Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Doors locking and unlocking when washing car

Old 05-17-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Doors locking and unlocking when washing car

When I'm at my shop, I throw my keys in a metal toolbox, and I have no issues. When in my house garage, I don't have a convenient place to place the keys to prevent the car from sensing it.

After a brief internet / forum search, sounds like some have had success leaving the keys in the car. I tried that tonight (left them in the center console), and with every door handle I washed and then later dried, lock, chirp, unlock and so on.

Curious what everyone else does when washing their vehicle, as I am hoping there is a simple solution other than buying a metal box just for my garage so I can wash my car.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

just leave them in the house....
Old 05-17-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I had my rear on some ramps today and was checking the underside of the car. I must have triggered the foot sensor and all of a sudden the hatch started to open. I was like **** it's going to hit my garage door. I was able to get up fast enough to stop the hatch from opening any further. Lesson learned, I will leave my keys far away from the car when doing stuff like that.

Sometimes I hate technologies.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
just leave them in the house....
Yeah, this.

My S4 did the same thing. I just had to put the keys far enough away that I couldn't trigger the lock/unlock.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:06 PM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

you could get a faraday bag off amazon and put your key in there.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I leave the key in the garage when I wash the car in the driveway and it solves the problem. I never forget to put the key back in my pocket because the car will not start to move it back into the garage when done. I have had a time or two when I got back in the car after the wash to move it back into the garage and had the "you forgot the key, stupid" after hitting the start button.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
Yeah, this.

My S4 did the same thing. I just had to put the keys far enough away that I couldn't trigger the lock/unlock.
Same here. My Jeep SRT does the same thing as my S6 if I have the keys nearby. The water tricks the sensors that your hand is near the handle to auto-unlock because the FOB is also nearby.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I just let the car keep locking and unlocking. I really don't see why it matters. I just make sure I lock it when finished.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I just let the car keep locking and unlocking. I really don't see why it matters. I just make sure I lock it when finished.
I used to do that until I had the trunk open when I was cleaning the rear bumper because the kick sensor in the rear bumper thought I was asking it to open the trunk hands free.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

This issue is completely solved by keeping the keyfob in the cupholder while washing. Or, if you need the car to remain locked while washing, in the house as others have said.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doors locking and unlocking when washing car