-24-2021)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Moojan N
Hi all,

I am selling my White 2012 B8 and picking up my new A5 coupe in Daytona Grey this Wednesday.
I had blacked out ALL of the chrome on my white B8 to give it a black and white look and I was going to do the same for the Daytona grey but since the grey is a darker colour and the contrast won't be that much, I'm rethinking it and am wondering if it would look as good as on the white.

If you were me, would you black out the chrome around the windows, the grills, and the emblems or leave it as is?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers
I don't believe in Black optics (so something like it) on dark colors. While it would be noticeable in light color, Black optics just get lost on dark colors. I believe that dark color needs a bit of sparkles to make it shine so I scrapped my initial plans to blackout/carbon fiber my Nivarra Blue.

Quick Reply: Ideas for some cosmetic mods on Daytona Grey Coupe