Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dilemma - 2018 Q7 3.0 or BMW X5 Diesel ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma - 2018 Q7 3.0 or BMW X5 Diesel ?

I'm shopping both vehicles comparably equipped and I'm curious about the prevailing Q7 issues with squealing brakes and abnormal passenger side outside edge tire wear and electrical gremlins.
How prevalent are these problems?
I would like to get some input from Q7 owners regarding these reported issues.
Realizing that sometimes complaints can be amplified by those owners experiencing these problems, I have become a bit gun shy in choosing the Q7 but this may be unfounded.
I question whether these problems are being experienced by a majority of Q7 owners and would appreciate their feedback. From reviewing the threads about brake squeal, it seems to be a universal concern.
Is there a suspected suspension design issue leading to abnormal tire wear?
Are the operating system glitches widespread or merely isolated?
I have driven both vehicles and have observed that the X5 steering is incredibly numb with poor on center feel with difficulty maintaining a straight line without multiple steering corrections.
The in line diesel six is appealing due to its MPG. I realize that the X5 will be replaced by their next generation 'G05' this fall.
I liked the Q7 steering feel much better. The Q7 reflects superior interior design and finish and a better AWD system.
I will test drive them again back to back to help my decision.
I would appreciate owner feedback and thank you for your guidance!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, problems are always more amplified here. Many of us dont have the same issues, but these are concerning nonetheless. However, I'm sure on the X5 board you'll find some issues as well. I think the current X5 drives very well and i I would have bought it except as you state, its going to change soon. If you're not sure, wait until the new X5 comes out. I'm sure the interior will be nicer than the current one.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Yes, problems are always more amplified here. Many of us dont have the same issues, but these are concerning nonetheless. However, I'm sure on the X5 board you'll find some issues as well. I think the current X5 drives very well and i I would have bought it except as you state, its going to change soon. If you're not sure, wait until the new X5 comes out. I'm sure the interior will be nicer than the current one.
Yes, thanks!
I am considering a punt because of that exact reason, maybe if they improve their steering in the G05 (Doubtful) it would make my choice more difficult.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, a forum is a great place to post if you have issues. So most of the posts here are seeking help for issues, so it can skew the overall atmosphere of the forum.

We've been fortunate to not have a lot of the issues people are having. Nothing noticeable on the tire wear, had the brakes squeal once after it rained and it was outside, and nothing really in the way of electric gremlins.

One tool I used when looking for cars last November was Consumer Reports reviews on luxury SUVs. The Q7 was at the top with features and the overall review and reliability was also strong. Car and Driver also had the Q7 as the 10Best pick a month or two ago.

So these all hold the same value, the good and the bad, and a lot of it is luck. But the numbers show that the car is a pretty reliable car, based on the MY2017 Q7, and I hope that continues for the 2018s most of us here have.

As far as comparing to the X5, the X5 was not in the mix of our potential car to buy, so I can't speak to that. It was a GLE, Lexus GX or RX, or the Q7 for us. The Q7 just drove and felt more solid than the others and the exterior styling blew the others out the water. But that's also a subjective thing.

Keep an eye out for recalls and reliability and satisfaction surveys on the Q7. I haven't seen a whole lot for the 2018 models at this point, but probably some time this summer we might get a better idea.

I know the Q5 is one of Audis most reliable models but I'm not sure if the Q5 is the size that you specifically are looking for.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Kruszewski
I'm shopping both vehicles comparably equipped and I'm curious about the prevailing Q7 issues with squealing brakes and abnormal passenger side outside edge tire wear and electrical gremlins.
How prevalent are these problems?
I would like to get some input from Q7 owners regarding these reported issues.
Realizing that sometimes complaints can be amplified by those owners experiencing these problems, I have become a bit gun shy in choosing the Q7 but this may be unfounded.
I question whether these problems are being experienced by a majority of Q7 owners and would appreciate their feedback. From reviewing the threads about brake squeal, it seems to be a universal concern.
Is there a suspected suspension design issue leading to abnormal tire wear?
Are the operating system glitches widespread or merely isolated?
I have driven both vehicles and have observed that the X5 steering is incredibly numb with poor on center feel with difficulty maintaining a straight line without multiple steering corrections.
The in line diesel six is appealing due to its MPG. I realize that the X5 will be replaced by their next generation 'G05' this fall.
I liked the Q7 steering feel much better. The Q7 reflects superior interior design and finish and a better AWD system.
I will test drive them again back to back to help my decision.
I would appreciate owner feedback and thank you for your guidance!
you're looking at these issues on 17's or 18's?

