Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Considering a new S3 and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a new S3 and have some questions

Hi everyone,

I hadn't been considering the S3 until now, other cars I have been looking at were the Alfa Romeo Giulia, Jaguar XE (35) and maybe the Genesis G70 if I can wait. But I didn't knopw the S3 MSRP started at 43k. I drove a 2017 S5 and loved it but didn't get that car after I saw an accident on the carfax and scratches all over... had me cross that off the list and only look at new cars.

some questions:

I like the yellow color, but do you think that will hurt resale? apparently it used to be a $3500 exclusive color lol
can I get 10-15% off MSRP for a 2018 model this fall? what if I build one (how does that work)? I would be going for a base P+ with no options except for all season tires. I would love to get one for under $40k(before tax) which would be around 10% off MSRP.

warranty is 4 years - after 3.5 years or so, do I have option to extend? wish Audi did the same as VW with their 6 year... isn't the golf R the same engine? I don't like hatchback design though.

wheels and tires - do you recommend me to get a wheel and tire warranty? that is a concern for me since NJ roads suck and the highest profile I can see is 40-series tires. I see Audi has their own but has the clause saying the tire must not hold air or whatever for a wheel to get fixed. I'm worried about potholes either bubbling the tires and cracking/bending wheels - if they hold air that seems it wouldn't even be covered.

thanks for the help. If there is any additional advice you can give I'm all ears
Old 05-19-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

cant find an edit button - also should I get Audi Care? how is the maintenance like?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Buy the S3. You will love it

Last edited by uniqueMR; 05-20-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Considering

btw I made a post in the old A3/S3 section so can someone delete that other one? can't figure out how

Hi everyone,

I hadn't been considering the S3 until now, other cars I have been looking at were the Alfa Romeo Giulia, Jaguar XE (35) and maybe the Genesis G70 if I can wait. But I didn't knopw the S3 MSRP started at 43k. I drove a 2017 S5 and loved it but didn't get that car after I saw an accident on the carfax and scratches all over... had me cross that off the list and only look at new cars.

some questions:

I like the yellow color, but do you think that will hurt resale? apparently it used to be a $3500 exclusive color lol
can I get 10-15% off MSRP for a 2018 model this fall? what if I build one (how does that work)? I would be going for a base P+ with no options except for all season tires. I would love to get one for under $40k(before tax) which would be around 10% off MSRP.

warranty is 4 years - after 3.5 years or so, do I have option to extend? wish Audi did the same as VW with their 6 year... isn't the golf R the same engine? I don't like hatchback design though.

wheels and tires - do you recommend me to get a wheel and tire warranty? that is a concern for me since NJ roads suck and the highest profile I can see is 40-series tires. I see Audi has their own but has the clause saying the tire must not hold air or whatever for a wheel to get fixed. I'm worried about potholes either bubbling the tires and cracking/bending wheels - if they hold air that seems it wouldn't even be covered.

thanks for the help. If there is any additional advice you can give I'm all ears.

Also should I get Audi Care? does that include ALL maintenance for certain period or just oil changes/filter changes?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if you lease, pick whatever color you like. If you are buying and plan to resell, yeah, its going to take a value hit to pick anything but the most popular colors.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kittens
...isn't the golf R the same engine? I don't like hatchback design though.
Yes they share the same engine. For some reason, Americans do not like hatchbacks. That's why the Golf is the only one. I prefer the sportback over the sedan but this is definitely a personal preference.

Good luck
Old 05-20-2018, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will try to help with your questions. I have a 17 S3.

Yellow will definitely hurt resale, especially if you try to trade it in after. I believe the colors that offer the best resale are white and silver.

If you buy one of the leftover 18's when the 19's come out, I'm sure you can get between 10-15% off easily. I bought the last 17 on my dealer's lot in October of 2017 and got almost 17% off. Of course the negative with this is that you'll be limited in color/option choices. I think you may have trouble getting a base model at the end of the year because there aren't a lot out there to begin with. I would highly recommend at least getting the tech package that includes the virtual cockpit. Very cool option that is only available to from 2017 on.

If the car is within the warranty period, usually you should be able to extend it with audi no problem.

The wheel and tire protection is just like other insurance. Good for peace of mind. I think with the cost of OEM equipment you would come out ahead even if you just have one wheel/tire replaced.

I would definitely try to get Audicare. It includes the first four services. I believe one of the services includes a DSG fluid change, which costs almost as much on its own as the entire cost of Audicare. Try to negotiate a discount by getting the dealer to include it in the cost of the car.

Last edited by chiahal; 05-20-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for the posts everyone! I am starting to seriously look within the next few months and will probably try and find one on the lot. I see the residuals on the S3 are so bad the S4 leases for a similar price..I wish yellow didn't hurt resale lol I like the color. maybe ill go with a bright blue.

btw has anyone heard of this -

Sound Enhancing Resonator Delete Kit (MSRP $350)

found on this car https://www.dchmillburnaudi.com/new/...f377c89b16.htm
Old 05-21-2018, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for the posts everyone! I am starting to seriously look within the next few months and will probably try and find one on the lot. I see the residuals on the S3 are so bad the S4 leases for a similar price..I wish yellow didn't hurt resale lol I like the color. maybe ill go with a bright blue.

btw has anyone heard of this -

Sound Enhancing Resonator Delete Kit (MSRP $350)

found on this car https://www.dchmillburnaudi.com/new/...f377c89b16.htm
Yes, its resonator delete. Its essential to have it deleted on car. Makes the car louder and fun
Old 05-21-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wish yellow didn't hurt resale lol I like the color. maybe ill go with a bright blue.
It doesn't. It just limits your resale market. Many will pay a premium for the wild color cars. Get the yellow if you like it. I did.

Quick Reply: Considering a new S3 and have some questions