A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Check coolant level warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check coolant level warning

I have a 2013 A4 Quattro 2.0 T that I have had for about 2 months. It has 72,000 miles on it. About a month ago after a drive where the engine got up to operating temperature I received a warning on the dashboard saying shutoff engine and check coolant level it is low. I admit I don't know what the level was at when I bought the car. Any way when the engine was no longer hot, it was closer to the min mark so I added a little bit. the warning went away. until this weekend I came home from driving it and shut the car off and was sitting in it with the ignition on only car was not running. After about 10 minutes the warning came on again. I am 99% sure the level is at the same spot I had filled it to the first time this happened. So I don't think it is loosing coolant and a head gasket issue. Also the fact that it was turned off for 10 minutes before the warning came on make me think it is a faulty sensor. I am having a hard time finding a sensor just the expansion tank. Is the sensor part of the tank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I contacted a parts department at an audi dealer by me but they said there is no such sensor, just a coolant temp sensor. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be a sensor but your symptoms are not unlike mine and it was a leaking water pump. Check for evidence of coolant loss under the car. Mine manifested itself as a drip on the oil pan. Not enough to show up in the driveway though. The WP on the 2.0 is located down low on the drivers side.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

treilley,
Thank you for the response. I'll check under there and look for any signs of a leak, however since you actually had a leak did you notice a drop in your coolant level? I am not seeing a drop in the level. If you were seeing a drop in your level which I guess you would with a leak in the WP, did your level ever drop below the min?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybird81
treilley,
Thank you for the response. I'll check under there and look for any signs of a leak, however since you actually had a leak did you notice a drop in your coolant level? I am not seeing a drop in the level. If you were seeing a drop in your level which I guess you would with a leak in the WP, did your level ever drop below the min?
Yes and No. The leak was intermittent so it was hard to diagnose. I would get the min level warning and top it off only to have it not leak for months and then get the warning again. My indy guy said that is typical. Has been fine a year after replacing the pump.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by treilley
Yes and No. The leak was intermittent so it was hard to diagnose. I would get the min level warning and top it off only to have it not leak for months and then get the warning again. My indy guy said that is typical. Has been fine a year after replacing the pump.
Think about it. The coolant system is a closed system so the only way you would lose coolant would be if you had a leak. There are various ways to lose coolant and some are slow while others a catastrophic. Then there are false readings like a bad sensor. Regardless of the fault the 1st thing that needs to be done is seek out the reason why.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, I've recently gotten this warning twice on my 2014 A4. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the coolant reservoir. I was wandering if this was related to the recall.

A blocked electric coolant pump or a short-circuited pump can increase the risk of a fire.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Not if they decided the action was to replace the reservoir. They must have decided there was a leak point in it somehow, either a crack or a problem with the join with either coolant tube connected to it. The recall is about the electrically driven aux coolant pump, iirc.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the response. I was told that there was no leak and proof was there on the driveway. It was mentioned that a blockage was the cause. I had it replaced and no warning seen so far.