Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2 days Driving exclusively in manual...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2 days Driving exclusively in manual...

I have been driving my coupè in manual and I’m really liking it. (It also reminds me of my old days before moving to US where almost every car is automatic) I feel more “engaged” and the car reacts more promptly when in D...
A couple of minor caveats for me thou: instinctively I look to do the reverse of what Audi designed with regard to the gearshifter, I tend to push it forward when I want to down shift and and back when I want to upshift, I’ll get used to it eventually... But those paddle-shifters!!!!!!! wish they were much less flimsy than what they are! This car deserves better! I’m thinking to replace them with a Carbon fiber variety and I wonder if there is a proven replacement out there that you can vouch for.

Last edited by Abtpl; 05-19-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a pair of extenders that I like a lot from winnautosports https://winnautosports.com/.

Dont mind the silly color strip things, you can just leave them off and the paddle extensions look great
Old 05-19-2018, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I have a pair of extenders that I like a lot from winnautosports https://winnautosports.com/.

Dont mind the silly color strip things, you can just leave them off and the paddle extensions look great
They snap on? How secure are they? Any pics?
Old 05-19-2018, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig

They snap on? How secure are they? Any pics?
They attach via a pretty ingenious screw clamping system. They dont damage the stock paddle and are very secure.

https://winnautosports.com/shop/axmo...-shiftpaddles/

Last edited by ArvX147; 05-19-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

thank you very much. Sounds promising, I’ll take a look at it.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Im thinking to get the "silly" red one... my car has red-leather interior. Is red that what you have?

Last edited by Abtpl; 05-19-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got my S5 this week, my jaw is still on the floor

I had an S4 back in the day with paddle shifters and I had a couple of horrific experiences where I was going 60+ mph and I somehow accidentally downshifted and it was just a scary unexpected break, I was super lucky nobody was behind me. Since then I've been staying away from them.

I imagine it's just something you have to get used to, but I was curious if they've made improvements with the B9 that were a little more forgiving with these types of slips.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Abtpl
Im thinking to get the "silly" red one... my car has red-leather interior. Is red that what you have?
I have black because i wanted them to be subtle, but I wanst talking about paddle color, they come with these silicone color strips.

I think on a red interior car the red anodized would look good.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kaeden
Just got my S5 this week, my jaw is still on the floor

I had an S4 back in the day with paddle shifters and I had a couple of horrific experiences where I was going 60+ mph and I somehow accidentally downshifted and it was just a scary unexpected break, I was super lucky nobody was behind me. Since then I've been staying away from them.

I imagine it's just something you have to get used to, but I was curious if they've made improvements with the B9 that were a little more forgiving with these types of slips.
Well, the ZF 8 is a torque converter car so it doesnt engine brake as aggressively as the DSG from the last gen
Old 05-19-2018, 07:33 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

In my experience driving cars with paddle shifters, the paddle shifters should be attached to the steering column and not the steering wheel. That way you always know where they are as they are not moving with the steering wheel - rather they are always at 9 & 3 O’Clock.

Does Audi attach them to the column or the wheel - keep in mind, I’m still waiting on my S5 Coupe.

Last edited by Nikon1; 05-19-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 2 days Driving exclusively in manual...