Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Speedometer reads 2-3 MPH faster than actual

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer reads 2-3 MPH faster than actual

I'm driving an S5 Cabrio and every time I go past a speed-trap meter on the side of the road the speed it shows is always 2-3 MPH slower than what my speedometer shows, meaning that my speedometer is showing my speed as 2-3 miles faster than I'm actually driving. I thought I was imagining things, but tested these same radar traps with other cars and it measured each one exactly the same as the car's speedometer showed. So during my recent maintenance visit at my Audi dealer I told them about this problem assuming that this would be an easy adjustment. To my surprise, the answer that came back was that Audi is aware of this issue, and in fact, it is not an issue since my model is intentionally programmed this way so there is no "fix". I don't know if this applies to all S5 or A5 models, but it surely applies to S5 Cabrios. The good news is that it might save me from a speeding ticket someday, but I still think it is a rather strange setting. Has anybody had the same experience?
Old 05-19-2018, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

The few 'show your speed' radars I've driven by have either shown my exact speed, or it will display 1 MPH slower than what I am driving. Don't recall ever seeing 2-3 MPH slower though...
Old 05-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by viger
I'm driving an S5 Cabrio and every time I go past a speed-trap meter on the side of the road the speed it shows is always 2-3 MPH slower than what my speedometer shows, meaning that my speedometer is showing my speed as 2-3 miles faster than I'm actually driving. I thought I was imagining things, but tested these same radar traps with other cars and it measured each one exactly the same as the car's speedometer showed. So during my recent maintenance visit at my Audi dealer I told them about this problem assuming that this would be an easy adjustment. To my surprise, the answer that came back was that Audi is aware of this issue, and in fact, it is not an issue since my model is intentionally programmed this way so there is no "fix". I don't know if this applies to all S5 or A5 models, but it surely applies to S5 Cabrios. The good news is that it might save me from a speeding ticket someday, but I still think it is a rather strange setting. Has anybody had the same experience?
I don't know how fast you were going but 3 MPH at 60 is 5% off. The bigger issues are:
1- Your odometer is actually recording 5% more miles than you are driving, negatively affecting your resale value or your lease if you are leasing.
2- From Audi's point of view, they're unwilling to change this as it is boosting your MPG by 5%.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Speedometers are not a 100% accurate. International rules pretty much stipulate that they can never indicate a speed that's lower than your actual speed, but they are allowed to show up to 110% of your actual speed. The speed is measured based on tire rotations and since the diameter of a tire changes as the tire wears or with varying tire pressure there is no way for a speedometer to be a 100% accurate. On European cars, the speedometers generally show a 5% higher speed than your actual speed. This is perfectly normal and you'll find it to be similar on other cars.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by viger
I get the same thing. speed signs always read 2-3mph lower.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

A more accurate measurement is to compare speed displayed to Speed indicated by a GPS app like Waze. All of my Audis have been within 1 mph when checked this way. A Porsche Cayman I had on the other hand was off by at least 3%. Discussions on Porsche owners forums indicated that this was intentional on Porsche’s part and that they all were this way and read faster than actual.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

You might be able to adjust this using ODB11. I don't remember where exactly I saw it, but I thought there was a setting somewhere that allowed a correction factor to be entered for the speedometer reading.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Speedometers are not a 100% accurate. International rules pretty much stipulate that they can never indicate a speed that's lower than your actual speed, but they are allowed to show up to 110% of your actual speed. The speed is measured based on tire rotations and since the diameter of a tire changes as the tire wears or with varying tire pressure there is no way for a speedometer to be a 100% accurate. On European cars, the speedometers generally show a 5% higher speed than your actual speed. This is perfectly normal and you'll find it to be similar on other cars.
I'm in Croatia right now and when the Opel rental says 100km/h the roadside radar guns read 94km/h. So I gust go five faster (or more).
Old 05-20-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

It all depends on how good they are calibrated. traffic sign speed radar are fairly loose as they are just there to warn you of your speed so it not surprising that they are off by up to 10%.. That said, the couple we have around here matches dead on with my car speed.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I drive past about 4 traffic speed signs every day (yes taxachusettes lol) and they all read 3mph under. it's definitely my car.

Quick Reply: Speedometer reads 2-3 MPH faster than actual