Do you have any need for the 3rd row? If so, clear winner there - not to mention, the X5 is an aged duck
Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by smacky
Well, a forum is a great place to post if you have issues. So most of the posts here are seeking help for issues, so it can skew the overall atmosphere of the forum.

We've been fortunate to not have a lot of the issues people are having. Nothing noticeable on the tire wear, had the brakes squeal once after it rained and it was outside, and nothing really in the way of electric gremlins.

One tool I used when looking for cars last November was Consumer Reports reviews on luxury SUVs. The Q7 was at the top with features and the overall review and reliability was also strong. Car and Driver also had the Q7 as the 10Best pick a month or two ago.

So these all hold the same value, the good and the bad, and a lot of it is luck. But the numbers show that the car is a pretty reliable car, based on the MY2017 Q7, and I hope that continues for the 2018s most of us here have.

As far as comparing to the X5, the X5 was not in the mix of our potential car to buy, so I can't speak to that. It was a GLE, Lexus GX or RX, or the Q7 for us. The Q7 just drove and felt more solid than the others and the exterior styling blew the others out the water. But that's also a subjective thing.

Keep an eye out for recalls and reliability and satisfaction surveys on the Q7. I haven't seen a whole lot for the 2018 models at this point, but probably some time this summer we miaght get a better idea.

I know the Q5 is one of Audis most reliable models but I'm not sure if the Q5 is the size that you specifically are looking for.
I also like Q5 but the Q7 seems more comfortable in the driver's seat!
A second test drive of the Q5 is in order.
Thank you!
Old 05-17-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
you're looking at these issues on 17's or 18's?

Do you have any need for the 3rd row? If so, clear winner there - not to mention, the X5 is an aged duck
No use for 3rd row.
Cockpit comfort is the key.
Are 17s more prone to the issues?
Definitely in the market for an 18 MY.
Thanks!
Quack!
Old 05-17-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My impression of the Q7 issues are there are small amount of them that are lemon worthy nightmares (not sure if its any better or worse than any other car/brand) and then a large amount of 'eyeroll' gremlins that will be mildly frustrating but generally easy to move past and won't bother the majority of users too much (often electrical issues, often fixed with an MMI reset or just an understanding there are some minor random quirks, the other common complaint is lack of storage/sun glasses holder) . I've had a few of those myself, otherwise its been great.

I think the brake issue is pretty common and if I lived in a colder climate I'm not sure I'd tolerate it, but if it bothers you that much just putting aftermarket brakes on is not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, if the Q7 was a grand more would you still buy it? You may even be able to negotiate something with the dealer at the time of sale, idk. You certainly shouldn't have to, but if you like the car significantly better...
Old 05-17-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Brimstone
My impression of the Q7 issues are there are small amount of them that are lemon worthy nightmares (not sure if its any better or worse than any other car/brand) and then a large amount of 'eyeroll' gremlins that will be mildly frustrating but generally easy to move past and won't bother the majority of users too much (often electrical issues, often fixed with an MMI reset or just an understanding there are some minor random quirks, the other common complaint is lack of storage/sun glasses holder) . I've had a few of those myself, otherwise its been great.

I think the brake issue is pretty common and if I lived in a colder climate I'm not sure I'd tolerate it, but if it bothers you that much just putting aftermarket brakes on is not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, if the Q7 was a grand more would you still buy it? You may even be able to negotiate something with the dealer at the time of sale, idk. You certainly shouldn't have to, but if you like the car significantly better...
I don't think the brake issue is that common actually. I can see that it would be annoying but this forum is an echo chamber and a relatively small number of posters make a lot of noise about this.

Last edited by NABS4; 05-17-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Kruszewski
Yes, thanks!
I am considering a punt because of that exact reason, maybe if they improve their steering in the G05 (Doubtful) it would make my choice more difficult.
Well, if you ever drove the first gen X5, you know why they changed the steering "feel". Most previous gen BMWs had heavy steering with feedback. The X5 is marketed as a family hauler, mostly driven by moms, so they had to numb the steering wheel and make it easy to turn. I dont think its that different from the Q's feel, but the X5 certainly handles the best.

Quick Reply: Dilemma - 2018 Q7 3.0 or BMW X5 Diesel ?