Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Econ button stuck in "On" mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Econ button stuck in "On" mode

Hi! I recently bought a 2007 Audi Q7. I live in Minnesota and bought it in the dead of Winter. When we tested the A/C, it seemed to be working fine, but looking back, that might have been more to do with the ambient temperature. With the rising temperature, I recently tried to put on the A/C. Set the temp setting to "Low" and had the fans at full speed. But it was only blowing hot air. I also noticed that the Econ light was constantly engaged. On occasion, I would press it, and it would turn Off for just a second, before switching back to On mode. Took the car to the dealership and they said I had a leak in my system. They recharged the system with Freon but still no cold air. They quoted me $2,300 to fix the leak. However, they never tested the compressor to see if it was functioning correctly because they said I would need to fix the leak first. I did not have the repairs done. At home bought a kit that tests the Freon pressure, and it was right within the specified limits. So it seems that there is Freon in the system. The Econ bought still stay in the On position and I am hoping to see if people had any other ideas on why it won't disengage. Any thoughts.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just bought a 2005 A4 and have this same issue.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A possible fix!

Originally Posted by denniskinuthia
Hi! I recently bought a 2007 Audi Q7. I live in Minnesota and bought it in the dead of Winter. When we tested the A/C, it seemed to be working fine, but looking back, that might have been more to do with the ambient temperature. With the rising temperature, I recently tried to put on the A/C. Set the temp setting to "Low" and had the fans at full speed. But it was only blowing hot air. I also noticed that the Econ light was constantly engaged. On occasion, I would press it, and it would turn Off for just a second, before switching back to On mode. Took the car to the dealership and they said I had a leak in my system. They recharged the system with Freon but still no cold air. They quoted me $2,300 to fix the leak. However, they never tested the compressor to see if it was functioning correctly because they said I would need to fix the leak first. I did not have the repairs done. At home bought a kit that tests the Freon pressure, and it was right within the specified limits. So it seems that there is Freon in the system. The Econ bought still stay in the On position and I am hoping to see if people had any other ideas on why it won't disengage. Any thoughts.

After reading this, I wonder if the fix might be as simple as checking the settings in the MMI area. I know in my 2008, where I can adjust the fan and temp for the quad areas, you can tell system to always remain in ECON mode. I'd at least suggest you check that out.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Having some pressure when the compressor is not riecessarily a guarantee that refrigerant is not low. Low side pressure will drop when the compressor runs. There is a low pressure switch in that side that then stops the compressor to protect it. Still sounds like s leak to me. Did they say where? The most likely place is the condenser coil in front of the radiator but it could be anywhere.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@denniskinuthia Did you pay the $2300 and fix the leak? My 2008 Audi is having a similar issue, the ECON button stays on, not producing any A/C, my engine is super loud when I drive it and when I turn it off, it sounds like a jet is shutting down. any thoughts? ideas?